Does this config make sense?

Discussion in 'AOpen' started by Jim Collins, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Jim Collins

    Jim Collins Guest

    Will these components work together and will the completed system be pretty
    decent?

    AOpen "AK79D-400 MAX" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A
    CPU -RETAIL
    $96.00

    AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.750GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
    $80.00

    ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model
    "CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
    $59.50

    Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM
    $78.00

    I already have a HD and CDR
    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Collins, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.

    On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:44:20 -0400, "Jim Collins"
    <> wrote:

    >Will these components work together and will the completed system be pretty
    >decent?
    >
    >AOpen "AK79D-400 MAX" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A
    >CPU -RETAIL
    >$96.00
    >
    >AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.750GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
    >$80.00
    >
    >ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model
    >"CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
    >$59.50
    >
    >Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM
    >$78.00
    >
    >I already have a HD and CDR
    >Thanks,
    >Jim

    HELLO NURSE.

    Orbital Defence, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Jim Collins

    Gnu_Raiz Guest

    Orbital Defence <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.
    >

    > On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:44:20 -0400, "Jim Collins"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Will these components work together and will the completed system be pretty
    > >decent?
    > >
    > >AOpen "AK79D-400 MAX" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A
    > >CPU -RETAIL
    > >$96.00
    > >
    > >AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.750GHz, Socket A Processor - Retail
    > >$80.00
    > >
    > >ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model
    > >"CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
    > >$59.50
    > >
    > >Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 8T - OEM
    > >$78.00
    > >
    > >I already have a HD and CDR
    > >Thanks,
    > >Jim
    > >

    > HELLO NURSE.

    Don't pay attention to the trolls, your system should be fine, Aopen
    makes good stable boards. You might want to consider using two 256MB
    dims, as this would take advantage of the dual channel memory. You
    might want to see the spec sheet on aopens site,
    http://usa.aopen.com/products/mb/AK79D-400Max.htm :

    They do not list the Sempron as listed, but it should work, as you
    know the Athlon XP series are about the same thing, and you can pick
    up the same chip for the same cost. I would just stick to the Athlon
    XP make sure its fsb 400 enabled. Also that board has everything, you
    could save a little money by getting a different model with less
    features.

    It all depends on what you are going to use the system for, if it is
    for games, and heavy sound use then its a great choice. If you plan on
    using Gnu/linux you might have problems getting the Nvidia chipset
    configured correctly, so it might be in your intrest in getting a VIA
    based board. You also do not mention what graphics card you might use,
    if your just plan on using your old card, then once again this board
    will work, but has everything. Maybe a less future rich board would be
    what you need, unless you really plan to use all the features. As you
    know this board is not future proof, Socket A is coming to the end of
    its upgrade life. But you should be able to get many years of service
    out of this board, I just hope it fits your needs.

    Gnu_Raiz

    Gnu_Raiz, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Jim Collins

    Harry Guest

    (Gnu_Raiz) wrote in

    > Orbital Defence <> wrote in message
    >> Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.
    >>

    >> HELLO NURSE.

    > Don't pay attention to the trolls, your system should be fine, Aopen
    > makes good stable boards.
    >
    > Gnu_Raiz

    I have just repeared my AOpen AX34-U motherboard due to leaking capacitors.
    I will never buy an AOpen motherboard again. For the same reason I will
    never buy Abit motherboards because my Abit VH6-II also had leaking
    capacitors. Next board will be Asus.

    Harry

    Harry, Sep 12, 2004
  5. Jim Collins

    Gnu_Raiz Guest

    Harry <> wrote in message news:<41445bd7$0$34762$4all.nl>...
    > (Gnu_Raiz) wrote in
    >
    > > Orbital Defence <> wrote in message
    > >> Dont get an Aopen Board man, get a Abit NF7-s 2.0, Aopen bites.
    > >>

    > >> HELLO NURSE.

    > > Don't pay attention to the trolls, your system should be fine, Aopen
    > > makes good stable boards.
    > >
    > > Gnu_Raiz
    > >

    > I have just repeared my AOpen AX34-U motherboard due to leaking capacitors.
    > I will never buy an AOpen motherboard again. For the same reason I will
    > never buy Abit motherboards because my Abit VH6-II also had leaking
    > capacitors. Next board will be Asus.
    >
    > Harry

    Got some bad news for ya man, even Asus has leaking capacitors!

    http://www.overclockers.com/tips00140/
    http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...3.html?1074613530 Asus + bad capacitors&hl=en
    http://www.badcaps.net/

    They only manufacture that states they do not use bad capacitors, or
    at least use high quality capacitors is Albatron. If your that
    concerned about bad quality then you might want to go for a
    motherboard with a long warranty.

    Gnu_Raiz

    Gnu_Raiz, Sep 13, 2004