    me trouble (i.e. try to take over the boot order, or something)?

    Thanks

    - elmar

    Full Name, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Full Name

    Flasherly Guest

    No - check its specs (may nned BIOS enable interupt 19, depending).
    I've three IDE DVD burners and 4 HDs and have had up to three of the
    things (PROMISE & SYBA) going simultaneously on the PCI bus. Nice for
    burning.

    Flasherly, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Full Name

    Full Name Guest

    In article <1122790958.653023.145720
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > No - check its specs (may nned BIOS enable interupt 19, depending).
    > I've three IDE DVD burners and 4 HDs and have had up to three of the
    > things (PROMISE & SYBA) going simultaneously on the PCI bus. Nice for
    > burning.

    Can you give me model numbers for the eide controllers that DO
    work with the mobo and bios? One that Ihad crapped out (and ld
    Promise), and it always tried tot ake over the boot unless I
    forced the HDs into slave mode.

    - elmar

    Full Name, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Full Name

    Flasherly Guest

    Got the promise with a HD purchase and it supports optics, so I put
    DVDs on it. I pulled my SYBA PATA out and just run two now - the
    promise SATA. Both SYBA are RAID capable. From my backups:
    (1) SIL680 - Driver for SIL680 chipset (Without RAID Function)
    DOS - DOS Driver
    Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
    (2) SIL680RAID - Driver for SIL680 chipset (With RAID Function)
    DOS - DOS Driver
    Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
    Medley - RAID Utility for Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
    (3) SIL3112 - Driver for SIL3112 chipset (Without RAID Function)
    Linux - Tweaking Red Hat 9.0 Driver
    Novell - Novell Driver
    Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
    (4) SIL3112RAID - Driver for SIL3112 chipset (With RAID Function)
    Linux - Tweaking Red Hat 9.0 Driver
    Novell - Novell Driver
    Win_Drv - For Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
    Medley - RAID Utility for Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP

    LINUX stuff I'm not up on, but could be you're into item - (4). I've
    item (2).
    Remember seeing Koutech, not much more, and picked SYBA probably
    because of price and/or greater availabilty.

    No problems - http://www.syba.com/product/43/index.html

    Flasherly, Aug 1, 2005
  5. Full Name

    Full Name Guest

    In article <1122852422.347744.275090
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > No problems - http://www.syba.com/product/43/index.html

    so http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
    Item=N82E16815124001 will do it (even though I don't use RAID)?
    If so, great! As I said, it's a win2K box running on an asus
    A7V8X, so I want to be sure I don't burn anything out or lock up
    the system.

    - elmar

    p.s. now to find a stick of 512M RAM for the mobo as well....

    Full Name, Aug 1, 2005
  6. Full Name

    Flasherly Guest

    Newegg's been down for awhile - server problem. Just lost my ATA
    Maxtor 160G this morning. Had it RAIDED with a WD 160G for awhile on a
    PATA RAID SYBA. The WD died on that card under warantee (replaced 3
    times before they got it right). That's also when I gave up RAID, and
    shortly after went back to MB EIDE connectors. The dead Maxtor has
    been going for 3 months since the WD - which lasted maybe 2 years, an
    unregistered drive, but seems shorter. Serial# was way out in left
    field according to Maxtor's RMA dept. Both were used in video
    encoding, though I emailed Maxtor I'll be buying Seagate from now on.
    Don't exactly trust the replacement WD, either, but will have to see
    how that goes.

    Moral of my story - raiding with "inexpensive, bargain, or BestBuy
    90day waranty drives", and, (unmatched) ATA drives may (or may not)
    prove hazardous to their lifespan.

    Beyond raiding, nah, shouldn't be any worry there - SYBA (presume
    that's what you're looking at on NewEgg) is a funcard. Anything under
    $10-$15 that works well enough and without problems is fun my book.
    You'll get the usual new device recognition boot up for the included
    CD.

    Good luck in the RAM - prices have been fantastic lately. Picked up
    512M recently for $30 on NewEgg, PCQ or somesuch, where there's a lot
    of it deeply discounted in the returned section. Paid almost $80 not
    long ago, though it was GEIL's value series. Have yet to test the new
    stuff timings and slotting.

    Flasherly, Aug 3, 2005