Drive won't spin down, LOUD, frozen

Discussion in 'Apple' started by smk17, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. smk17

    smk17 Guest

    Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
    nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
    usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
    remember it doing it when I'm working on it.

    This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
    is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
    it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
    this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?

    The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
    button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.

    It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
    years with no problem like this.

    Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
    I can barely hear it.

    Thanks

    smk17, Oct 4, 2006

  2. smk17

    smk17 Guest

    smk17 wrote:
    > Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
    > nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
    > usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
    > remember it doing it when I'm working on it.
    >
    > This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
    > is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
    > it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
    > this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?
    >
    > The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
    > button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.
    >
    > It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
    > years with no problem like this.
    >
    > Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
    > I can barely hear it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Actually, it just happened again and it sounds like the fan running at
    full blast, not the hard drive. But it froze again and I had to hard
    restart.

    smk17, Oct 5, 2006

  3. smk17

    Alice Faber Guest

    In article <>,
    "smk17" <> wrote:

    > smk17 wrote:
    > > Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
    > > nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
    > > usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
    > > remember it doing it when I'm working on it.
    > >
    > > This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
    > > is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
    > > it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
    > > this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?
    > >
    > > The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
    > > button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.
    > >
    > > It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
    > > years with no problem like this.
    > >
    > > Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
    > > I can barely hear it.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > Actually, it just happened again and it sounds like the fan running at
    > full blast, not the hard drive. But it froze again and I had to hard
    > restart.

    Once you hear the fan running at full blast, the computer has already
    frozen. Fan speed is normally controlled by some aspect of the OS. When
    the system has crashed, it falls back to the default of full speed
    ahead. You'll hear the same thing if you start the computer in Firewire
    target mode.

    As to why, when you restart the computer, find the Console application
    (it might be in your Utilities folder). This should give you a list of
    log files you can inspect. Look for the most recent version of something
    with Crash in the name, and it might give you some clues (or someone
    here can interpret the clues for you!).

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

    Alice Faber, Oct 5, 2006
  4. smk17 wrote:
    > smk17 wrote:
    >> Recently my Powermac G5 dual 1.8 goes into this loud, spinning mode and
    >> nothing will stop it. It seems to happen after it's been asleep, it
    >> usually never happens when I'm working on it. Actually I don't ever
    >> remember it doing it when I'm working on it.
    >>
    >> This morning I walked into the computer room and the fan, or the drive
    >> is running very loud, it's asleep and hitting the space bar won't wake
    >> it up, it's frozen and screaming! I wonder how long it's been doing
    >> this? 10 minutes? 2 hours? 5 hours?
    >>
    >> The only way to stop it is to hard restart, pressing the towers on/off
    >> button (the one below the little light) in for a few seconds.
    >>
    >> It's done this about 8-10 times in the last 4 months. I've had it for 2
    >> years with no problem like this.
    >>
    >> Is there anything I should check? Right now it's purring like a kitten,
    >> I can barely hear it.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Actually, it just happened again and it sounds like the fan running at
    > full blast, not the hard drive. But it froze again and I had to hard
    > restart.

    Is it really hung? Can you ssh in from another box? I've had issues
    with crashy screen savers that would lock up most of the GUI, but
    services were still responding. I logged in and killed the process that
    was spinning so hard.

    Clever Monkey, Oct 5, 2006