    an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
    from Dell?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Aug 5, 2012

  2. Timothy Daniels

    Boris Guest

    "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
    > or BIOS should need updating?
    >
    > The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
    > of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
    > "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
    > the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
    > "Recommended".
    >
    > But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
    > to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
    > "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
    > an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
    > from Dell?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    If you expand the driver list (button with blue down arrow, and then
    "applies to", and then "fixes and enhancements", it'll tell you what you
    are looking for. It's worked everytime for me. But, I do notice on some
    of the T3500 drivers, you have to first click on the file link first,
    then fixes and enhancements. Here's what it shows for the T3500 A15
    version BIOS:

    "Add High IO performance option in Setup. 2.Disable QPI L1 when C-States
    have been disabled. 3.Add the changes that ties ASPM to the C-State
    switch. 4.Add TSEG protection feature ENABLE_TSEG_SECURITY."

    Whatever that means...

    Boris, Aug 6, 2012

  3. Timothy Daniels

    Boris Guest

    Boris <> wrote in

    > "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
    >> or BIOS should need updating?
    >>
    >> The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
    >> of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
    >> "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
    >> the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
    >> "Recommended".
    >>
    >> But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
    >> to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
    >> "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
    >> an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
    >> from Dell?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >>

    > If you expand the driver list (button with blue down arrow, and then
    > "applies to", and then "fixes and enhancements", it'll tell you what
    > you are looking for. It's worked everytime for me. But, I do notice
    > on some of the T3500 drivers, you have to first click on the file link
    > first, then fixes and enhancements. Here's what it shows for the
    > T3500 A15 version BIOS:
    >
    > "Add High IO performance option in Setup. 2.Disable QPI L1 when
    > C-States have been disabled. 3.Add the changes that ties ASPM to the
    > C-State switch. 4.Add TSEG protection feature ENABLE_TSEG_SECURITY."
    >
    > Whatever that means...

    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/preci
    sion-t3500?DriverId=P8NNR&FileId=2992848412&DriverName=DELL%2CDSK%20PROG%
    2CBIOS%2CPWS-T3500%2CA15%2CA15&urlProductCode=False

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/9sw372x

    Boris, Aug 6, 2012
  4. "Boris" wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
    >> or BIOS should need updating?
    >>
    >> The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
    >> of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
    >> "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
    >> the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
    >> "Recommended".
    >>
    >> But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
    >> to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
    >> "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
    >> an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
    >> from Dell?
    >>
    >> *TimDaniels*
    >>

    > If you expand the driver list (button with blue down arrow, and then
    > "applies to", and then "fixes and enhancements", it'll tell you what you
    > are looking for. It's worked everytime for me. But, I do notice on some
    > of the T3500 drivers, you have to first click on the file link first,
    > then fixes and enhancements.

    OK, that tells me a bit more. But somehow, I still don't feel compelled.
    :) especially about that "Urgent" rating on the Dell-Utility update which
    is described thusly:

    "DSS_UTIL_WIN_R260000.EXE

    "Update Packages for Windows can be used as a stand-alone application to apply
    an update and ensure that specific validation criteria are met before performing
    the update. See the Dell Update Package User's Guide for more information.
    Note: As of October 10th, 2005, Update Packages for Windows will be digitally
    signed. Customers using Dell OpenManageT IT Assistant to deploy updates must
    upgrade to version 7.1 or later. "

    > Here's what it shows for the T3500 A15 version BIOS:
    >
    > "Add High IO performance option in Setup. 2.Disable QPI L1 when C-States
    > have been disabled. 3.Add the changes that ties ASPM to the C-State
    > switch. 4.Add TSEG protection feature ENABLE_TSEG_SECURITY."
    >
    > Whatever that means...

    <chuckle> No wonder Dell doesn't tell its tech reps what the upgrade does -
    they'd have to spend too much time learning what it meant, and then too
    much time explaining it to the customers!

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Aug 6, 2012
  5. Following the links as Boris suggested, I see that the
    update to the Dell System Software is described as
    follows:

    "1) Add the following Microsoft hot fixes: 975755 976035 972903 975163
    2) remove support for Windows Vista RTM. Dell System Software now requires SP1 or higher."

    I wonder if the hot fixes were already covered by Windows Updates.
    Is it OK to apply them twice?

    *TimDaniels*

    Timothy Daniels, Aug 6, 2012
  6. Timothy Daniels

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Sunday, August 5, 2012 3:33:36 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > Does anyone know where to find info on why a driver
    >
    > or BIOS should need updating?
    >

    > The Support page for my Precision T3500 lists a whole bunch
    >
    > of drivers that are "Recommended" for updating. One, the
    >
    > "Dell-Utility" driver, is even rated "Urgent". My BIOS is one in
    >
    > the range of A07 to A09, and the latest BIOS is A15 and rated
    >
    > "Recommended".
    >

    > But the brain-dead rep at Dell couldn't fathom why I would
    >
    > to know what the improvements were or why one was rated
    >
    > "Urgent" or even what it did. Microsoft, at least, says *why*
    >
    > an update should be made. Is there a way to find that out
    >
    > from Dell?
    >

    > *TimDaniels*

    Unless there is an URGENT BIOS update due to some real functional screwup in the way the system operates, most of the RECOMMENDED BIOS updates typically handle more CPUs. To be more specific, they accept more CPUIDs than previously... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 1, 2012