    had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
    warranty with it.

    TIA

    kraut, Apr 8, 2009

  2. kraut

    Frank Guest

    kraut wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?
    >
    > I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
    > had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
    > warranty with it.
    >
    > TIA

    Question is who owns Gateway:

    http://www.crn.com/it-channel/201804110

    what restructuring is involved and what are states of bankruptcy.

    When I bought my last GW 2 years ago, it was almost like buying a
    generic machine as far as some of the literature went.

    Frank, Apr 8, 2009

  3. kraut

    kraut Guest

    On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 20:19:07 -0400, Frank
    <> wrote:

    >kraut wrote:
    >>
    >> Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?
    >>
    >> I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
    >> had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
    >> warranty with it.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    >Question is who owns Gateway:
    >
    >http://www.crn.com/it-channel/201804110
    >
    >what restructuring is involved and what are states of bankruptcy.
    >
    >When I bought my last GW 2 years ago, it was almost like buying a
    >generic machine as far as some of the literature went.

    Yes well on this eMachine that had the 1 year Gateway warranty there
    is an C:\acer directory with a bunch of stuff I have not really
    checked out yet so who know who owns what!!

    Thanks for the reply.

    kraut, Apr 8, 2009
  4. kraut

    Ben Myers Guest

    kraut wrote:

    > Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?
    >
    > I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
    > had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
    > warranty with it.
    >
    > TIA

    At this time, none of the above. Acer bought eGateMachines a while
    back, lock stock and barrel. Now Acer owns both the Gateway and the
    emachines brand names.

    IIRC, Gateway got the corporate upper hand when it came together with
    eMachines, but many of the eMachines execs remains.

    Prior to acquisition by Acer, the Gateway boxes used good quality
    Intel-designed and branded motherboards in the boxes with Intel CPUs,
    much like they did going way back to Pentium II days. The recent
    eMachines used either DFI or Intel motherboards, depending on model, a
    drastic improvement from the junk inside their earlier computers, prior
    to Pentium 4. But the power supplies were made by Bestec, a paragon of
    low quality. When Bestec PSUs fail, they generally take out the
    motherboard, too. I tossed away some perfectly good eMachines black
    cases because motherboards with an eMachines BIOS are in such short
    supply. It made no sense at all to pay a premium for a replacement
    motherboard... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 8, 2009
  5. kraut

    Frank Guest

    On Apr 7, 11:37 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > kraut wrote:
    >
    > > Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?

    > > I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
    > > had Windows XP on it.  When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
    > > warranty with it.

    > > TIA

    > At this time, none of the above.  Acer bought eGateMachines a while
    > back, lock stock and barrel.  Now Acer owns both the Gateway and the
    > emachines brand names.
    >
    > IIRC, Gateway got the corporate upper hand when it came together with
    > eMachines, but many of the eMachines execs remains.
    >
    > Prior to acquisition by Acer, the Gateway boxes used good quality
    > Intel-designed and branded motherboards in the boxes with Intel CPUs,
    > much like they did going way back to Pentium II days.  The recent
    > eMachines used either DFI or Intel motherboards, depending on model, a
    > drastic improvement from the junk inside their earlier computers, prior
    > to Pentium 4.  But the power supplies were made by Bestec, a paragon of
    > low quality.  When Bestec PSUs fail, they generally take out the
    > motherboard, too.  I tossed away some perfectly good eMachines black
    > cases because motherboards with an eMachines BIOS are in such short
    > supply.  It made no sense at all to pay a premium for a replacement
    > motherboard... Ben Myers

    For those of us that are just users and not computer persons, this
    stuff gets confusing.
    I went through warranty issue last year in that I had bought computer
    at Comp USA and found extended warranty was with them and not GW but I
    was dealing with 2 companies undergoing restructuring. Fortunately
    Comp USA replaced problem keyboard.

    Frank, Apr 8, 2009
  6. kraut

    Ben Myers Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > On Apr 7, 11:37 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >> kraut wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just out of curiosity does Gateway own eMachines or vice-versa?
    >>> I just purchased an eMachine because I got a good deal on it plus it
    >>> had Windows XP on it. When I unpacked it there was a one year Gateway
    >>> warranty with it.
    >>> TIA

    >> At this time, none of the above. Acer bought eGateMachines a while
    >> back, lock stock and barrel. Now Acer owns both the Gateway and the
    >> emachines brand names.
    >>
    >> IIRC, Gateway got the corporate upper hand when it came together with
    >> eMachines, but many of the eMachines execs remains.
    >>
    >> Prior to acquisition by Acer, the Gateway boxes used good quality
    >> Intel-designed and branded motherboards in the boxes with Intel CPUs,
    >> much like they did going way back to Pentium II days. The recent
    >> eMachines used either DFI or Intel motherboards, depending on model, a
    >> drastic improvement from the junk inside their earlier computers, prior
    >> to Pentium 4. But the power supplies were made by Bestec, a paragon of
    >> low quality. When Bestec PSUs fail, they generally take out the
    >> motherboard, too. I tossed away some perfectly good eMachines black
    >> cases because motherboards with an eMachines BIOS are in such short
    >> supply. It made no sense at all to pay a premium for a replacement
    >> motherboard... Ben Myers

    > For those of us that are just users and not computer persons, this
    > stuff gets confusing.
    > I went through warranty issue last year in that I had bought computer
    > at Comp USA and found extended warranty was with them and not GW but I
    > was dealing with 2 companies undergoing restructuring. Fortunately
    > Comp USA replaced problem keyboard.

    ALWAYS important to ask who is providing any service or replacement
    parts under warranty and for how long. For example, I do not know the
    answer, but who provides warranty parts and service for a Dell system
    bought at WAL*MART ???

    Also, it generally makes no sense at all to buy an extended warranty on
    a desktop system. Depending on who actually does the warranty work, it
    may not be a good idea to get an extended warranty on a laptop.

    A warranty is no better than the financial well-being of the company
    providing it... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 8, 2009
  7. kraut

    Frank Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Frank wrote:

    >>> At this time, none of the above. Acer bought eGateMachines a while
    >>> back, lock stock and barrel. Now Acer owns both the Gateway and the
    >>> emachines brand names.
    >>>
    >>> IIRC, Gateway got the corporate upper hand when it came together with
    >>> eMachines, but many of the eMachines execs remains.
    >>>
    >>> Prior to acquisition by Acer, the Gateway boxes used good quality
    >>> Intel-designed and branded motherboards in the boxes with Intel CPUs,
    >>> much like they did going way back to Pentium II days. The recent
    >>> eMachines used either DFI or Intel motherboards, depending on model, a
    >>> drastic improvement from the junk inside their earlier computers, prior
    >>> to Pentium 4. But the power supplies were made by Bestec, a paragon of
    >>> low quality. When Bestec PSUs fail, they generally take out the
    >>> motherboard, too. I tossed away some perfectly good eMachines black
    >>> cases because motherboards with an eMachines BIOS are in such short
    >>> supply. It made no sense at all to pay a premium for a replacement
    >>> motherboard... Ben Myers

    >> For those of us that are just users and not computer persons, this
    >> stuff gets confusing.
    >> I went through warranty issue last year in that I had bought computer
    >> at Comp USA and found extended warranty was with them and not GW but I
    >> was dealing with 2 companies undergoing restructuring. Fortunately
    >> Comp USA replaced problem keyboard.

    > ALWAYS important to ask who is providing any service or replacement
    > parts under warranty and for how long. For example, I do not know the
    > answer, but who provides warranty parts and service for a Dell system
    > bought at WAL*MART ???
    >
    > Also, it generally makes no sense at all to buy an extended warranty on
    > a desktop system. Depending on who actually does the warranty work, it
    > may not be a good idea to get an extended warranty on a laptop.
    >
    > A warranty is no better than the financial well-being of the company
    > providing it... Ben Myers

    Yes, all previous computers were bought directly from GW and I had
    extended warranties that were not that expensive. I did not realize
    this in buying from Comp USA. Years ago I had one GW that was a real
    lemon and even got a new monitor a month before the extended warranty
    expired. I wish I could have collected the frequent flier miles on that
    computer. That was over a dozen years ago but in today's climate, I
    would not buy an extended warranty.

    Frank, Apr 8, 2009