    Max CPUID
    Display Setup Prompt

    Downgrade the BIOS to the next prior version?
    John Doe, May 9, 2008

  2. Looks like Intel removed fan control for system fans under the Fan Control
    menu. All that's there now are settings to control processor fan behavior,
    but not system fan.

    I've generally found motherboard fan control to be really problematic,
    which may be why the option was removed. You are better off buying fans
    that you plug directly into the power supply, and the fans determine how
    fast or slow to spin. I'm using an Antec tri-cool fan which came with the
    Solo case. The fan has a 3-position switch. The default was the slowest
    spin setting and all is well and quiet. Scythe makes some really quiet
    fans also:

    http://www.scythe-usa.com/

    https://www.mixmaster.it
    George Orwell, May 9, 2008

  3. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Actually, fan control is simple electronics.

    John Doe, May 9, 2008
  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I've tried flashing the BIOS to a version prior to 413 but it won't
    take. Maybe being unable to revert has something to do with having
    installed the Thermal Management Driver. Also, I was unable to
    completely remove the BIOS jumper and reboot to do a recovery
    install from a CD, the system hangs at startup, repeatedly trying to
    access the CD drive (I let it go for six minutes).

    The fan is fixed at 1000 rpm, so my new E6850 CPU cannot be
    exercised without overheating. Bummer.
    John Doe, May 9, 2008
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Jack D <> wrote:

    .... <see the prior post>

    Thanks for the information.

    I don't fully understand the justification for what they appear to
    be saying, but it's not just the behavior anyway, it's the fact BIOS
    settings are missing. Please let me know if you see the fan control
    options in your BIOS.

    I also had a problem with removing the BIOS jumper to do a recovery
    BIOS update. The system hangs while trying to access the CD drive
    after the jumper is removed. Then I did a maintenance startup and
    noticed that the QST was turned off. Turned it on but that didn't
    make any difference anywhere.

    I'm a gamer, so I need the CPU cooling for using both cores. My
    workaround is to alter the CPU fan connections. It's no big deal
    considering I got a mainboard for half-price, and I don't mind doing
    electrical alterations.

    Good luck and have fun.
    John Doe, May 9, 2008
  6. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    By the way.

    In case you run into the same problem with the CPU fan stuck at 1050
    rpm. As per the mainboard manual, three pin fan connectors can be
    attached. In order to make the fan rotate at about twice its speed,
    you can simply sever the fourth lead/wire. Apparently that lead
    controls the fan speed and keeps it low.

    I'm convinced that something is messed up in the BIOS, maybe having
    something to do with the chipset.
    John Doe, May 9, 2008
  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Well, it's been running full-time for over two days including some
    heavy online gaming, so all appears to be well otherwise. The fan
    problem is no big deal.
    John Doe, May 13, 2008
  8. John Doe

    Guest

    On May 13, 5:33 am, John Doe <> wrote:
    > Well, it's been running full-time for over two days including some
    > heavy online gaming, so all appears to be well otherwise. The fan
    > problem is no big deal.

    That's good news. Couple of questions John or anyone reading this. On
    the mainboard's CPU fan header, is it a 4 pin connection or is it a 3
    pin? Both CPU fans I have are 4-pin so hoping for some kind of fan
    speed control from the mobo. Are you running Windows Vista or XP? XP
    might still be the choice for gamers but I'm not one. I'm choosing
    Vista and concerned about the SP1 now coming out already on the OEM
    disks you can get. Did find some complaints in Microsoft's TechNet
    forum of people having compatability problems using the new SP1 with
    Vista and with the Intel DP35DP board. Hoping that it won't cause
    problems with the mainboard on the first time boot-up after installing
    all components. Still I think I will order this board and see what
    happens.
    Jack
    , May 13, 2008
  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    > ... all appears to be well otherwise.

    Except I'm getting program memory errors. I ran memtest86 overnight
    and got no errors, so I suspect it's software.

    I do hardware and I used to enjoy messing with Windows all day
    long, but I'd rather be messing around with applications nowadays.
    If I had to do it again, I would've ordered one of the Intel G33/G35
    chipset motherboards instead of the DP35DP.
    John Doe, May 13, 2008