    for the system.

    Thanks,
    Andrew
    berilthedwarf, Jan 4, 2008

  2. berilthedwarf

    CJT Guest

    berilthedwarf wrote:

    > I recently bought an Intel DP35DP motherboard with new proc and RAM to
    > upgrade an existing desktop machine. The old system has a dvdrw drive
    > and three (3) ide hdds. The motherboard only has one IDE chain, so
    > I've had to share it between the odd and system hdd (the other two
    > hdds plug into a seperate controller). Whats strange is that with the
    > OS HDD as master and ODD as slave the BIOS recognizes an HDD is
    > present but will not boot off of it, but it does boot a gentoo live
    > 2007 cd just fine, from which the OS HDD is accessible and seems to be
    > just fine. Stranger yet, without the ODD hooked up the BIOS does not
    > "see" the HDD at all. And before its asked, on this HDD, "master" and
    > "single" are the same setting.
    >
    > Does this mobo/BIOS not support booting IDE HDDs? I've tried all
    > sorts of combinations of BIOS settings to see if I could coax it into
    > working, but no luck. I was hoping someone could give me a definitive
    > answer either way before I dropped another $50 on a new SATA OS HDD
    > for the system.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew

    I recently bought my first Intel motherboard, and it has been a
    disaster. If I were you I'd scrap it and look elsewhere.

    CJT, Jan 5, 2008

  3. On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 01:10:29 GMT, CJT <> wrote:

    >I recently bought my first Intel motherboard, and it has been a
    >disaster. If I were you I'd scrap it and look elsewhere.

    That's silly. I have 4 intel boards and they've all been good. As for the
    OP, I suspect you have a jumper issue and/or you haven't configured the
    BIOS correctly. If you were to scrap anything, it should be ALL the PATA
    HDD's.

    https://www.mixmaster.it
    George Orwell, Jan 5, 2008
  4. berilthedwarf

    Charlie+ Guest

    On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 01:10:29 GMT, CJT <> wrote as underneath
    my scribble :

    I also baught my first Intel board for years to do an upgrade and find that if
    you try to access with w98se boot for maintenance / backup reasons, the CD/DVD
    cannot be accessed as it seems the interrupt request needed is not built into
    the bios, it seems that these boards using Intel chipsets (G33 in my case) are
    using that IRQ for other things and are making full dos based access impossible!
    I think I have also made a mistake buying this board.
    I havnt' tried booting from the IDE bus yet but will do so, thanks for the
    heads up.
    Charlie+

    Charlie+, Jan 6, 2008
  5. On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 09:44:20 +0000, Charlie+ <> wrote:

    >I also baught my first Intel board for years to do an upgrade and find that if
    >you try to access with w98se boot for maintenance / backup reasons, the CD/DVD
    >cannot be accessed as it seems the interrupt request needed is not built into
    >the bios, it seems that these boards using Intel chipsets (G33 in my case) are
    >using that IRQ for other things and are making full dos based access
    >impossible!

    Are you booting from a DOS floppy and then trying to access the CD drive?
    Please post the lines of your autoexec.bat and config.sys files. It will
    also help to know the versions of your mscdex.exe and aspicd.sys. The
    aspicd.sys is sometimes specific to a drive manufacturer, and can be
    downloaded from their website.

    Upgrade to Windows XP. Running Windows98 in 2008 is silly.

    https://www.mixmaster.it
    George Orwell, Jan 6, 2008
  6. berilthedwarf

    Guest

    On Jan 4, 8:10 pm, CJT <> wrote:
    > berilthedwarf wrote:
    > > I recently bought an Intel DP35DP motherboard with new proc and RAM to
    > > upgrade an existing desktop machine. The old system has a dvdrw drive
    > > and three (3) ide hdds. The motherboard only has one IDE chain, so
    > > I've had to share it between the odd and system hdd (the other two
    > > hdds plug into a seperate controller). Whats strange is that with the
    > > OS HDD as master and ODD as slave the BIOS recognizes an HDD is
    > > present but will not boot off of it, but it does boot a gentoo live
    > > 2007 cd just fine, from which the OS HDD is accessible and seems to be
    > > just fine. Stranger yet, without the ODD hooked up the BIOS does not
    > > "see" the HDD at all. And before its asked, on this HDD, "master" and
    > > "single" are the same setting.

    > > Does this mobo/BIOS not support booting IDE HDDs? I've tried all
    > > sorts of combinations of BIOS settings to see if I could coax it into
    > > working, but no luck. I was hoping someone could give me a definitive
    > > answer either way before I dropped another $50 on a new SATA OS HDD
    > > for the system.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Andrew

    > I recently bought my first Intel motherboard, and it has been a
    > disaster. If I were you I'd scrap it and look elsewhere.
    >
    > --
    > The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    > minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .

    Wow, that was a helpful comment.

    For what it's worth, I've been helping the OP with this project. we've
    tried a gigabyte motherboard, and an intel motherboard. The gigabyte
    was all sorts of buggy. (wouldn't reboot properly, things just didn't
    work at all, cdrom not recognized etc)

    This new setup is actually quite stable, it just doesn't boot off the
    ide drive.
    Now, testing with a SATA harddrive, Linux was installed on the sata
    drive (sata port 0) and grub installed in the MBR of that drive.
    Apparently the bios doesn't recognize that the sata drive is
    bootable. We tried loading windows as a last resort, but it won't
    even think about installing on the hardware (98, 2k, server 2k3, and
    xp all fail misserably during the initial steps of the install I was
    told)

    Does anyone have any constructive ideas for what might be causing the
    motherboard to
    A) Not detect IDE devices unless there are 2 of them
    B) not realize that a sata drive on sata0 with grub in the MBR is
    bootable
    C) cause windows to fail the initial stages of installation

    Apparently, once the system is in linux (using a boot CD) everything
    seems to work perfectly.

    Thanks in advance.
    --Andrew
    , Jan 6, 2008
  7. On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 14:14:48 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any constructive ideas for what might be causing the
    >motherboard to
    >A) Not detect IDE devices unless there are 2 of them
    >B) not realize that a sata drive on sata0 with grub in the MBR is
    >bootable
    >C) cause windows to fail the initial stages of installation

    Here are the BIOS settings from my DP35DP system which will remove the
    motherboard as the cause for why you can't boot from your drive:

    Under Advanced, Drive Configuration, set ATA/IDE Mode as Native. Configure
    SATA as IDE. The motherboard ships be default in a RAID configuration, and
    there's a piece of paper that came in the box that warns to set the
    configuration to something other than RAID if you aren't doing RAID. Do
    not set the configuration to AHCI unless you are prepared to insert a
    driver into an XP install or are installing Vista, where AHCI has native
    support. AHCI enables NCQ.

    Under Boot, you set the Boot Device Priority. You move items up or down
    using plus or minus. You are choosing between a ROM drive, HD, or a
    removable.

    There are two other listings, HD and CD/DVD-ROM order. If you want to boot
    from the HD connected to SATA port 0, make sure that hard drive is listed
    first in the HD Order, and you have a HD listed first in boot priority.
    Actually, you can have a ROM listed first in boot priority. If no
    CD/DVD-ROM is present in the drive, the next device in the boot order is
    given the bootstrap instruction.

    One thing I cannot say for sure is if you can boot from a HD connected to
    the PATA interface. I don't see why not though. If the system will boot
    from a CD/DVD connected to the PATA interface, an HD should be no
    different. Again, it's all about how you have the boot and HD order
    configured. Make sure you save before exiting. Also make sure you've
    flashed to the latest BIOS. You can burn an ISO of the latest BIOS. The
    Intel website gives all the details on how to flash with an ISO. It's very
    easy, I've done it, works like a charm.

    If you've set the boot device priority to an HD and have your bootable HD
    listed first, and you still can't boot from that disk, then you have a
    partition problem. The BIOS has no concept of whether an HD is bootable.
    It simply tries to boot from a designated drive. If the drive doesn't
    boot, the BIOS goes down the list. If nothing boots, then the BIOS
    displays ROM BASIC. (oh wait, that was for the 1st IBM PC, nevermind:)

    As was written earlier, you will get a BSOD if you install Windows XP SP1
    or earlier. You need to install XP SP2 or later or you will get a BSOD.
    The crash seems to happen during hardware detection.

    https://www.mixmaster.it
    George Orwell, Jan 7, 2008
  8. berilthedwarf

    Charlie+ Guest

    On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:13:08 +0100 (CET), George Orwell <>
    wrote as underneath my scribble :

    You didnt read what I said properly silly - this is in case of hdisk maintenance
    that you cant do when running windows. In fact Intel admit that it is not
    possible to run under w98se boot on this modern offering of theirs!
    Nothing to do with the standard floppy boot disk!
    Charlie+

    Charlie+, Jan 7, 2008