    doing this?
    Thank you much for your time

    Galina
    Superunknown, Jan 23, 2008

  2. Superunknown

    HH Guest

    BEFORE downgrading your OS, check the Acer website and be sure they have XP
    drivers for all of the hardware on the notebook.
    Do not assume the Vista drivers will work under XP. Many will not.

    HH

    HH, Jan 23, 2008

  3. Superunknown

    Guest

    On Jan 23, 1:05 pm, Superunknown <?@?> wrote:
    > I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
    > the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
    > anymore. It sends you tohttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607that
    > explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
    > softwares don't work either.
    > I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
    > buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
    > doing this?
    > Thank you much for your time
    >
    > Galina

    You might want to read this before doing anything.. yes, it is long
    but deals specifically with the 5315.

    http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?p=8485508#post8485508
    , Jan 24, 2008
  4. Superunknown

    Ralph2 Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:05:21 -0500, Superunknown <?@?> wrote:

    >I have Aspire 5315 and I really happy with. But Vista has to go. Among
    >the too many annoyances to list, they don't even support help files
    >anymore. It sends you to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 that
    >explains you how to install but it still doesn`t work. My best
    >softwares don't work either.
    >I just want to go to XP. Would Acer have disc for this? Or can I just
    >buy from store a copy and what are the issues I need be aware of when
    >doing this?
    >Thank you much for your time
    >
    >Galina

    I have an Aspire 5630 and was similarly impressed with Vista. My
    solution... go dual boot.
    I did a restore of the operating system as it was supplied from the
    factory.. Then installed XP on a second partition,,, but not without
    help from http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp With Vista
    installed first you must jump through a lot of hoops but it is
    possible and works really well
    Do not expect any help from Acer. They do have a lot of drivers etc
    available for download... The "only" driver issue that I have not been
    able to resolve is my camera. When I try to use it I get an error
    message to the effect that it needs to be plugged in. but I can make
    it work from selecting it in an Explorer folder tree.. Again I got NO
    support from Acer on this. Their stock answer is we will support the
    configuration that we sold.. period!
    Good luck
    Ralph
    Ralph2, Jan 24, 2008
  5. Superunknown

    occam Guest

    Good advice, except the first sentence should read "BEFORE /upgrading/
    your OS....". XP SP2 (and the fortcoming SP3) are definite UPGRADES to
    Vista.

    --Never Acer Again --

    occam, Jan 24, 2008
  6. Superunknown

    HH Guest

    Manufacturers consider it "downgrading," thus do not support it. If you dump
    Vista for XP, you lose Acer software support completely. Don't call them
    with XP issues on a unit that shipped with Vista.

    HH

    HH, Jan 24, 2008
  7. Superunknown

    Superunknown Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 16:20:08 -0500, "HH" <>
    wrote:

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:59:27 -0800 (PST), ""
    <> wrote:

    On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 03:55:18 GMT, Ralph2 <>
    wrote:

    Thank you thank you thank you! :)
    Good-by to Vista crap.

    Galina
    Superunknown, Jan 24, 2008
  8. Superunknown

    doS Guest

    there are several diff camera drivers...download the zip and extract to
    desktop, uninstall camera in device manager and reboot.then broswe to folder
    to install the drivers...

    doS, Jan 25, 2008