Dreaded Inspiron 1545 "Plugged In - Not Charging"

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Rich, Apr 27, 2011.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    Greetings,

    In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
    graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me that
    the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of issues
    with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or may not work,
    ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest, uninstall/reinstall power
    management software) to hardware (Charger cord, power board, motherboard,
    battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed to randomly perform one of the four
    hardware solutions which would work for a few months after which the problem
    would return. Then the 1 year warranties would run out. Since the laptop
    dual-boots with Vista/Windows 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled
    out software. I jiggled the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it
    will only charge with a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the
    laptop while sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand
    whereby a new cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until
    whatever faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue &
    beefed up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
    unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively inexpensive.
    I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
    waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do any of
    you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can you confirm
    what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web which pretty
    definitively claims that the power board behind the plug receptacle need
    replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience repairing my own
    desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS laptop about 10 years
    ago. If the power board needs replacing, is soldering required? If not, is
    it a repair that an amateur enthusiast could perform.
    Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is the
    consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700 range that
    can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking" somehow?
    Thanks for looking.

    Rich

    Rich, Apr 27, 2011

  2. Rich

    Justin Guest

    On 4/27/2011 2:06 AM, Rich wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
    > graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
    > that the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of
    > issues with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or
    > may not work, ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest,
    > uninstall/reinstall power management software) to hardware (Charger
    > cord, power board, motherboard, battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed
    > to randomly perform one of the four hardware solutions which would work
    > for a few months after which the problem would return. Then the 1 year
    > warranties would run out. Since the laptop dual-boots with Vista/Windows
    > 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled out software. I jiggled
    > the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only charge with
    > a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the laptop while
    > sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand whereby a new
    > cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until whatever
    > faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue & beefed
    > up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
    > unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively
    > inexpensive.
    > I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
    > waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do
    > any of you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can
    > you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web
    > which pretty definitively claims that the power board behind the plug
    > receptacle need replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience
    > repairing my own desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS
    > laptop about 10 years ago. If the power board needs replacing, is
    > soldering required? If not, is it a repair that an amateur enthusiast
    > could perform.
    > Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
    > the consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700
    > range that can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking"
    > somehow?
    > Thanks for looking.
    >
    > Rich

    Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
    Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.

    If you know somebody who can solder he can resolder or replace just the
    DC port on the board.

    Justin, Apr 27, 2011

  3. Rich

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Apr 27, 6:37 am, Justin <> wrote:
    > On 4/27/2011 2:06 AM, Rich wrote:
    >

    > > Greetings,

    > > In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
    > > graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
    > > that the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of
    > > issues with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or
    > > may not work, ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest,
    > > uninstall/reinstall power management software) to hardware (Charger
    > > cord, power board, motherboard, battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed
    > > to randomly perform one of the four hardware solutions which would work
    > > for a few months after which the problem would return. Then the 1 year
    > > warranties would run out. Since the laptop dual-boots with Vista/Windows
    > > 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled out software. I jiggled
    > > the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only charge with
    > > a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the laptop while
    > > sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand whereby a new
    > > cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until whatever
    > > faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue & beefed
    > > up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
    > > unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively
    > > inexpensive.
    > > I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
    > > waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do
    > > any of you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can
    > > you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web
    > > which pretty definitively claims that the power board behind the plug
    > > receptacle need replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience
    > > repairing my own desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS
    > > laptop about 10 years ago. If the power board needs replacing, is
    > > soldering required? If not, is it a repair that an amateur enthusiast
    > > could perform.
    > > Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
    > > the consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700
    > > range that can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking"
    > > somehow?
    > > Thanks for looking.

    > > Rich

    > Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
    > Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.
    >
    > If you know somebody who can solder he can resolder or replace just the
    > DC port on the board.

    Yes, failed power jack. A chronic problem in the industry, not just
    with Dells. Power jack usually held in place only by cheap, flimsy,
    soft solder. Planned obsolesence? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 27, 2011
  4. On 4/27/2011 2:06 AM, Rich wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
    > graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
    > that the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of
    > issues with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or
    > may not work, ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest,
    > uninstall/reinstall power management software) to hardware (Charger
    > cord, power board, motherboard, battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed
    > to randomly perform one of the four hardware solutions which would work
    > for a few months after which the problem would return. Then the 1 year
    > warranties would run out. Since the laptop dual-boots with Vista/Windows
    > 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled out software. I jiggled
    > the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only charge with
    > a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the laptop while
    > sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand whereby a new
    > cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until whatever
    > faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue & beefed
    > up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
    > unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively
    > inexpensive.
    > I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
    > waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do
    > any of you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can
    > you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web
    > which pretty definitively claims that the power board behind the plug
    > receptacle need replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience
    > repairing my own desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS
    > laptop about 10 years ago. If the power board needs replacing, is
    > soldering required? If not, is it a repair that an amateur enthusiast
    > could perform.
    > Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
    > the consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700
    > range that can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking"
    > somehow?
    > Thanks for looking.
    >
    > Rich

    the symptoms suggest that the power jack inside of the laptop has come
    loose from the power jack board and/or the jack has internal damage.
    the part is under $5 from many sellers on ebay but requires that you do
    a nearly complete disassembly of the system and solder on the new part.
    alternatively you can buy a complete power jack board for about $30 on
    ebay and avoid the soldering. still, installing even the power jack
    board represents a bit work and probably beyond what most people want to
    do themselves. i suspect it would be about a $250 job from a repair
    shop to do for you. have a look on youtube to see what is involved for
    the repair:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0B7emR51I
    They show the jack, but the do not show soldering in a replacement.
    You may notice the person going back and forth to disconnect or unscrew
    missed items. this would not happen if you or that person followed the
    instructions in the service manual available on support.dell.com.

    Christopher Muto, Apr 27, 2011
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    > the symptoms suggest that the power jack inside of the laptop has come
    > loose from the power jack board and/or the jack has internal damage. the
    > part is under $5 from many sellers on ebay but requires that you do a
    > nearly complete disassembly of the system and solder on the new part.
    > alternatively you can buy a complete power jack board for about $30 on
    > ebay and avoid the soldering. still, installing even the power jack board
    > represents a bit work and probably beyond what most people want to do
    > themselves. i suspect it would be about a $250 job from a repair shop to
    > do for you. have a look on youtube to see what is involved for the repair:
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0B7emR51I
    > They show the jack, but the do not show soldering in a replacement.
    > You may notice the person going back and forth to disconnect or unscrew
    > missed items. this would not happen if you or that person followed the
    > instructions in the service manual available on support.dell.com.

    Unbelievable......thanks for the link to that video. However, when I watched
    several of the other videos showing uninstalling the power management
    software, removing the battery & then replacing the battery, it made me
    pause. I just checked her laptop & it is now charging without any help. Now
    I am not totally convinced it is a bad power board. I will watch the
    situation for a while. If it reappears, I will try the other methods. With
    my luck, if I tear down the laptop it will not boot or the video will not
    work,etc. upon reassembly. By the time you pay a professional you're
    practically half way to a new laptop. If it is broken hardware, it
    definitely seems like planned obsolescence as mentioned by Ben in a previous
    post.
    Thanks for all the inputs.

    Rich

    Rich, Apr 27, 2011
  6. Rich

    rb Guest

    Rich;1285752 Wrote:
    > In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grad
    > graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs m
    > that the battery won't charge.
    > I jiggled the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will onl
    > charge with a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the
    > laptop while sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understan
    >
    > whereby a new cord or power board may fix the problem for a few month
    > until whatever faulty pin/contact fails again.
    > Before I waste time trying a new charging cord, power board o
    > motherboard, do any of you have experience with or repairing thi
    > problem? If so, can you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read on
    > post on the web which pretty definitively claims that the power boar
    > behind the plug receptacle need replacing. Is this the case?
    > If the power board needs replacing, is soldering required? If not, is
    > it a repair that an amateur enthusiast could perform.
    >
    > Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what i
    > the
    > consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700 rang
    > that
    > can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking" somehow?
    > Thanks for looking.
    >
    > Rich

    The solder joints at the power jack may have failed, or the power boar
    may have 'fatigue' damage....tugging on the adapter cord. :(
    That said, the power board costs approx $50, is approx 1x7 and attache
    with 2 screws...relatively easy to remove but requires removal of th
    motherboard and other components. :eek:
    Please verify the exact part number you need first, but this should b
    the one--> Inspiron 1545 Charger Board Power USB 48.4AQ03.021

    As for a new unit, imho Gateway, and HP are among the best, (H
    business models are fairly rugged and a few are in your price range). :

    rb, Apr 28, 2011
  7. Rich

    Rich Guest

    > The solder joints at the power jack may have failed, or the power board
    > may have 'fatigue' damage....tugging on the adapter cord. :(
    > That said, the power board costs approx $50, is approx 1x7 and attached
    > with 2 screws...relatively easy to remove but requires removal of the
    > motherboard and other components. :eek:
    > Please verify the exact part number you need first, but this should be
    > the one--> Inspiron 1545 Charger Board Power USB 48.4AQ03.021
    >
    > As for a new unit, imho Gateway, and HP are among the best, (HP
    > business models are fairly rugged and a few are in your price range). :)

    Thanks for the providing that exact part number. I will save it hoping I
    will never need to have one installed. Thanks also for the opinions on
    laptop recommendations regarding ruggedness. Interestingly many of the
    videos of this problem on Ebay were for HP laptops. All were fixed at least
    temporarily with removing the power management software from the control
    panel, taking out the battery & replacing it after running the laptop
    without it for a while. Then the power management device is reinstalled by
    Windows 7 or Vista. One person routinely performs a system restore when the
    problem returns every few months. This seems to point to some driver getting
    corrupted in Windows 7/Vista & doing a system restore from the last time the
    computer had no problem or reinstalling the driver corrects it.
    I believe that it probably is an unrelated combination of a software &
    hardware problem.
    Thanks again for the input.

    Rich

    Rich, Apr 28, 2011
  8. Rich

    mm Guest

    On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:40:30 -0500, rb <>
    wrote:

    >Rich;1285752 Wrote:
    >> In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
    >> graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me
    >> that the battery won't charge.
    >> I jiggled the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it will only
    >> charge with a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the
    >> laptop while sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand
    >>
    >> whereby a new cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months
    >> until whatever faulty pin/contact fails again.
    >> Before I waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or
    >> motherboard, do any of you have experience with or repairing this
    >> problem? If so, can you confirm what hardware need replacing? I read one
    >> post on the web which pretty definitively claims that the power board
    >> behind the plug receptacle need replacing. Is this the case?
    >> If the power board needs replacing, is soldering required? If not, is
    >> it a repair that an amateur enthusiast could perform.
    >>
    >> Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is
    >> the
    >> consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700 range
    >> that
    >> can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking" somehow?
    >> Thanks for looking.
    >>
    >> Rich

    >The solder joints at the power jack may have failed, or the power board
    >may have 'fatigue' damage....tugging on the adapter cord. :(
    >That said, the power board costs approx $50, is approx 1x7 and attached
    >with 2 screws...relatively easy to remove but requires removal of the
    >motherboard and other components. :eek:
    >Please verify the exact part number you need first, but this should be
    >the one--> Inspiron 1545 Charger Board Power USB 48.4AQ03.021
    >
    >As for a new unit, imho Gateway, and HP are among the best, (HP
    >business models are fairly rugged and a few are in your price range). :)

    Does the plug on the cord ever break? Or is it always the jack?

    The people who gave me the 4700 also gave me a C800, but they don't
    have the power supply. It takes a PA-6 but I guess there are other
    PA-n's, depending on the model of laptop. The PA-6 is only 10 or 12
    dollars on Amazon with no shipping if you can find 15 other
    no-shipping dollars to spend. Somewhere there was also the power
    supply cord without the cord from the wall to the brick, or something
    like that, for 10 dollars.

    Someone sells the plub alone, for about 4 dollars, but then chargea
    mimimum of $6.25 for shipping, "Cheapest shipping with tracking", so
    their insistence on giving me tracking makes the item cost 2.5 times
    as much as it did. Bettter to buy the whole cord.

    mm, Apr 28, 2011
  9. Rich

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:ip8rm7$m2k$,
    Justin wrote:
    > Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
    > Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.

    My first laptop was back in '84 and I had about 20 laptops since then.
    And I never had a DC jack problem, but I have worked on many that have.
    And that Magsafe thing can pop off very easy. So I don't see that as a
    very good solution. Although probably better than nothing. ;-)

    Although what gets overlooked a lot are laptops with a docking station
    option. As I never heard of a docking station connector ever going bad
    yet. And I have been using them for years and connect, remove, and
    reconnect a lot with them. Plus there are no cables to remove to go
    portable either. ;-)

    --
    Bill
    Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    BillW50, Apr 30, 2011
  10. Rich

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Apr 30, 9:01 am, "BillW50" <> wrote:
    > Innews:ip8rm7$m2k$,
    >
    > Justin wrote:
    > > Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
    > > Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.

    > My first laptop was back in '84 and I had about 20 laptops since then.
    > And I never had a DC jack problem, but I have worked on many that have.
    > And that Magsafe thing can pop off very easy. So I don't see that as a
    > very good solution. Although probably better than nothing. ;-)
    >
    > Although what gets overlooked a lot are laptops with a docking station
    > option. As I never heard of a docking station connector ever going bad
    > yet. And I have been using them for years and connect, remove, and
    > reconnect a lot with them. Plus there are no cables to remove to go
    > portable either. ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Gateway M465e ('06 era) - OE-QuoteFix v1.19.2
    > Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

    So a docking station is a condom for your power jack? ;.) Bet you
    never thought of it that way. But I watch South Park... Ben

    Ben Myers, May 1, 2011
  11. Rich

    BillW50 Guest

    On 4/30/2011 9:07 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
    > On Apr 30, 9:01 am, "BillW50"<> wrote:
    >> Innews:ip8rm7$m2k$,
    >>
    >> Justin wrote:
    >>> Sounds like your DC plug is damaged and not making good contact.
    >>> Macbooks have the Magsafe which eliminates this problem.

    >> My first laptop was back in '84 and I had about 20 laptops since then.
    >> And I never had a DC jack problem, but I have worked on many that have.
    >> And that Magsafe thing can pop off very easy. So I don't see that as a
    >> very good solution. Although probably better than nothing. ;-)
    >>
    >> Although what gets overlooked a lot are laptops with a docking station
    >> option. As I never heard of a docking station connector ever going bad
    >> yet. And I have been using them for years and connect, remove, and
    >> reconnect a lot with them. Plus there are no cables to remove to go
    >> portable either. ;-)

    > So a docking station is a condom for your power jack? ;.) Bet you
    > never thought of it that way. But I watch South Park... Ben

    Yeah, I suppose you can think of it that way. lol

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0

    BillW50, May 7, 2011
  12. On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:06:01 -0700, Rich wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > In July 2009 I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop as an 8th grade
    > graduation gift for my daughter. About six months ago she informs me that
    > the battery won't charge. A quick internet search revealed pages of issues
    > with about a half dozen "solutions" to the problem that may or may not work,
    > ranging from software (Flash BIOS to latest, uninstall/reinstall power
    > management software) to hardware (Charger cord, power board, motherboard,
    > battery). Dell's modus operandi seemed to randomly perform one of the four
    > hardware solutions which would work for a few months after which the problem
    > would return. Then the 1 year warranties would run out. Since the laptop
    > dual-boots with Vista/Windows 7, reproducing the problem in both OS's ruled
    > out software. I jiggled the cord & it seemed OK for a few months. Now, it
    > will only charge with a wad of foam wedged under the cable connection to the
    > laptop while sitting on a hard surface. Based on this, I can understand
    > whereby a new cord or power board may fix the problem for a few months until
    > whatever faulty pin/contact fails again. Unless Dell embraced the issue &
    > beefed up the faulty part, I can see where this may be a losing proposition
    > unless I can repair it myself & the required part is relatively inexpensive.
    > I know there are several computer repair experts on this group. Before I
    > waste time trying a new charging cord, power board or motherboard, do any of
    > you have experience with or repairing this problem? If so, can you confirm
    > what hardware need replacing? I read one post on the web which pretty
    > definitively claims that the power board behind the plug receptacle need
    > replacing. Is this the case? I have extensive experience repairing my own
    > desktops & some experience upgrading an old 1997 EPS laptop about 10 years
    > ago. If the power board needs replacing, is soldering required? If not, is
    > it a repair that an amateur enthusiast could perform.
    > Finally, if the cost of fixing this is several hundred dollars, what is the
    > consensus of this group as to the best laptop in the $600 to $700 range that
    > can reasonably sustain some wear & tear without "breaking" somehow?
    > Thanks for looking.
    >
    > Rich

    You didn't get the 3 year warranty for a 14 year old girl?!?!?!
    Or a Complete Care warranty...for a 14 year old girl?!?!?!?!?!?!

    Complete care=run it over with a car, we'll come fix it!

    At any rate, try a different DELL!!!! charger of the same type (PA-12 or
    whatever listed on the original charger). Plug it in, leave it for a
    minute or two, boot and press F2. Go into the BIOS and look at SYSTEM or
    POWER / BATTERY and see if the charger is recognized. If it is the
    charging circuit is probably OK and a new charger/adapter is needed.

    There is a "feedback' circuit in the charger and if the wire breaks...and
    it does...often...then a new charger is in order. Try to get a REAL
    Dell...some of the cheap knock-offs, esp the Chinese ones for $50 actually
    damamge the computer.

    If the charger is not seen in the BIOS or the battery does not say
    "Charging" you need a new board.

    Hope you luck out. 8 out of ten times, it's the charger itself. And if you
    do get a new charger, wrap the end near the computer connection with
    electrical tape to keep it from flexing and breaking the wire.

    Good Luck

    Dell Certified Field Engineer.

    Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B, May 21, 2011
  13. Rich

    Ben Myers Guest

    On May 21, 4:54 pm, Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B <> wrote:
> [...]

    > whatever listed on the original charger). Plug it in, leave it for a
    > minute or two, boot and press F2. Go into the BIOS and look at SYSTEM or
    > POWER / BATTERY and see if the charger is recognized. If it is the
    > charging circuit is probably OK and a new charger/adapter is needed.
    >
    > There is a "feedback' circuit in the charger and if the wire breaks...and
    > it does...often...then a new charger is in order. Try to get a REAL
    > Dell...some of the cheap knock-offs, esp the Chinese ones for $50 actually
    > damamge the computer.
    >
    > If the charger is not seen in the BIOS or the battery does not say
    > "Charging" you need a new board.
    >
    > Hope you luck out. 8 out of ten times, it's the charger itself. And if you
    > do get a new charger, wrap the end near the computer connection with
    > electrical tape to keep it from flexing and breaking the wire.

    The 14-year old girl already has complete care from mom and dad, but
    no warranty. They can't take her back to get a refund... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 22, 2011
  14. On Sat, 21 May 2011 18:35:53 -0700, Ben Myers wrote:

> [...]

    >> charging circuit is probably OK and a new charger/adapter is needed.
    >>
    >> There is a "feedback' circuit in the charger and if the wire breaks...and
    >> it does...often...then a new charger is in order. Try to get a REAL
    >> Dell...some of the cheap knock-offs, esp the Chinese ones for $50 actually
    >> damamge the computer.
    >>
    >> If the charger is not seen in the BIOS or the battery does not say
    >> "Charging" you need a new board.
    >>
    >> Hope you luck out. 8 out of ten times, it's the charger itself. And if you
    >> do get a new charger, wrap the end near the computer connection with
    >> electrical tape to keep it from flexing and breaking the wire.
    >>
    >> Good Luck
    >>
    >> Dell Certified Field Engineer.

    > The 14-year old girl already has complete care from mom and dad, but
    > no warranty. They can't take her back to get a refund... Ben Myers

    True that.

    Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B, May 22, 2011
  15. Rich

    Rich Guest

    "Hachiroku ãƒãƒãƒ­ã‚¯" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > whatever listed on the original charger). Plug it in, leave it for a
    > minute or two, boot and press F2. Go into the BIOS and look at SYSTEM or
    > POWER / BATTERY and see if the charger is recognized. If it is the
    > charging circuit is probably OK and a new charger/adapter is needed.
    >
    > There is a "feedback' circuit in the charger and if the wire breaks...and
    > it does...often...then a new charger is in order. Try to get a REAL
    > Dell...some of the cheap knock-offs, esp the Chinese ones for $50 actually
    > damamge the computer.
    >
    > If the charger is not seen in the BIOS or the battery does not say
    > "Charging" you need a new board.
    >
    > Hope you luck out. 8 out of ten times, it's the charger itself. And if you
    > do get a new charger, wrap the end near the computer connection with
    > electrical tape to keep it from flexing and breaking the wire.

    First of all: I saved your response because it contains a lot of excellent
    information about this issue

    Second: Your statement about a 14 year old & gadgets is oh so true but is
    moot because.....

    Third: I learned in medical rounds as a pharmacy student that in medical
    diagnosis there is a saying..."if you hear hoof beats in Central Park, it
    probably is not a Zebra". You might have missed my follow-up on 5-1-2011:

    " For a couple of days after wedging some foam under the plug & flashing the
    BIOS (I don't think it was relevant) the battery was charging without
    intervention. Yesterday, I plugged the laptop back in & it was "plugged-in,
    not charging" again. Then I tried one simple solution demonstrated on
    YouTube. Grasping the charging cable behind the laptop jack, I twist the
    jack about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn & insert into laptop. Voila..."plugged in,
    charging". The plug is loose in the laptop & has an octagonal shape. With
    the
    twist, the plug is under slight rotational tension thereby making good
    contact with all charging surfaces in the plug, This could explain why
    replacing of various hardware components fixed the problem temporarily due
    to providing a tighter plug with the new hardware & why it probably will
    return in a few months when the connection loosens again.
    The bottom line is anyone with this problem may as well try just twisting
    the plug slightly instead of replacing expensive hardware over & over until
    the simple twist solution no longer fixes it.
    Ironically, I purchased an Inspiron 1011 net book in the same order in 2009.
    The charging jack is a simple round plug that remains snug & charges with
    out incident the two years since."

    Three weeks later & I have not received a tech support request from my
    daughter.

    Thanks again for your expertise

    Rich

    Rich, May 22, 2011
  16. On Sun, 22 May 2011 02:30:56 -0700, Rich wrote:

> [...]

    > the
    > twist, the plug is under slight rotational tension thereby making good
    > contact with all charging surfaces in the plug, This could explain why
    > replacing of various hardware components fixed the problem temporarily due
    > to providing a tighter plug with the new hardware & why it probably will
    > return in a few months when the connection loosens again.
    > The bottom line is anyone with this problem may as well try just twisting
    > the plug slightly instead of replacing expensive hardware over & over until
    > the simple twist solution no longer fixes it.
    > Ironically, I purchased an Inspiron 1011 net book in the same order in 2009.
    > The charging jack is a simple round plug that remains snug & charges with
    > out incident the two years since."
    >
    > Three weeks later & I have not received a tech support request from my

    LOL! Gotta keep the kids happy!

    Yeah, that's the other thing that happens...the jack gets loose. This
    particular model I am not sure of, but on some the jack is directly
    soldered onto the mobo, and therefore a BEAR to deal with, and on others
    it's on a cable isolated from the Mobo. Not a hard repair.

    The other thing it the ethernet jacks. They are miserable! They are SO
    tight people siggle the cables to get them out...and crack the solder
    joints!

    Hope all goes well!

    Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B, May 25, 2011
  17. Rich

    Rich Guest

    >> Three weeks later & I have not received a tech support request from my
    >> daughter.
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your expertise
    >>
    >> Rich

    > LOL! Gotta keep the kids happy!
    >
    > Yeah, that's the other thing that happens...the jack gets loose. This
    > particular model I am not sure of, but on some the jack is directly
    > soldered onto the mobo, and therefore a BEAR to deal with, and on others
    > it's on a cable isolated from the Mobo. Not a hard repair.
    >
    > The other thing it the ethernet jacks. They are miserable! They are SO
    > tight people siggle the cables to get them out...and crack the solder
    > joints!
    >
    > Hope all goes well!

    Yes, the jack is soldered to the power daughterboard. When I watched the
    YouTube video demonstrating the process to replace the power board it gave
    me chills, requiring a near complete disassembly of the laptop.
    It's nice to add an actual Dell technician to the excellent pros already
    contributing on this group. I hope you stick around.
    Thanks again.
    Rich

    Rich, May 25, 2011
  18. On Tue, 24 May 2011 23:22:54 -0700, Rich wrote:

    >>> Three weeks later & I have not received a tech support request from my
    >>> daughter.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again for your expertise
    >>>
    >>> Rich

    >> LOL! Gotta keep the kids happy!
    >>
    >> Yeah, that's the other thing that happens...the jack gets loose. This
    >> particular model I am not sure of, but on some the jack is directly
    >> soldered onto the mobo, and therefore a BEAR to deal with, and on others
    >> it's on a cable isolated from the Mobo. Not a hard repair.
    >>
    >> The other thing it the ethernet jacks. They are miserable! They are SO
    >> tight people siggle the cables to get them out...and crack the solder
    >> joints!
    >>
    >> Hope all goes well!
    >>

    > Yes, the jack is soldered to the power daughterboard. When I watched the
    > YouTube video demonstrating the process to replace the power board it gave
    > me chills, requiring a near complete disassembly of the laptop.
    > It's nice to add an actual Dell technician to the excellent pros already
    > contributing on this group. I hope you stick around.
    > Thanks again.
    > Rich

    The only problem is, I get to see the WORST!

    I figure, for every one unit I see, there are probably 1-200 more I don't.

    I hope! ;)

    Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B, May 27, 2011
  19. Rich

    Jgavin11

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Dell 1545 Plugged In Not Charging

    Is there a way to bypass the System BIOS and force the battery to charge by chance?

    Jgavin11, Sep 2, 2011