Dragon 2 SATA Boot with PATA Data drives

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by justjoe, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. justjoe

    justjoe Guest

    Hi there. I have been trying to make this work for a while and simply
    cannot. I need a little help... ;)

    All I am trying to do is to make the system boot off of the SATA drive
    and use the PATA drives for data. Sounds simple. Everything is wired
    up right. Proper drivers were installed during WinXPsp2 installation.
    It boots fine in SATA Only Mode and in Combined Mode.

    Neither of the above modes show the PATA drives in Windows on either
    the Highpoint controller or on either channel of the ICH5 controller.

    Enhanced Mode (ide+sata) Will not boot off of the SATA drive. I have
    tried everything to make it do so.

    I was hoping for suggestions... :)

    Setup as Follows:

    1x SATA Drive on SATA1
    2x dvd drives on IDE1 or IDE2 (master-slave)
    1x PATA Drive on IDE1 or IDE2 (master)
    1x PATA Drive on IDE3 (master)
    1x PATA Drive on IDE4 (master)

    I have tried it with or without any PATA Drives on IDE1/IDE2. It will
    boot in combined mode but still shows no drives on IDE3/IDE4.

    It will not boot in Enhanced mode no matter what PATA drives are
    connected.

    I have also changed the boot order to include SCSI or not etc to see if
    that would do it. Nope.

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. It is a great board running
    at max fsb (255). The Prescott chip does not even reach 50c running at
    3.85Ghz with 1GB OCZ Platnium RAM.

    One note... this is the non-platinum (I think it is vers.1) of the
    board. I thought it was the platinum when I bought it (looked
    Identical etc...) but it was not...

    Are there any other differences between the two boards other than the
    gigabit ethernet? (I could not return or exchange the board... sucked)
    I know bios's do not seem to be updated for my version of the board...
    but it seems to run fine... fast and cool.

    Thanks for any info.

    Joe.
    justjoe, Apr 7, 2005

  2. justjoe

    justjoe Guest

    What I am asking I guess is simply is it possible to have this board
    Boot from an SATA drive with anything connected to IDE channels 1,3,4??
    It will boot in "Enhanced mode" (sata+ide), but it then only
    recognizes the ide2 channel. Kinda sucks.
    justjoe, Apr 7, 2005

  3. justjoe

    justjoe Guest

    Or another way is: Is there any way to recognize drives connected to
    the HPT372 (ide3,4) in windows if it is booted in combined mode? You
    would think that this would work and you would at least be able to see
    those devices.
    justjoe, Apr 7, 2005
  4. justjoe

    justjoe Guest

    Well... for some reason now after a bios reset it works.

    Hmm... did not think of doing that... and no idea why it makes a
    diff... but it does... yaaaa.
    justjoe, Apr 7, 2005