    could get a screw remover for that particular screw (and what would be
    the correct replacement for it)

    Thanks
    John LaBella, Aug 7, 2008

  2. Duct tape

    BarneyTrouble, Aug 7, 2008

  3. John LaBella

    Steve H Guest

    --
    Steve ( out in the sticks )
    Email: anyoldname(*AT*)gmx(*dot*)co(*dot*)uk
    Steve H, Aug 7, 2008
  4. John LaBella

    Steve H Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:33:36 -0500, BarneyTrouble <> wrote:

    >Duct tape

    Laptop gets hot, glue on tape softens, gets all over keks.

    Regards,

    Steve H, Aug 8, 2008
  5. John LaBella wrote:
    > I came across some newer memory chips for my 600E (now more or less
    > relagated to my "travel" laptop). Somehow the screw fastening the memory
    > cover had been cross threaded and me trying more strength that
    > intelligence buggered up the head. Any recomendations as to where I
    > could get a screw remover for that particular screw (and what would be
    > the correct replacement for it)

    That's a conventional allen head screw. I've has trouble with many on
    aircraft cover plates, etc. The last dich effort is th find an allen
    head screwdriver that fits, usually one that is a little bit bigger that
    you think is necessary. A brand new screwdriver is best since the teeth
    adges are sharp (and not worn round in use or dis-use).

    When you set it in the hole, press lightly into the screw head and find
    a rotation angle that feels like it has dropped into place. It may be
    faint, but some may still be there. Then at that position press firmy
    into the head, with about as much pressure as the labtop structure might
    allow, and s-l-o-w-l-y turn the screw out.

    If that fails then find a Dremel tool that has a very thin cutting
    disc, about 1mm thick. Use that to grind a fresh conventional
    screwdriver sloy into the head, being careful to not send crumbs or
    metal shavings into the laptop. When this slot is about 1mm deep, quit
    grinding and try a conntional flat-blade screwdriver on it.

    Angelo Campanella.
    Angelo Campanella, Aug 28, 2008
  6. Lord Kalvan wrote:

    > I agree Angelo, but if you have cut the slot and then can still not get
    > it to come out you will need to carefully drill out the screw / insert

    etc.

    First, I have to aplogize that I shaould have named the screw type as a
    Phillips Head Screw ((X-shaped head slot). All else sttands.

    Angelo Campanella
    Angelo Campanella, Nov 3, 2008