eMac restore CDs (Panther 10.3.3) work on an iBook?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by /usr/ceo, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. /usr/ceo

    /usr/ceo Guest

    Actually have been sort of "out of it" on the Macintosh front since
    MacOS 9, so I'm looking for a little help here.

    A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Mac iBook 500mhz. The one
    that came right after the clam shells. I upgraded to MacOS X 10.2.8
    shortly thereafter, but have been there since. I decided I wanted to
    go to at least Panther, so I order Panther from a vendor on eBay and
    was sent 10.3.3 eMac restoration CDs 1 and 2. While I feel the vendor
    wasn't completely forthcoming in his auction, I know it doesn't
    necessarily mean these CDs aren't going to work and get me to Panther;
    this kind of thing is common on eBay (though I don't agree with it --
    my own auctions are impeccably detailed with nothing obscure.) Anyway,
    can someone tell me if these CDs are going to work?

    To summarize, I have:

    (1) An Apple iBook 500mhz, original iBook that came out right after the
    clam shells.
    (2) eMac 10.3.3 restoration CDs 1 and 2.

    Is #2 going to work with #1 and I end up with Panther on #1 when I am
    done?

    Thanks!
    /usr/ceo
    /usr/ceo, Jan 9, 2006

  2. /usr/ceo wrote:
    > Actually have been sort of "out of it" on the Macintosh front since
    > MacOS 9, so I'm looking for a little help here.
    >
    > A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Mac iBook 500mhz. The one
    > that came right after the clam shells. I upgraded to MacOS X 10.2.8
    > shortly thereafter, but have been there since. I decided I wanted to
    > go to at least Panther, so I order Panther from a vendor on eBay and
    > was sent 10.3.3 eMac restoration CDs 1 and 2. While I feel the vendor
    > wasn't completely forthcoming in his auction, I know it doesn't
    > necessarily mean these CDs aren't going to work and get me to Panther;
    > this kind of thing is common on eBay (though I don't agree with it --
    > my own auctions are impeccably detailed with nothing obscure.) Anyway,
    > can someone tell me if these CDs are going to work?
    >
    > To summarize, I have:
    >
    > (1) An Apple iBook 500mhz, original iBook that came out right after the
    > clam shells.
    > (2) eMac 10.3.3 restoration CDs 1 and 2.
    >
    > Is #2 going to work with #1 and I end up with Panther on #1 when I am
    > done?

    No it won't work. The restoration disks will only work on the machine
    for for which they were designed. You need a set of proper Panther
    installer disks, i.e., the retail version.

    Chu

    --
    chuenginsberg at mac dot com
    Chu-En Ginsberg, Jan 10, 2006

  3. /usr/ceo

    Sandstone Guest

    /usr/ceo wrote:

    > Actually have been sort of "out of it" on the Macintosh front since
    > MacOS 9, so I'm looking for a little help here.
    >
    > A couple of years ago I bought my wife a Mac iBook 500mhz. The one
    > that came right after the clam shells. I upgraded to MacOS X 10.2.8
    > shortly thereafter, but have been there since. I decided I wanted to
    > go to at least Panther, so I order Panther from a vendor on eBay and
    > was sent 10.3.3 eMac restoration CDs 1 and 2. While I feel the vendor
    > wasn't completely forthcoming in his auction, I know it doesn't
    > necessarily mean these CDs aren't going to work and get me to Panther;
    > this kind of thing is common on eBay (though I don't agree with it --
    > my own auctions are impeccably detailed with nothing obscure.) Anyway,
    > can someone tell me if these CDs are going to work?
    >
    > To summarize, I have:
    >
    > (1) An Apple iBook 500mhz, original iBook that came out right after the
    > clam shells.
    > (2) eMac 10.3.3 restoration CDs 1 and 2.
    >
    > Is #2 going to work with #1 and I end up with Panther on #1 when I am
    > done?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > /usr/ceo

    I have a Digital Audio G4 with 9.2.2. When I upgraded to OS X, I bought
    Panther 10.3.3 install CDs from OWC. These CDs had labels that said eMac
    Mac OS X. The labels are grey with white printing - white apple at top of
    label. Three CDs came labelled "Install Disc 1", "Install Disc 2" and
    "Install Disc 3" (didn't actually use Disc 3). Each CD had the following
    on the label

    Mac OS Version 10.3.3
    CD Version 1.0
    2Z691-4926-A

    These CDs did indeed install Panther 10.3.3 on my G4. Later, I downloaded
    the 10.3.9 combo updater and updated to 10.3.9. No problems with any of
    this. I wouldn't be surprised if the CDs you bought are the same as mine
    and will work for you - despite the eMac label.

    I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
    DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
    this statement

    "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
    X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
    installation provided by a retail box disc."

    They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
    check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
    label was a "not to worry".
    Sandstone, Jan 10, 2006
  4. Sandstone <> wrote:

    > I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
    > DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
    > this statement
    >
    > "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
    > X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
    > installation provided by a retail box disc."
    >
    > They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
    > check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
    > label was a "not to worry".

    The question then is whether you believe them (and also whether they
    even actually know it to be true for *ALL* cases - not just isolated
    ones) themselves.

    I have personally tried using the OS from a specific Apple model on
    another one. Some things worked. Others didn't. It would have been easy
    to stop at the things that worked and draw incorrect conclusions.
    Checking a few instances is *NOT* at all the same thing as actually
    knowing the universality for a fact. My exact models involved were no
    doubt different that yours, but it was certainly enough to make me
    doubtful about such claims "not to worry".

    But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
    obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
    violation of the license... does that suggest to you that people who
    sell such things separately are 100% trustworthy in all matters?

    org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain
    Richard E Maine, Jan 10, 2006
  5. /usr/ceo

    /usr/ceo Guest

    Richard E Maine wrote:
    > Sandstone <> wrote:
    >
    > > I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
    > > DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
    > > this statement
    > >
    > > "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
    > > X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
    > > installation provided by a retail box disc."
    > >
    > > They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
    > > check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
    > > label was a "not to worry".

    > The question then is whether you believe them (and also whether they
    > even actually know it to be true for *ALL* cases - not just isolated
    > ones) themselves.
    >
    > I have personally tried using the OS from a specific Apple model on
    > another one. Some things worked. Others didn't. It would have been easy
    > to stop at the things that worked and draw incorrect conclusions.
    > Checking a few instances is *NOT* at all the same thing as actually
    > knowing the universality for a fact. My exact models involved were no
    > doubt different that yours, but it was certainly enough to make me
    > doubtful about such claims "not to worry".
    >
    > But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
    > obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
    > violation of the license... does that suggest to you that people who
    > sell such things separately are 100% trustworthy in all matters?

    My sentiments exactly. When I sell on eBay, I provide this level of
    detail so people can make informed decisions. My expectation is that I
    would have received the retail version of Panther.

    I called the vendor myself and they assured me all would be fine. But
    this thread is beginning to speak otherwise, as I imagined that it
    would. It's easy to see how these guys are simply removing the
    software that comes with certain machines and reselling it. Which
    definitely is not capiesh.

    Not sure what I'm going to do. I'm likely stuck since the seller had a
    7-day return policy. I think I'm going to give it a whirl. Out of 70+
    transactions on eBay, this is the only one I have any disappointment
    in, which isn't too bad, I guess. Still, getting burned once is
    sometimes all it takes.

    Thanks for all the feedback.

    /usr/ceo
    /usr/ceo, Jan 10, 2006
  6. /usr/ceo

    Ray Laughton Guest

    Sandstone <> wrote:

    > I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
    > DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
    > this statement
    >
    > "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
    > X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
    > installation provided by a retail box disc."
    >
    > They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
    > check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
    > label was a "not to worry".

    I had the same experience using a Jaguar DVD (or was it CDs?) from a
    Titanium PB on a G4 tower.. But no chance of coping the OS from one HD
    to another since OS X.

    RL
    Ray Laughton, Jan 10, 2006
  7. /usr/ceo

    Sandstone Guest

    Richard E Maine wrote:

    > Sandstone <> wrote:
    >
    > > I checked macsales.com today and now they only sell Panther 10.3.3 on a
    > > DVD and its label has "ibook G4". Underneath the picture they now have
    > > this statement
    > >
    > > "Although these OS X discs are labeled for a specific Apple model, the OS
    > > X install is complete and fully universal. No different than the OS X
    > > installation provided by a retail box disc."
    > >
    > > They didn't have this statement when I bought the CD version but I did
    > > check with them on the phone before I bought and was assured the eMac
    > > label was a "not to worry".

    > The question then is whether you believe them (and also whether they
    > even actually know it to be true for *ALL* cases - not just isolated
    > ones) themselves.
    >
    > I have personally tried using the OS from a specific Apple model on
    > another one. Some things worked. Others didn't. It would have been easy
    > to stop at the things that worked and draw incorrect conclusions.
    > Checking a few instances is *NOT* at all the same thing as actually
    > knowing the universality for a fact. My exact models involved were no
    > doubt different that yours, but it was certainly enough to make me
    > doubtful about such claims "not to worry".
    >
    > But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
    > obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
    > violation of the license... does that suggest to you that people who
    > sell such things separately are 100% trustworthy in all matters?
    >
    > --
    > Richard Maine | Good judgment comes from experience;
    > email: my first.last at org.domain| experience comes from bad judgment.
    > org: nasa, domain: gov | -- Mark Twain

    Richard, your logic is impeccable. My reply to the OP was simply an
    anectdotal data point intended to give him some hope that what he bought might
    actually work. FWIW the grey label CDs I bought included an Apple License
    Agreement for a Single User License and they also installed iLife. Everything
    worked for me but Caveat Emptor I guess.
    Sandstone, Jan 10, 2006
  8. Richard E Maine <> wrote:

    > But perhaps the biggest point is...considering that such DVDs can be
    > obtained only with a machine and that selling them separately is a
    > violation of the license

    AFAIK, the Apple software license has not contained any such restriction
    for many years.
    Neill Massello, Jan 10, 2006