Driver twilight zone: "color profile: not available"

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Arend van Beek, Mar 28, 2005.

  1. I may have entered Nvidia's twilight zone. Please help with my driver
    configuration. I am using ForceWare 71.84 on my 6800 LE graphics card.

    Since Half-Life 2 is running too dark (monitor brightness & the gamma
    setting in the game are maxed out), I wanted to create a profile in
    the driver with a higher gamma value.

    - Under "Color Correction" I created a color profile called BRIGHT
    with the gamma set to 1.94.

    - Under "Performance & Quality Settings" I have created a new
    application profile called HL2. I have linked hl2.exe to this profile.

    - In the advanced settings of HL2, I've selected BRIGHT as the color
    profile to use.

    So far so good...

    - Then, when I run Half-Life 2, the image is *not* bright. Quitting
    the game and opening the driver settings reveals the following
    twilight-zone related horror...

    Color profile: not available

    If I take the steps manually, e.g. I select the BRIGHT profile before
    starting up Half-Life 2, everything goes well. But I want to make use
    of Nvidia's automated feature.

    CAN ANYONE SHOW ME THE WAY OUT OF NVIDIA'S ZONE WHERE NORMAL THINGS
    DON'T HAPPEN VERY OFTEN???

    Thanks,
    Arend
    Arend van Beek, Mar 28, 2005

  2. Arend van Beek

    McGrandpa Guest

    "Arend van Beek" <> wrote in message
    > I may have entered Nvidia's twilight zone. Please help with my driver
    > configuration. I am using ForceWare 71.84 on my 6800 LE graphics card.
    >
    > Since Half-Life 2 is running too dark (monitor brightness & the gamma
    > setting in the game are maxed out), I wanted to create a profile in
    > the driver with a higher gamma value.
    >
    > - Under "Color Correction" I created a color profile called BRIGHT
    > with the gamma set to 1.94.
    >
    > - Under "Performance & Quality Settings" I have created a new
    > application profile called HL2. I have linked hl2.exe to this profile.
    >
    > - In the advanced settings of HL2, I've selected BRIGHT as the color
    > profile to use.
    >
    > So far so good...
    >
    > - Then, when I run Half-Life 2, the image is *not* bright. Quitting
    > the game and opening the driver settings reveals the following
    > twilight-zone related horror...
    >
    > Color profile: not available
    >
    > If I take the steps manually, e.g. I select the BRIGHT profile before
    > starting up Half-Life 2, everything goes well. But I want to make use
    > of Nvidia's automated feature.
    >
    > CAN ANYONE SHOW ME THE WAY OUT OF NVIDIA'S ZONE WHERE NORMAL THINGS
    > DON'T HAPPEN VERY OFTEN???
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arend

    Have you associated your monitor with a color profile yet? This page
    and tab don't seem available from the Nvidia control applet in this
    driver.
    Right click desktop, Settings,on Display Properties page-Advanced
    button, Color Management tab. If it's empty, then you need to add one.
    This might have something to do with your problem.
    McG.
    McGrandpa, Mar 28, 2005