Elysium 2013 vs Oblivion 2013

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Skybuck Flying, Sep 11, 2013.

  1. Hello,

    Today/This night I felt like watching some nice sci-fi movies. I havent
    watched hollywood movies in a while so it was about time ! ;)

    And I knew there were some interesting movies out there that I might like.

    I had heard about oblivion a while ago and I also saw advertisements for
    elysium.

    These are two different movies. I saw both tonight.

    First elysium and then oblivion.

    I had a feeling I would like oblivion... but somebody on the piratebay wrote
    that it's plot was predictable... so I wasn't sure if it was a good movie.

    So I watch elysium first since it had jodie foster and it might be a better
    movie since people seemed to like that and it was higher on the list... but
    that
    could be because it's newer.

    Anyway... I won't keep you in suspense any longer.

    The movie I liked best was DEFINETLY:

    OBLIVION !!!!!!!!!

    Hands down.

    It's graphics were way more cool, way more space, way more sci-fi than
    elysium.

    Somebody wrote it was a moon clone... so that kind spoiled it a bit but not
    really... I had seen moon too... so it was kinda nice what to expect from
    oblivion.

    I did not find the story predictable at all... oblivion had me sitting on
    the edge of my seat, as Tom was exploring the caves.

    Oblivion was a very exciting movie especially for computers nerds like me ;)

    The graphics/space ship designs even reminded me of Turrican... which is a
    very good c64 game.

    Anyway elysium wasn't bad either... it was a more messy/dirty future film...
    and it was more action prone. This movie reminded me a bit of halo... and my
    own plot that moon people would look down on earth people lol... a scary
    thought... elysium scared my pants pretty much from the start of the
    movie... it was a somewhat realistic feel to it.

    At least the scanner part that healed people... pretty amazing ! ;) =D
    Somewhat emotional ending too... but then... does it make sense to rescque
    DNA-defected people ? ;) oops little spoiler there lol... food for though ;)

    Both movies definetly deserve a watch.

    I'd give elysium a 9.9 and oblivion a 9.9.

    Both are equally well done... elysium gets 0.1 points deduction for somewhat
    predictable plot to take over the space station. And oblivion gets a 0.1
    deduction for being a moon clone ;)

    But both movies pretty much nailed it.

    Oblivion is definetly my favorite... I didn't really feel like Tom played
    it's part that well... I kinda believed he was simply Tom Cruise in a movie
    and not a character of a movie... but I didn't mind... I think this movie
    was shot... during his break up with his love... his girlfriend katie or
    something... the other girly in the movie even looked a bit like it ;)

    So say it has scientology or religion influences in it... I say hogwosh to
    that... I did love the romian part of it at the end pretty cool... yes it
    was a little bit like it was religion but so what...
    Ultimately it turns out not to be a bible but a warbook or something ;)
    Maybe they should have used "The Art of War" by Tsu Sun instead of that red
    book lol ;) Anyway...

    Maybe Tom had a though time... getting into his role... maybe his head was
    with katie... I do forgive him... ofcourse... it was a good movie... he
    looked a bit sad during the movie... so it shine through a little bit.

    There also was a bit of lllllovvve in the movie which was pretty cool ! ;)
    =D

    So hands down oblivion ones for being a somewhat more romantic movie ! ;)
    =DDDDD

    I absolutely loved the cave part with the orange eyes... for exciting part.

    And I also absolutely loved the end part... flash backs... and then entering
    the mother ship to finally unravel... the mystery.

    I was worried a bit... near the end was thinking... GJEZ... I've been
    watching this movie for so long now... and I still haven't seen any aliens
    ;) :)

    I guess the movie is kinda building up to the end PART LOL
    Wiwiwiwiwiwiwhihihi.

    And then you'll be happy you ll finally get to see it ! ;) =D

    The end part was pretty cool... felt a bit tron like... but that's all I am
    saying for now ;) =D

    You ll have to see it.

    Oh that reminds me... somebody on piratebay wrote it reminded him of portal
    2... hmm yes... now that I have seen the movie... it does have some
    resemblence... but I certainly don't mind... balls... eyes... etc that's
    what he was on about ! ;) =D

    I for one... I am glad I saw these two movies... especially oblivion...

    I haven't seen such a good sci-fi movie in a while...

    I was just very happy during the movie watching all the nice special effects
    and spaceship fly... I just couldn't believe how good it was ! ;)

    There were some parts which did show it was clearly cgi... but that's ok..

    It was kinda fun to see the entire world being destroyed and such... not
    totally... just broken stuff... stranded ships... statues etc... the
    usually I guess... but still kinda funny/nice.

    The movie had lot's of suspencion... during the entire movie I was thinking
    to myself: "WTF is going on ?!" ;) =D

    And that's exactly how a movie should be.

    I do have some gripes with it though... the dialog/monoloog was hard to
    understand/hear/listening too... it's a bit mombly....

    Somehow the voices are a bit muffed... not sure why that is... could just be
    the copy or maybe it's just the movie... to bad but I enjoyed it anyway. I
    just turned the volume up during dialogs and later turned it down a bit.

    OH YEAH THAT REMINDS ME... oblivion has a pretty cool soundtrack ! ;) =D

    I'll try and download it now...

    So again oblivion is my favorite... way better soundtrack then elysium I
    think ;) :)

    I can't even remember elysium soundtreack though now its coming back a
    bit... it had some short action music if I remember correctly or perhaps
    that was even oblivion oh well now I am confused a little bit lol.

    The ending of oblivion was also somewhat suprising so well done to that I
    say... very cool/feel good movie I guess ! ;) =D Also a bit sad ofcourse
    that tom dies... but his clone comes back.. lol major spoiler there lol...
    is that a brain **** too ? lol... not really but it has one thinking...

    Would you accept a clone of your lover if your real lover died ? ;) =D <-
    Food for though ! LOL :) =D Woeyeah ! ;) =D

    Wieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, now I try and go and download the
    soundtrack..

    But first I am gonna watch the end one more time lol ! ;)=D

    Coool...

    Bye,
    Bye,
    Skybuck ;) =D

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 11, 2013

  3. The Day After ;) :)

    Now that I had a good sleep on it... I am still amazed by Oblivion ! ;) =D

    I think this movie has broken new ground when it comes to visuals.

    I am just amazed about it... it looked so damn good... I just had to know
    how they did it.

    The rotten tomatoes site has some videos about oblivion how it was made.

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com

    Pretty amazing.

    The bubbleship was actually build. The bike too.

    I would have been so nervous to damage it or something like that if I was on
    that set... wow...

    I can't believe they pulled it off.

    Also a gimbal device to rotate everything in reality wow.

    The landing pad was also created in reality... damn cool... maybe even the
    pool wow ! ;) :)

    Tom Cruise acted very well in War of the Worlds (A Steven Spielberg movie).

    And that movie was pretty good too.

    Now Tom Cruise has picked another script or maybe his manager did... and
    it's spot on lol.

    So I kinda new the movie was good... cause Tom or his manager has a feel for
    it ?!

    Maybe it was just luck I dont know... (His worst movie was probably the last
    ninja/sumaria or something lol, so he has had some bad movies/picks as well)
    ;)

    But when it comes to sci-fi he or his manager knows what's cool, what's
    hot... what's fantastic.

    I for one and so glad this movie was made... wow !

    It makes me somewhat curious to what Tom's next Sci-Fi movie will be if
    there ever is a next Tom Cruise sci-fi movie ?! ;) =D

    Also I would love another oblivion related movie.

    Apperently the oblivion music came first and the movie second... a very
    interesting and successfull approach.

    I for one... have a very nice surround sound system which can handle all
    frequencies from 40 to 44.1 Khz lacking a subwoofer but that's ok, the
    speakers can mimic it a bit.

    My first thought was: perhaps a pre-quel could be made for oblivion...
    showing how earth was destroyed... but I am not very fund of pre-quels...
    alien's prequel also wasn't so good.

    I rather see a story progressing... then falling back ;)

    So here is another idea:

    I heard Tom mention in a featuretta that Earth's Water was being harvested
    by the Aliens... to build up their new Colony on Titan.

    So it could be very interesting to have a sequel... about perhaps Titan...
    and how the Alien menace is not yet fully defeated ! ;) =D

    Bring on Oblivion 2 ! ;) =D

    They should wait a little bit with it's release until Oblivion has aired all
    across the Earth's television stations... so that everybody has a chance to
    see it for free.

    This will surely spark interest in Oblivion 2 ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, Sep 11, 2013
  4. This is the best "making of" of oblivion I have seen so far:

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/oblivion_2013/trailers/11177538/

    I am very happy that "they" choose to make everything as real as possible.

    I have been annoyed with CGI movies for a while now.

    I am very glad that this movie changes that and shows new ways of getting
    top quality visuals ! ;) =D

    GREATNESS !

    The whole of hollywood and movie making bussiness can learn from this ! ;)
    =D

    For now there simply is no substitute for reality/clouds/mountains and
    lighting.

    The ammount of photons that reality can do is probably way above what a
    computer could do ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Loving it ! ;) =D