Dualview vs Horizontal Span (repost)

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Jeffrey Kaplan, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. It's been four days with no response, so I'm trying again:

    I've got a GeForce 7300 GS running two monitors. Info from the GeForce
    properties sheet:

    Video BIOS version 5.72.22.34, ForceWare version 82.65. DirectX
    "DirectX 9.0 or better". Driver version 8.2.6.5

    WinXP Pro SP2.

    This is a new computer built to custom specs, not a National Brand
    system, and not home-built.

    On my old system, which has a GeForce 4800 Ti, I simply had it set to
    "Dualview" mode. Now, I decided to try Horizontal Span mode. In
    general, I think I prefer the spanning, now that the new card's drivers
    can constrain most apps to a single monitor when told to maximize.
    However, note that it is "most", not "all".

    In particular, there are four programs I've found (so far, anyway) that
    ignore this with no controls to manually fix it. All four have a
    full-screen mode that is without a title bar. They are the full-screen
    viewers in ACDSee 8, Nero Showtime (NERO suite v6), WinDVD5 and Firefox
    1.5x. Firefox has both a maximize and a full-screen command. Maximize
    is constrained, full-screen will span. The other three do not.

    I've tried setting individual application controls for these programs
    in the nVidia settings, but they, too, are being ignored.

    One other thing: When set to horizontal span, if I tell it to
    constrain the taskbar to a single monitor, the space the taskbar +would
    have+ taken on the second monitor is "dead" - nothing can be resized
    into that space, including maximizing.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #41. If my True Love is captured
    and forced into marriage with the Evil Overlord, I will not attempt to
    rescue her until after the ceremony, unless said ceremony will
    irrevocably harm or alter her in some way.
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Jeffrey Kaplan

    KenP Guest

    I have span set on and Firefox works normally and I don't get a blank
    extension of the task bar either. You might want to go into safe mode
    and run CCleaner and then reinstall your video driver.
    KenP, Aug 9, 2006

  3. It is alleged that KenP claimed:

    > I have span set on and Firefox works normally and I don't get a blank
    > extension of the task bar either. You might want to go into safe mode
    > and run CCleaner and then reinstall your video driver.

    The one thing all four of those apps have in common that everything
    else doesn't have is the lack of a title bar when told to go
    full-screen. This does not appear to be a "reinstall to fix" problem,
    this appears to be an issue with the driver and/or individual
    applications themselves.

    It appears that the nVidia tools need a title bar on the applications
    in order to control them.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I warn you Mariel, do not be overconfident. If I were married to
    Londo Mollari I'd be concerned." "G'Kar, if you were married to Londo
    Mollari, we'd all be concerned." (Amb. G'Kar and Mariel, B5 "Soul
    Mates")
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Jeffrey Kaplan

    KenP Guest

    I have no programs--including Firefox--that don't have title bars when
    in full screen mode. Is it possible you monitor is adjusted to have
    supposedly viewable area above the actual viewable area?
    KenP, Aug 10, 2006
  5. It is alleged that KenP claimed:

    > I have no programs--including Firefox--that don't have title bars when

    Start Firefox. Then, assuming a Windows system, hit <F11>. Download
    and install ACDSee 8, if you're not already using it, and view an image
    in the image viewer window, and press <F>. Note that in both cases,
    there is no title bar. If you're using two monitors in span mode AND
    your settings are to not allow application spanning, what happens?

    > in full screen mode. Is it possible you monitor is adjusted to have
    > supposedly viewable area above the actual viewable area?

    Nope. Dual LCDs. The viewing area is the viewing area. The video
    settings are also set to not allow stuff to open off-screen. Doesn't
    prevent me from moving something off the edge, but when restarting the
    app, it will be completely within the display area.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Laugh-a while you can, monkey boy!" (Lord John Whorfin, "Buckaroo
    Banzai")
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Aug 10, 2006
  6. It is alleged that KenP claimed:

    > I have no programs--including Firefox--that don't have title bars when
    > in full screen mode. Is it possible you monitor is adjusted to have
    > supposedly viewable area above the actual viewable area?

    Oh, and in case it sounds otherwise, I do thank you for the help
    attempts.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #55.
    The deformed mutants and odd-ball psychotics will have their place in
    my Legions of Terror. However before I send them out on important
    covert missions that require tact and subtlety, I will first see if
    there is anyone else equally qualified who would attract less
    attention.
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Aug 10, 2006
  7. Jeffrey Kaplan

    KenP Guest

    Well, I loaded Firefox and hit F11. Gave me a Save As screen when focus
    is in FF and nothing if the focus is on the desktop. Not going to
    install a program I don't want for the other part.

    All I can tell you is that the situation is unique to your system. It
    is either a driver artifact or some tweak program letting you or it
    change something.

    I am afraid you're on your own from this point.
    KenP, Aug 10, 2006
  8. Jeffrey Kaplan

    Guest

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > On my old system, which has a GeForce 4800 Ti, I simply had it set to
    > "Dualview" mode. Now, I decided to try Horizontal Span mode. In
    > general, I think I prefer the spanning, now that the new card's drivers
    > can constrain most apps to a single monitor when told to maximize.
    > However, note that it is "most", not "all".

    Couple thoughts:

    1. Yes, firefox title bar gets hidden when you hit F11. That is
    normal. I don't know why KenP got a "Save As" screen. That's kind of
    weird.

    2. Why not just use DualView? It seems like it does everything you are
    trying to get Horizontal Span to do for you. What's the advantage of
    switching to Horizontal Span if you want to change it to work like
    DualView everywhere?

    Phillip
    , Aug 17, 2006
  9. It is alleged that claimed:

    > Couple thoughts:
    >
    > 1. Yes, firefox title bar gets hidden when you hit F11. That is

    And that's where the span problem occurs.

    > 2. Why not just use DualView? It seems like it does everything you are
    > trying to get Horizontal Span to do for you. What's the advantage of
    > switching to Horizontal Span if you want to change it to work like
    > DualView everywhere?

    The only thing I don't like about horizontal span is the applications
    spanning the gap between the monitors. With horizontal spanning, I can
    reduce the height of the taskbar back to single-height and have it span
    both monitors, and still have room for my taskbar toolbars and running
    apps buttons. And there are other programs I use that behave better
    with horizontal span than dual view, programs that open secondary
    windows where I want the secondary window on the +other+ monitor than
    the main window.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Our thoughts form the Universe. They always matter." (G'Kar, B5
    "Hour of the Wolf")
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Aug 17, 2006