Drivers needed for PCMCIA slot; IBM T20; WIn 2000

Discussion in 'IBM' started by L Mehl, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Hello --

    My PCMCIA slot died.

    IBM support site
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JSQHB
    says drivers for
    PC Card/PCMCIA T20
    Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP: Included with operating system

    Can anyone tell me the driver filenames for the PCMCIA slot so I can find
    them on the distribution CD?

    If anyone knows how to get a PCMCIA slot working again I would appreciate
    your sharing that information.

    Thanks for any help.

    Larry Mehl
    L Mehl, Nov 22, 2005

  2. L Mehl

    * * Chas Guest

    "L Mehl" <> wrote in message
    | Hello --
    |
    | My PCMCIA slot died.
    |
    | IBM support site

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JSQ
    HB
    | says drivers for
    | PC Card/PCMCIA T20
    | Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP: Included with operating system
    |
    | Can anyone tell me the driver filenames for the PCMCIA slot so I can
    find
    | them on the distribution CD?
    |
    | If anyone knows how to get a PCMCIA slot working again I would
    appreciate
    | your sharing that information.
    |
    | Thanks for any help.
    |
    | Larry Mehl

    Does PCMCIA Adapter show up in the Device Manager? If so, it should
    have 2 entries for Texas Instruments PCI-1540 CardBus Controller.

    If these appear, you can try deleting them and restarting your T20 and
    let the OS find them and reinstall the drivers that are part of the
    Win2K.

    Chas.
    * * Chas, Nov 22, 2005

  3. L Mehl

    GomJabbar Guest

    An experience of mine:
    On a 600E that I had, one of my PCMCIA slots died, while the other
    worked fine. Even a complete fresh install of the operating system did
    not fix it. Yet no errors showed up in Device Manager or System
    Diagnostics. It's just that one of the card slots would no longer work.
    GomJabbar, Nov 23, 2005
  4. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Thanks Gom.

    Larry

    L Mehl, Jan 16, 2006
  5. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Chas --

    Thanks for writing.

    The PCMCIA Adapter showed up in the Device Manager with 2 entries for Texas
    Instruments PCI-1540 CardBus Controller.
    Deleting and restarting seemed to go OK ... no errors were seen when Win2000
    found the device and said it was installing the drivers (automatically found
    on my hard drive).

    Problem:
    Exclamation points again show in yellow in Device Manager.

    Device Manager > Properties > General tab Device status is:
    "... not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required
    for this device (Code 31)."
    Clicking Troubleshooter tells me this about Code 31
    "This device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly."

    Is my next step to find out which device is the one that the PCMCIA slot
    depends on?

    If so, can you tell me how to do this?

    If not, is there a way to find out why Win2000 can't install the driver?

    Thanks for any further help.

    Larry

    L Mehl, Jan 16, 2006
  6. L Mehl

    Quaoar Guest

    L Mehl wrote:
    > Chas --
    >
    > Thanks for writing.
    >
    > The PCMCIA Adapter showed up in the Device Manager with 2 entries for Texas
    > Instruments PCI-1540 CardBus Controller.
    > Deleting and restarting seemed to go OK ... no errors were seen when Win2000
    > found the device and said it was installing the drivers (automatically found
    > on my hard drive).
    >
    > Problem:
    > Exclamation points again show in yellow in Device Manager.
    >
    > Device Manager > Properties > General tab Device status is:
    > "... not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required
    > for this device (Code 31)."
    > Clicking Troubleshooter tells me this about Code 31
    > "This device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly."
    >
    > Is my next step to find out which device is the one that the PCMCIA slot
    > depends on?
    >
    > If so, can you tell me how to do this?
    >
    > If not, is there a way to find out why Win2000 can't install the driver?
    >
    > Thanks for any further help.
    >
    > Larry
    >

    >> If these appear, you can try deleting them and restarting your T20 and
    >> let the OS find them and reinstall the drivers

    > "* * Chas" <> wrote in message
    >> "L Mehl" <> wrote in message
    >> | Hello --
    >> |
    >> | My PCMCIA slot died.
    >> |
    >> | IBM support site
    >> |
    >> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JSQ
    >> HB
    >> | says drivers for
    >> | PC Card/PCMCIA T20
    >> | Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP: Included with operating system
    >> |
    >> | Can anyone tell me the driver filenames for the PCMCIA slot so I can
    >> find
    >> | them on the distribution CD?
    >> |
    >> | If anyone knows how to get a PCMCIA slot working again I would
    >> appreciate
    >> | your sharing that information.
    >> |
    >> | Thanks for any help.
    >> |
    >> | Larry Mehl
    >> |

    >> Does PCMCIA Adapter show up in the Device Manager? If so, it should
    >> have 2 entries for Texas Instruments PCI-1540 CardBus Controller.
    >>
    >> If these appear, you can try deleting them and restarting your T20 and
    >> let the OS find them and reinstall the drivers that are part of the
    >> Win2K.
    >>
    >> Chas.

    will see that for Intel CPU the next higher device is the PCI Bridge.
    Perhaps you should reinstall the chipset drivers.

    Quaoar, Jan 16, 2006
  7. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Qu --

    Thanks for writing.

    The View Devices by Connection tree shows
    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    below that is Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    below that is PCI bus (not "Bridge")
    below that are the two TI PCI-1450 entries (along with other
    devices).

    Is it the chipset drivers for "PCI bus" that you suggest I reinstall? I
    want to understand more about this before I do a reinstall at this level.

    The other devices under PCI bus are working OK (sound, USB, AGP, and, I
    assume, the remaining ones). Is it possible for them to be working and the
    PCI-1450 not to be working, with all of them connecting to the same device
    (the PCI bus)?

    I will appreciate any more information to help me understand the
    relationships.

    Larry

    L Mehl, Jan 16, 2006
  8. L Mehl

    Quaoar Guest

    L Mehl wrote:
    > Qu --
    >
    > Thanks for writing.
    >
    > The View Devices by Connection tree shows
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    > below that is Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    > below that is PCI bus (not "Bridge")
    > below that are the two TI PCI-1450 entries (along with other
    > devices).
    >
    > Is it the chipset drivers for "PCI bus" that you suggest I reinstall? I
    > want to understand more about this before I do a reinstall at this level.
    >
    > The other devices under PCI bus are working OK (sound, USB, AGP, and, I
    > assume, the remaining ones). Is it possible for them to be working and the
    > PCI-1450 not to be working, with all of them connecting to the same device
    > (the PCI bus)?
    >
    > I will appreciate any more information to help me understand the
    > relationships.
    >
    > Larry
    >

    > "Quaoar" <> wrote in message
    >> L Mehl wrote:
    >>> Chas --
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for writing.
    >>>
    >>> The PCMCIA Adapter showed up in the Device Manager with 2 entries for

    > Texas
    >>> Instruments PCI-1540 CardBus Controller.
    >>> Deleting and restarting seemed to go OK ... no errors were seen when

    > Win2000
    >>> found the device and said it was installing the drivers (automatically

    > found
    >>> on my hard drive).
    >>>
    >>> Problem:
    >>> Exclamation points again show in yellow in Device Manager.
    >>>
    >>> Device Manager > Properties > General tab Device status is:
    >>> "... not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers

    > required
    >>> for this device (Code 31)."
    >>> Clicking Troubleshooter tells me this about Code 31
    >>> "This device depends on another device that is not functioning

    > correctly."
    >>> Is my next step to find out which device is the one that the PCMCIA slot
    >>> depends on?
    >>>
    >>> If so, can you tell me how to do this?
    >>>
    >>> If not, is there a way to find out why Win2000 can't install the driver?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any further help.
    >>>
    >>> Larry

    >>> "* * Chas" <> wrote in message

    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JSQ

    >> will see that for Intel CPU the next higher device is the PCI Bridge.
    >> Perhaps you should reinstall the chipset drivers.

    www.lenovo.com go to the support pages for the t20. There is a win2k
    supplemental driver update that applies to the TI pc-card slot. Perhaps
    that will help.

    Quaoar, Jan 17, 2006
  9. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Qu -

    Thanks. It served as a reminder. I used that feature under the IBM name a
    year ago. It found 10 updates. If that driver is not among them, I will
    look for the driver you mention.

    Larry

    "Quaoar" <> wrote in message
    > L Mehl wrote:
    > > Qu --
    > >
    > > Thanks for writing.
    > >
    > > The View Devices by Connection tree shows
    > > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    > > below that is Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    > > below that is PCI bus (not "Bridge")
    > > below that are the two TI PCI-1450 entries (along with other
    > > devices).
    > >
    > > Is it the chipset drivers for "PCI bus" that you suggest I reinstall? I
    > > want to understand more about this before I do a reinstall at this

    level.

    > > The other devices under PCI bus are working OK (sound, USB, AGP, and, I
    > > assume, the remaining ones). Is it possible for them to be working and

    the
    > > PCI-1450 not to be working, with all of them connecting to the same

    device
    > > (the PCI bus)?
    > >
    > > I will appreciate any more information to help me understand the
    > > relationships.
    > >
    > > Larry
    > >

    > > "Quaoar" <> wrote in message

    > > Texas

    > > Win2000

    > > found

    > > required

    > > correctly."

    slot

    driver?

    and

    > > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JSQ

    can

    and

    you

    L Mehl, Jan 17, 2006
  10. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Qu -

    Thanks. Is this the page you suggested?
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/multiplefiledownload.do?validate=
    true

    Searching for "tex", "TI", "PCMCIA" I could not find anything.

    Can you help me find the file you saw?

    Larry

    "Quaoar" <> wrote in message
    > L Mehl wrote:
    > > Qu --
    > >
    > > Thanks for writing.
    > >
    > > The View Devices by Connection tree shows
    > > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    > > below that is Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    > > below that is PCI bus (not "Bridge")
    > > below that are the two TI PCI-1450 entries (along with other
    > > devices).
    > >
    > > Is it the chipset drivers for "PCI bus" that you suggest I reinstall? I
    > > want to understand more about this before I do a reinstall at this

    level.

    > > The other devices under PCI bus are working OK (sound, USB, AGP, and, I
    > > assume, the remaining ones). Is it possible for them to be working and

    the
    > > PCI-1450 not to be working, with all of them connecting to the same

    device
    > > (the PCI bus)?
    > >
    > > I will appreciate any more information to help me understand the
    > > relationships.
    > >
    > > Larry
    > >

    > > "Quaoar" <> wrote in message

    > > Texas

    > > Win2000

    > > found

    > > required

    > > correctly."

    slot

    driver?

    and

    > > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JSQ

    can

    and

    you

    L Mehl, Jan 17, 2006
  11. L Mehl

    Quaoar Guest

    L Mehl wrote:
    > Qu -
    >
    > Thanks. Is this the page you suggested?
    > http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/multiplefiledownload.do?validate=
    > true
    >
    > Searching for "tex", "TI", "PCMCIA" I could not find anything.
    >
    > Can you help me find the file you saw?
    >
    > Larry
    >

    > "Quaoar" <> wrote in message
    >> L Mehl wrote:
    >>> Qu --
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for writing.
    >>>
    >>> The View Devices by Connection tree shows
    >>> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    >>> below that is Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    >>> below that is PCI bus (not "Bridge")
    >>> below that are the two TI PCI-1450 entries (along with other
    >>> devices).
    >>>
    >>> Is it the chipset drivers for "PCI bus" that you suggest I reinstall? I
    >>> want to understand more about this before I do a reinstall at this

    > level.
    >>> The other devices under PCI bus are working OK (sound, USB, AGP, and, I
    >>> assume, the remaining ones). Is it possible for them to be working and

    > the
    >>> PCI-1450 not to be working, with all of them connecting to the same

    > device
    >>> (the PCI bus)?
    >>>
    >>> I will appreciate any more information to help me understand the
    >>> relationships.
    >>>
    >>> Larry
    >>>

    >>> "Quaoar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Texas
    >>> Win2000
    >>> found

    >>> required
    >>> correctly."

    > slot

    > driver?

    > and

    >>> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4JSQ

    > can

    > and

    > you

    >> www.lenovo.com go to the support pages for the t20. There is a win2k
    >> supplemental driver update that applies to the TI pc-card slot. Perhaps
    >> that will help.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4PJN99

    My closer reading shows that the PC-Card part is for the T30

    Quaoar, Jan 17, 2006
  12. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Q -

    Thanks.

    Larry

    L Mehl, Jan 18, 2006
  13. L Mehl

    GomJabbar Guest

    GomJabbar, Jan 19, 2006
  14. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    GomJabbar --

    PC Doctor trashed the configurations for the PCI card.

    I had to remove the card, reset the BIOS to defaults, reboot, shutdown, and
    then reinstall the card.

    Larry

    "GomJabbar" <> wrote in message
    > Try running PC Doctor for DOS, to check out your system's hardware.

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid
    =MIGR-4YZM3F

    L Mehl, Jan 22, 2006
  15. On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:24:04 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,
    "L Mehl" <> wrote:

    >The PCMCIA Adapter showed up in the Device Manager with 2 entries for Texas
    >Instruments PCI-1540 CardBus Controller.
    >Deleting and restarting seemed to go OK ... no errors were seen when Win2000
    >found the device and said it was installing the drivers (automatically found
    >on my hard drive).

    There might be a problem with the drivers it _automatically found_ on
    your hard drive... after all, that's the same drivers you were using
    before you deleted the controller in the device manager.

    You should try to find a new set of the drivers (same version should
    be ok, since it has worked before) and then manually choose to update
    the drivers. That way you can force Windows to replace all the related
    files instead of just re-using the old ones.

    --
    May all spammers die in horrible pains!
    Wanna e-mail me? Well, peter_e is correct, but the rest is obviously bogus...
    Peter Emanuelsson, Jan 31, 2006
  16. L Mehl

    GomJabbar Guest

    Sorry to hear of your problem with PC Doctor. I have run it on my T42
    without any problems. I am surprised that it trashed your
    configurations.

    I am a little confused. You said your PCMCIA slot had died, so how do
    you know it trashed your configurations if it wasn't working anyway?
    Is it working now?
    GomJabbar, Jan 31, 2006