    anyone know? How do I test it other than to allow the environment to
    heat up?

    Thanks, KK

    Ken, May 4, 2008

  2. On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:34:15 -0700, Ken <> wrote:

    >I am not sure if the fan header is thermostatically controlled

    If you look in the BIOS there are settings for Lowest System Fan Speed and
    System Fan Control. If system fan control is enabled, the fans will either
    spin slow at low temperatures or not at all, depending on the setting of
    lowest system fan speed setting, slow or off. If system fan control is
    disabled, the fans will spin at their maximum rate or whatever rate they
    adjust to if they have internal thermal control.

    https://www.mixmaster.it

    George Orwell, May 5, 2008

  3. Ken

    Bob Bailin Guest

    "Ken" <> wrote in message news:YcoTj.210$...
    >I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans in the back and
    >top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire connector.
    >
    > Using an adapter (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=3317)
    > can I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers individually, or
    > 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex connector---->fan Molex
    > connector--->adapter--->fan header )
    >
    > I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning. I am not sure if
    > the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does anyone know? How do I test it other
    > than to allow the environment to heat up?
    >
    > Thanks, KK

    I don't think you're allowed to use an old-style fan with a 4-pin Molex
    connector on the 3-pin motherboard fan ports because these old-style
    fans have only 2 wires for power and ground. The 3-wire fan ports
    expect power, ground and fan speed (tach).

    You can try going into the BIOS and changing the cooling method to
    the most aggressive, but I don't think you'll get them to work, and they
    definitely won't work at other than full-speed or no-speed.

    120mm fans with the proper 3-pin connector and tach are commonly
    available, even directly from Antec.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, May 5, 2008
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Bob Bailin said the following on 5/5/2008 1:06 PM:
    > "Ken" <> wrote in message news:YcoTj.210$...
    >> I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans in the back and
    >> top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire connector.
    >>
    >> Using an adapter (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=3317)
    >> can I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers individually, or
    >> 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex connector---->fan Molex
    >> connector--->adapter--->fan header )
    >>
    >> I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning. I am not sure if
    >> the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does anyone know? How do I test it other
    >> than to allow the environment to heat up?
    >>
    >> Thanks, KK

    > I don't think you're allowed to use an old-style fan with a 4-pin Molex
    > connector on the 3-pin motherboard fan ports because these old-style
    > fans have only 2 wires for power and ground. The 3-wire fan ports
    > expect power, ground and fan speed (tach).
    >
    > You can try going into the BIOS and changing the cooling method to
    > the most aggressive, but I don't think you'll get them to work, and they
    > definitely won't work at other than full-speed or no-speed.
    >
    > 120mm fans with the proper 3-pin connector and tach are commonly
    > available, even directly from Antec.
    >
    > Bob

    OK, I will check with Antec. The case is brand new, so I will see if
    they will swap out the fans.

    Thanks for the responses by you both. If either of you could take a
    look at my post from last week, I would appreciate it. I can understand
    what a thermal margin is but it doesn't give absolutes, only the
    "safety" margin, as I see it... I am a bit confused by it.

    Thanks again.

    Ken, May 5, 2008
  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Bob Bailin said the following on 5/5/2008 1:06 PM:
    > "Ken" <> wrote in message news:YcoTj.210$...
    >> I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans in the back and
    >> top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire connector.
    >>
    >> Using an adapter (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=3317)
    >> can I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers individually, or
    >> 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex connector---->fan Molex
    >> connector--->adapter--->fan header )
    >>
    >> I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning. I am not sure if
    >> the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does anyone know? How do I test it other
    >> than to allow the environment to heat up?
    >>
    >> Thanks, KK

    > I don't think you're allowed to use an old-style fan with a 4-pin Molex
    > connector on the 3-pin motherboard fan ports because these old-style
    > fans have only 2 wires for power and ground. The 3-wire fan ports
    > expect power, ground and fan speed (tach).
    >
    > You can try going into the BIOS and changing the cooling method to
    > the most aggressive, but I don't think you'll get them to work, and they
    > definitely won't work at other than full-speed or no-speed.
    >
    > 120mm fans with the proper 3-pin connector and tach are commonly
    > available, even directly from Antec.
    >
    > Bob

    No luck. Checked with Antec. Have to purchase new fans to replace my
    new fans.... but many thanks for explaining what needs to be done.
    KK

    Ken, May 6, 2008
  6. Ken

    John Doe Guest

    Ken <> wrote:

    > Have to purchase new fans to replace my new fans....

    Or maybe you can connect them to the power supply outputs.

    John Doe, May 6, 2008
  7. Ken

    Ken Guest

    John Doe said the following on 5/5/2008 4:51 PM:
    > Ken <> wrote:

    >> Have to purchase new fans to replace my new fans....

    > Or maybe you can connect them to the power supply outputs.

    No problem connecting them to the power supply Molex connectors. The
    interior of the case is rather cool at idle, and I leave the server on
    all the time. I thought I would enjoy the peace and quiet until the
    fans were needed by running them only as needed, controlled by the
    motherboard. Or is there some way of connecting them that you are
    alluding to which I may not understand???

    Thanks
    Ken K

    Ken, May 6, 2008
  8. Ken

    John Doe Guest

    Ken <> wrote:

    > No problem connecting them to the power supply Molex connectors.
    > The interior of the case is rather cool at idle, and I leave the
    > server on all the time. I thought I would enjoy the peace and
    > quiet until the fans were needed by running them only as needed,
    > controlled by the motherboard.

    Like Bob said, fans with the connectors you're looking for are
    common. I recently purchased a Hydro Wave (Panaflo) bearing fan for
    my new DP35DP. I know Panasonic is very proud of their fans, and I
    wanted one. Newegg sells fans that include a fan speed bracket, so
    you can adjust the fan speed manually (maybe in combination with
    temperature sensing).

    If you don't mind putting some research into the issue, maybe visit
    the site (www.silentpcreview.com). I'm not familiar with it, but
    they probably review lots of fans. Fans don't all make the same
    amount of noise.

    Good luck and have fun.

    John Doe, May 6, 2008
  9. Ken

    John Doe Guest

    George Orwell <nobody mixmaster.it> wrote:

    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:34:15 -0700, Ken <noreply charter.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I am not sure if the fan header is thermostatically controlled

    > If you look in the BIOS there are settings for Lowest System Fan Speed and
    > System Fan Control.

    Not in my BIOS 413 there isn't.

    Take a look at a DP35DP actual BIOS setup screen.

    John Doe, May 10, 2008
  10. Ken

    John Doe, May 10, 2008