Dual Channel Memory support

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bobby, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Bobby

    Bobby Guest

    I've got new Intel Motherboard 865 GLC which
    has Dual Channel Memory support. The motherboard
    has 4 RAM slots. Intel suggest in manual to instal,
    for example, two similar 256 MB RAM memory sticks
    (one in each channel slot) in order benefit from
    Dual channel support. I however was planning to install
    one 512 MB Ran memory stick. In this case I obviously
    won't be able "to benefit" from Dual Channel Memory
    feature.

    Can anyone clearly explain what is "Dual Channel"
    feature and what is its usefullness?

    From the performance point of view what memory configuration
    is preferable:

    a) Two 256 MB RAM memory sticks with Dual Channel Memory support

    or

    b) One 512 MB RAM memory stick without Dual Channel Memory support

    Thanks in advance

    Bobby, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Bobby

    DaveW Guest

    The two 256 MB dual channel memory sticks will have TWICE the memory data
    bbandwidth of the single 512 MB stick. In other words, dual channel memory
    is noticeably faster to use.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Apr 29, 2004