Early i7 OC news..

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-core-i7,2063.html

    "Our Core i7 920 sample is stable at 3.8 GHz and with a bit more tweaking
    would likely stabilize at 4 GHz as well. We didn't really have any better
    luck with the 965 Extreme, which could be tweaked through its multiplier
    settings versus the Bclk-only, like the 920."

    Oh to have money! I'd be awaiting these with every intent of being a
    pioneer. <g>

    As it is I'll (hopefully) be watching folks here reporting their results.

    Regards,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Nov 5, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    Fishface Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-core-i7,2063.html
    >
    > "Our Core i7 920 sample is stable at 3.8 GHz and with a bit more
    > tweaking would likely stabilize at 4 GHz as well. We didn't really have
    > any better luck with the 965 Extreme, which could be tweaked through
    > its multiplier settings versus the Bclk-only, like the 920."

    ....with perhaps too much voltage? They crank it to 1.5v.

    > Oh to have money! I'd be awaiting these with every intent of being a pioneer. <g>
    >
    > As it is I'll (hopefully) be watching folks here reporting their results.

    I was just about to order a Q9550 since my wife confiscated my
    Q6600 because "Webkinz world is so much faster" (than on her E2200).
    The dual core @ 3 GHz was subjectively "faster, but not as fast."
    Maybe I'll wait for the I7 overclocked benchies...

    Fishface, Nov 6, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Fishface Guest

    > Maybe I'll wait for the I7 overclocked benchies...

    Saw the benchmarks. Decided not to go for I7 at this time.
    The motherboards are very expensive and I'd have to get
    DDR3 and of course I'd want a bunch and need Vista 64.

    So I spent just $230 and got an essentially free motherboard
    in a combo deal:
    www.frys-electronics-ads.com/ads/2008/11/19/38066/
    The Q9550 goes into my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L.

    My wife gets the Q6600 in a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.
    www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357
    At Fry's, I also picked-up her up a mini P180 case for $69,
    which was an amazing deal.
    www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129041

    Fishface, Nov 22, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    Fishface Guest

    Fishface wrote:

    > My wife gets the Q6600 in a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L.
    > www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357
    > At Fry's, I also picked-up her up a mini P180 case for $69,
    > which was an amazing deal.
    > www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129041

    Imagine my surprise when I open the box and the case has a 200mm
    fan on top! But it is amazingly quiet with my old Antec NeoHE 500.
    3GHz, no sweat. Of course, the Gigabyte doesn't wake from standby
    with the keyboard or mouse, and not as quickly as the old ECS, it seems,
    so she is still bitching...

    Fishface, Nov 28, 2008