Doubt regarding 8086 RealMode Address Calculation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mark_india, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. mark_india

    mark_india Guest

    In 8086 real mode addressing the 16 bit segment register is added with
    16 bit offset and 20 bit address is generated.
    Eg:
    Case 1:
    ********
    Segment Reg: B230
    Offset Reg: 2052

    Now the resulting 20 bit address is generated as
    Segment reg+ B230+
    offset 02052
    ------------------
    Address = B4352
    The resulting address generated is accessed.

    Case 2
    ******
    Now my doubt is what if Segment Register: FFFF and offset register:
    FFFF value
    in it.If we calculate the Resulting 20 bit address it will cause an
    overflow Right!!!!
    Can somebody clarify how 20 bit address is generated in this case?????

    Regds
    PS
    mark_india, Mar 18, 2005