DRM-Free Music on the iTunes Store

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michelle Steiner, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. Step 1 in getting rid of protected media.

    <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html?sr=hotnews.rss>

    CUPERTINO, California‹April 2, 2007‹Apple® today announced that EMI
    Music¹s entire digital catalog of music will be available for purchase
    DRM-free (without digital rights management) from the iTunes® Store
    (www.itunes.com) worldwide in May. DRM-free tracks from EMI will be
    offered at higher quality 256 kbps AAC encoding, resulting in audio
    quality indistinguishable from the original recording, for just $1.29
    per song. In addition, iTunes customers will be able to easily upgrade
    their entire library of all previously purchased EMI content to the
    higher quality DRM-free versions for just 30 cents a song. iTunes will
    continue to offer its entire catalog, currently over five million songs,
    in the same versions as today‹128 kbps AAC encoding with DRM‹at the same
    price of 99 cents per song, alongside DRM-free higher quality versions
    when available.

    ³We are going to give iTunes customers a choice‹the current versions of
    our songs for the same 99 cent price, or new DRM-free versions of the
    same songs with even higher audio quality and the security of
    interoperability for just 30 cents more,² said Steve Jobs, Apple¹s CEO.
    ³We think our customers are going to love this, and we expect to offer
    more than half of the songs on iTunes in DRM-free versions by the end of
    this year.²

    ³EMI and iTunes are once again teaming up to move the digital music
    industry forward by giving music fans higher quality audio that is
    virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings, with no usage
    restrictions on the music they love from their favorite artists,² said
    Eric Nicoli, CEO of EMI Group.

    With DRM-free music from the EMI catalog, iTunes customers will have the
    ability to download tracks from their favorite EMI artists without any
    usage restrictions that limit the types of devices or number of
    computers that purchased songs can be played on. DRM-free songs
    purchased from the iTunes Store will be encoded in AAC at 256 kbps,
    twice the current bit rate of 128 kbps, and will play on all iPods, Mac®
    or Windows computers, Apple TVs and soon iPhones, as well as many other
    digital music players.

    iTunes will also offer customers a simple, one-click option to easily
    upgrade their entire library of all previously purchased EMI content to
    the higher quality DRM-free format for 30 cents a song. All EMI music
    videos will also be available in DRM-free format with no change in
    price.CUPERTINO, California‹April 2, 2007‹Apple® today announced that

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 2, 2007

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <>, Michelle
    Steiner <> wrote:

    > Step 1 in getting rid of protected media.
    >
    > <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html?sr=hotnews.rss>

    When this other discussion came up, I sent in a suggestion to let the
    market decide (i.e., letting producers and consumers choose per item). :)

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <>, "G.T."
    <> wrote:

    > > Step 1 in getting rid of protected media.

    > ...It's definitely the
    > beginning of the end for DRMed music, and we can only hope the end of
    > the RIAA.

    It is a big hurdle, not only for end users, but also for implementors of
    software. I have just discovered (and reported) a bug whereby the OS,
    under certain circumstances, does not recognize the correct region of the
    DVD drive, and asks to reset it. Suppose one would follow that advice: it
    would quickly render your DVD-drive useless in view of that one is only
    allowed a total of four resettings.

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Jon Guest

    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > On 2007-04-02 12:14:55 -0500, Michelle Steiner <> said:
    >
    > > Step 1 in getting rid of protected media.
    > >
    > > <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html?sr=hotnews.rss>

    > This is terrific news! And long overdue!

    As a Norwegian, I can only surmise that the pressure initiated by the
    Norwegian and other European consumer ombudsmen helped achieve this now.
    I feel certain it wouldd have happened sooner or later anyway, though.
    --
    /Jon
    For contact info, run the following in Terminal:

    Jon, Apr 2, 2007
  5. In article <1hvyp27.q75xaf2u252dN%>,
    d (Jon) wrote:

    > > > <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html?sr=hotnews.
    > > > rss>

    > > This is terrific news! And long overdue!

    > As a Norwegian, I can only surmise that the pressure initiated by the
    > Norwegian and other European consumer ombudsmen helped achieve this
    > now.

    I don't know about that. Apple never wanted DRM in iTunes, but the
    recording labels required it as a condition of having their stuff there.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 2, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    "G.T." <> wrote:

    > That's awesome news except for the price. For those few EMI tracks I
    > can't get on eMusic for 23 cents a track I'll fill in at iTMS.

    What is the quality of the eMusic stuff?

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 2, 2007
  7. In article <020420071120164300%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
    Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

    > > CUPERTINO, California—April 2, 2007—Apple® today announced that EMI
    > > Music’s entire digital catalog of music will be available for
    > > purchase DRM-free (without digital rights management) from the
    > > iTunes® Store (www.itunes.com) worldwide in May.

    > Except, apparently, for the Beatles' material.

    Is the Beatles' material available through EMI? If it is, how do you
    know that it won't be available on iTunes in May?

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 2, 2007
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    d (Jon) wrote:

    > > > <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html?sr=hotnews.
    > > > rss>

    > > This is terrific news! And long overdue!

    > As a Norwegian, I can only surmise that the pressure initiated by the
    > Norwegian and other European consumer ombudsmen helped achieve this
    > now.

    I doubt it. I think it was said somewhere the electronic music sales
    weren't as good as hoped. In addition, even if folks have an iPod, that
    may not be the only one, and then the protected stuff cannot be used. So
    it is not a benefit to Apple either - just giving their programmers extra
    work, in a world when software is becoming really complicated. So it is
    forced by a changing market. Those that move with it, will make money.

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 2, 2007
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <020420071428200585%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
    dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:

    > > Is the Beatles' material available through EMI? If it is, how do you
    > > know that it won't be available on iTunes in May?

    > Because EMI said so.
    >
    > <http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070402/D8O8H0EG0.html>

    This is not too surprising. The use of DRM builds on the unsupported
    belief that without it, everyone will just copy instead of buying (even
    though it is easy to remove by those that want to do just that). So when
    moving away from DRM, one will first try things that are not so sensitive
    if something might go wrong. For example, some artists can make a lot of
    money on performances or playing in payed media, so for those, it may not
    be a catastrophe if music track sales drop. Beatles is not in that
    category.

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 2, 2007
  10. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <020420071458530567%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
    dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Hans Aberg <> wrote:

    > > > Because EMI said so.
    > > >
    > > > <http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070402/D8O8H0EG0.html>

    > > This is not too surprising. The use of DRM builds on the unsupported
    > > belief that without it, everyone will just copy instead of buying (even
    > > though it is easy to remove by those that want to do just that). So when
    > > moving away from DRM, one will first try things that are not so sensitive
    > > if something might go wrong. For example, some artists can make a lot of
    > > money on performances or playing in payed media, so for those, it may not
    > > be a catastrophe if music track sales drop. Beatles is not in that
    > > category.

    > You didn't read the article. Much easier to make stuff up, right?
    >
    > EMI is only the distributor for The Beatles. Apple Corp has to agree to
    > put them on iTunes.

    So you didn't read or understand what I wrote then?

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 2, 2007
  11. In article <>,
    Jef Tenner <> wrote:

    > >> Step 1 in getting rid of protected media.
    > >>
    > >> <http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/04/02itunes.html?sr=hotnews.rss>

    > > This is terrific news! And long overdue!
    > >

    > and too good to be true
    >
    > http://www.danaquarium.com/article.php?story=20070403042559247

    Apple said in the announcement that there would be a 30-cent price
    increase.

    And since it's sampled at 256kbps, of course the file is larger and will
    take longer to download. Yeah, you could call it "less efficient" if
    you don't know what you're talking about or deliberately trying to be
    negative, but the fact is that it results in higher-quality music.

    So it is true, and it's not "too good to be true".

    Keppelmeyer's attempt at a hatchet job is absolutely moronic.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 3, 2007
  12. In article <020420071428200585%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
    Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

    > > Is the Beatles' material available through EMI? If it is, how do
    > > you know that it won't be available on iTunes in May?

    > Because EMI said so.
    >
    > <http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070402/D8O8H0EG0.html>

    Thanks. So it's neither Apple's decision nor EMI's, but rather, Apple
    Corps'.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Apr 3, 2007
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Ian Gregory Guest

    On 2007-04-03, Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    >> > This is terrific news! And long overdue!
    >> >

    >> and too good to be true
    >>
    >> http://www.danaquarium.com/article.php?story=20070403042559247

    > Apple said in the announcement that there would be a 30-cent price
    > increase.
    >
    > And since it's sampled at 256kbps, of course the file is larger and will
    > take longer to download. Yeah, you could call it "less efficient" if
    > you don't know what you're talking about or deliberately trying to be
    > negative, but the fact is that it results in higher-quality music.
    >
    > So it is true, and it's not "too good to be true".
    >
    > Keppelmeyer's attempt at a hatchet job is absolutely moronic.

    Indeed! Why would anyone even post the above URL without
    mentioning that it is a load of bollox?

    Here is John Gruber's take on the announcement:

    http://daringfireball.net/2007/04/emi_drm_free_music

    Ian

    --
    Ian Gregory
    http://www.zenatode.org.uk/ian/

    Ian Gregory, Apr 3, 2007
  14. Michelle Steiner

    nospam Guest

    In article <020420071428200585%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
    Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

    > > Is the Beatles' material available through EMI? If it is, how do you
    > > know that it won't be available on iTunes in May?

    > Because EMI said so.
    >
    > <http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070402/D8O8H0EG0.html>

    the beatles music is not available *at all*, drm or no drm.

    when it does become available (no date given), it will no doubt be
    drm-free, just like everything else emi offers.

    nospam, Apr 3, 2007
  15. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <>, Michelle
    Steiner <> wrote:

    > > http://www.danaquarium.com/article.php?story=20070403042559247

    > Apple said in the announcement that there would be a 30-cent price
    > increase.
    >
    > And since it's sampled at 256kbps, of course the file is larger and will
    > take longer to download.

    Since 1984, based on some facts in the Apple Developer "State of the
    Union" video, hard disk space has doubled every year. Another source said
    that an iPod will in five years be able to hold the entire years
    production of music, and i another five years, the entire production of
    all times, that is, in compressed format. For uncompressed music, if the
    hard disk development holds up, add perhaps another three years.

    So this gives the prediction that in less than twenty years, and iPod will
    be able to hold all music produced in all of times in uncompressed format.

    The doubled size is about one year of hardware development. And it is
    probably time soon to sell uncompressed files online.

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 3, 2007
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <>,
    (Hans Aberg) wrote:

    > So this gives the prediction that in less than twenty years, and iPod will
    > be able to hold all music produced in all of times in uncompressed format.

    Sounds like something out of Stargate, they find a Mac Pro at the end of
    time that holds all the knowledge of the universe, but they've lost the
    master password and Teal'c won't let them use the pirated install disks
    they got found in the Ancient's temple so everyone is still shit out of
    luck.
    --
    W. Oates

    Warren Oates, Apr 3, 2007
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <461219df$0$25946$>, Warren Oates
    <> wrote:

    > > So this gives the prediction that in less than twenty years, and iPod will
    > > be able to hold all music produced in all of times in uncompressed format.

    > Sounds like something out of Stargate, they find a Mac Pro at the end of
    > time that holds all the knowledge of the universe, but they've lost the
    > master password and Teal'c won't let them use the pirated install disks
    > they got found in the Ancient's temple so everyone is still shit out of
    > luck.

    It will only hold up if one is able to double the hard disk space every
    year. In the case of RAM, which (based on track record) doubles every
    second year (for CPU speed it is every third year), one has the science to
    keep it up for at least of couple of decades. So it does not seem wholly
    unreasonable.

    Interestingly, SF movies seem to have stuff like (human) teleportation and
    faster than light travel, not within the realm or even contradicted by
    modern science, but cannot predict things like spaceship computer
    controlled autopilot ("Forbidden planet") and flat screen monitors ("Total
    recall").

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 3, 2007
  18. Michelle Steiner

    M. Guest

    Hans Aberg wrote:

    > Interestingly, SF movies seem to have stuff like (human) teleportation and
    > faster than light travel, not within the realm or even contradicted by
    > modern science, but cannot predict things like spaceship computer
    > controlled autopilot ("Forbidden planet") and flat screen monitors ("Total
    > recall").

    English singer/songwriter Billy Bragg recently spoke (during one of his
    legendary extended rants) about the film version of "Fahrenheit 451" which
    just got another re-run on TV at that time.

    The funny thing is that the film makers were visionary enough to predict the
    way how modern TV works - there are flat screen TV monitors on the wall and
    they constantly show a kind of "real world" soap where the audience at home
    *interacts* with the show.

    However, when the phone rings, the actor crosses the room to the TV just to
    turn down the *volume*...

    So they predicted the way how TV shows work today, they predicted they way
    how TV devices look like today, but they couldn't think about something as
    obvious as wireless remote controls... ;-)

    M., Apr 3, 2007
  19. Michelle Steiner

    Hans Aberg Guest

    In article <C237F6AC.4C292%>, "M."
    <> wrote:

    > English singer/songwriter Billy Bragg recently spoke (during one of his
    > legendary extended rants) about the film version of "Fahrenheit 451" which
    > just got another re-run on TV at that time.
    >
    > The funny thing is that the film makers were visionary enough to predict the
    > way how modern TV works - there are flat screen TV monitors on the wall and
    > they constantly show a kind of "real world" soap where the audience at home
    > *interacts* with the show.
    >
    > However, when the phone rings, the actor crosses the room to the TV just to
    > turn down the *volume*...
    >
    > So they predicted the way how TV shows work today, they predicted they way
    > how TV devices look like today, but they couldn't think about something as
    > obvious as wireless remote controls... ;-)

    Or mobile telephones. When the telephone was new, somebody realizing its

    Hans Aberg

    Hans Aberg, Apr 3, 2007
  20. Michelle Steiner

    Dave Allen Guest

    In article <C237F6AC.4C292%>,
    "M." <> wrote:

    > The funny thing is that the film makers were visionary enough to predict the
    > way how modern TV works - there are flat screen TV monitors on the wall and
    > they constantly show a kind of "real world" soap where the audience at home
    > *interacts* with the show.
    >
    > However, when the phone rings, the actor crosses the room to the TV just to
    > turn down the *volume*...

    The remote had obviously slipped down the crack between the couch
    cushions.

    --
    Dave

    Dave Allen, Apr 3, 2007