eee901 Plus New gForce Graphics?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by (PeteCresswell), Apr 24, 2010.

  1. .... Or whatever it takes to render 1080 without overloading the
    CPU.

    Are we there yet?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    1. Advertising

  2. Per (PeteCresswell):
    >Are we there yet?

    FWIW, I tried to answer my own question by going to
    http://usa.asus.com/

    Had forgotten how bad Asus's web site was the last time I visited
    it and this time it seems to have gotten even worse.

    I write computer applications for a living and make the majority
    of my purchases from web sites - so I'm not exactly a virgin.

    Without ranting on and on... I just can't find out what I want to
    know from their site.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    1. Advertising

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per (PeteCresswell):
    >> Are we there yet?

    > FWIW, I tried to answer my own question by going to
    > http://usa.asus.com/
    >
    > Had forgotten how bad Asus's web site was the last time I visited
    > it and this time it seems to have gotten even worse.
    >
    > I write computer applications for a living and make the majority
    > of my purchases from web sites - so I'm not exactly a virgin.
    >
    > Without ranting on and on... I just can't find out what I want to
    > know from their site.

    The problem I have, with your whole concept, is how do you
    know that a manufacturer's claim is real ? Say I were to point
    you to an Asus web page that says "plays 1080p while being
    easy on batteries". What are the odds that the claim is
    truthful ? An acid test, for example, is to do PIP on 1080p,
    and perhaps that is what you as a consumer have in mind,
    while the manufacturer knows the hardware barely does 1080p
    for a single stream. Or perhaps the manufacturer tested with
    some variant that is "easy" to do, while your content has a
    higher bitrate or whatever. Even if we find such a claim,
    it could be bogus.

    VIA recently introduced a new chipset, with the ability to
    accelerate video, but they're VIA after all. There is no way
    to know, based on their fluff claims, whether it works or not.

    I concur on your opinion of the Asus site. Asus, are you listening ?

    "Asus, your site is simply dreadful!

    There, that's two votes.

    *******

    1201N Atom 330 Dual Core (1.6GHz?), Nvidia ION (first generation)

    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=sZ0sI6WqjnCHGFta

    1201PN Atom N450 Nvidia ION (second generation) ???

    (I think that is a single core 1.66GHz processor, so maybe not the best choice.)

    http://www.slashgear.com/asus-eee-pc-1201pn-ion-2-pine-view-netbook-official-0276292/

    http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...or-und-ion-2-grafik/&sl=de&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

    1201T AMD MV-40 CPU (dual core 1.6GHz) , ATI RS780MN

    (I cannot get the product page to appear! I can't verify this is the link.
    I was able to see a page for this yesterday, but not today.)

    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ls15lhnDPup9y6Uh

    Another article - apparently they've reviewed a few different models, so
    you could use the links on this page, to compare them.

    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-Next-Generation-ION-ION2-in-review.29021.0.html

    Paul

  4. Per Paul:
    >The problem I have, with your whole concept, is how do you
    >know that a manufacturer's claim is real ?

    That is part of the reason I am asking the question here.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. Per Paul:
    >An acid test, for example, is to do PIP on 1080p,
    >and perhaps that is what you as a consumer have in mind,

    It's not what I had in mind - being sufficiently clueless to not
    have much of *anything* in mind... but it sounds like a good idea
    for an acid test.

    I copied a segment of an HD broadcast to my key fob/thumb drive
    and next time I get to the local Micro Center, I'll try doing the
    PIP thing and see how it renders.

    Notably absent from Asus' attempt at specs is any mention of
    "nVidia" or "GeForce"....
    --
    PeteCresswell

  6. Foke

    Foke Guest

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:21:29 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    >... Or whatever it takes to render 1080 without overloading the
    >CPU.
    >
    >Are we there yet?

    Nope. To the best of my knowledge, no Eee PC has the screen real estate
    to do 1080, much less the horsepower.

    TBH, your query sounds a bit odd anyway. It's like asking if the smart
    car ( http://www.smartusa.com/ ) can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It
    wasn't a design principle for the car and 1080 wasn't a design principle
    for the Eee PC. It may well do 1080 some day, but by then it will just be
    another down-sized laptop.

  7. Per Foke:
    >TBH, your query sounds a bit odd anyway. It's like asking if the smart
    >car ( http://www.smartusa.com/ ) can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It
    >wasn't a design principle for the car and 1080 wasn't a design principle
    >for the Eee PC. It may well do 1080 some day, but by then it will just be
    >another down-sized laptop.

    Not weird in the context of my own use.

    I really do use my 901 as a web book, but it has another use: as
    a node for my TV system.

    Mostly I watch TV on regular television sets that are fed by the
    system, but at night I'll often watch a movie or the rest of some
    show I didn't finish earlier in the day while laying in bed. No
    hard drive, plenty battery life....

    Works great except for HD shows. I can still watch them, but I
    have to tell the system to down-level the rez on-the-fly.

    No real loss for talking heads like Charlie Rose or Jay Leno...
    but it falls short for movies where a certain level of detail and
    ability to render lots of motion is needed.

    It's still acting as a more-or-less-dumb terminal - just being
    asked to render stuff that's beyond the capabilities of a
    graphics engine that relies on the CPU.

    Offloading that rendering to a dedicated chip would be an
    improvement.

    Dunno what it would do the power requirements though - and
    economy of power use seems tb a key part of what makes something
    a "web book" instead of a regular laptop.
    --
    PeteCresswell