    "D". This can't be changed under Administrative Tools. Anybody have any
    ideas how to reassign the correct letters without doing another clean
    install?
    Paul J. Veres, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Paul J. Veres

    Jbob Guest

    I had seen this problem before and got an answer but don't remember what it
    was now(sorry). I just reloaded WinXP on a backup system and this
    peculiararity happened again. All I did was to reformat and reinstall and
    it works the second time properly.

    "Paul J. Veres" <> wrote in message
    > When I installed WinXP Pro to my system, it assigned my first hard drive

    the
    > letter "E" instead of "C" and my second hard drive the letter "C" instead

    of

    Jbob, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Paul J. Veres

    B Guest

    You'll have to do another clean install but first of all ensure that the 1st
    hard drive you wish to use as the system drive is assigned as the master and
    the 2nd hard drive as the slave. When you start the setup with XP delete the
    2nd drive and do not format it and then quit the setup and physically
    disconnect the 2nd hard drive with power removed of course. Startup your PC
    and start the windows XP setup from CD and delete the 1st hard drive info
    and format it and load Win XP to it.

    regards

    B, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Paul J. Veres

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:50:55 +0000, Paul J. Veres wrote:

    > When I installed WinXP Pro to my system, it assigned my first hard drive the
    > letter "E" instead of "C" and my second hard drive the letter "C" instead of
    > "D". This can't be changed under Administrative Tools. Anybody have any
    > ideas how to reassign the correct letters without doing another clean
    > install?

    MS assigns drive letters in this order.
    1st active partition gets C. Next active partition gets D, etc, until all
    active partitions have leters. Then it assigns logical partitons. If you
    have 3 active partitions, then C would be assigned to the first active
    partition on the Mater HD on the first controller. D to second. If there
    are no more active partitions on the drive, it will then go to the slave
    drive on that controller and assign active parttions. Then it will
    continue on to the Master of the second controller, and then on to the
    slave of the second controller, assigning drive letters to all active
    partitions it finds. I haven't used windows since 98, so XP may let you
    install on logical partitions like other OS's, but I doubt it. If it
    skipped C & D active partitions, then maybe they didn't have enough room
    for the install. Autoimatic sucks. Tell it where to install if you can
    (assuming you know).

    Wes Newell, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Paul J. Veres

    Dave H. Guest

    > When I installed WinXP Pro to my system, it assigned my first hard drive

    the
    > letter "E" instead of "C" and my second hard drive the letter "C" instead

    of
    > "D". This can't be changed under Administrative Tools. Anybody have any
    > ideas how to reassign the correct letters without doing another clean
    > install?

    I've had success with this proceedure, renaming drives in the registry.
    HOW TO: Change the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q223188#2

    Some good information and links here too:
    http://perso.numericable.fr/~gjullien/copy_xp.htm
    "Each disk has a signature (written on the disk) and each volume has an
    identifier (written on the volume, specific to the disk and the volume). The
    registry assigns letters to identifiers (at install or when a new disk is
    added).
    Some consequences:
    When a new disk is added: the registry assigns or reassigns letters not in
    use at that time to the volumes of the new disk (even if the letters have
    been already assigned to a disk now absent). "
    Dave H., Jan 26, 2004
  6. Thanks for all the responses. I found what I needed in

    messagehttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q223188#2

    Paul J. Veres, Jan 26, 2004
  7. Paul J. Veres

    Jbob Guest

    > Thanks for all the responses. I found what I needed in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q223188#2

    This fix is fine however it still doesn't explain why only WinXP does this.
    This is the only M$ OS I have seen this occur. If I am not mistaken it has
    happened to me every time I reinstall onto a new hard drive where a second
    drive is already present.
    Jbob, Jan 27, 2004