    If the computer is marked Energy Star, which this one is, would that
    make any difference?

    Thanks.

    micky, Aug 16, 2012

  2. micky

    Salvatore Guest

    On 2012-08-16, micky <> wrote:
    > When a Mac user, an iMac USB 2.0, has the harddrives set to turn off
    > after N minutes, does that include USB and Firewire external
    > harddrives?

    Yes, but I know from experience that some external USB 2.0 drives will
    spin down after a period of inactivity on their own, no matter what the
    operating system is set to do.

    > If the computer is marked Energy Star, which this one is, would that
    > make any difference?

    That simply means that the computer uses little power. An iMac uses
    between 205 and 310 watts, which is low for a computer and a monitor.

    --
    Blah blah bleh...

    GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

    Salvatore, Aug 16, 2012

  3. In article <>,
    micky <> wrote:

    > When a Mac user, an iMac USB 2.0, has the harddrives set to turn off
    > after N minutes, does that include USB and Firewire external
    > harddrives?
    >
    > My friend says it didn't, but he doesn't know how to get into the
    > right screen so maybe it's not set to turn off. .
    >
    > In this case I do't need a detailed answer, because, though it's
    > inconvenient, I can go over there for a few minutes. .
    >
    > If the computer is marked Energy Star, which this one is, would that
    > make any difference?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Can you discuss your definition of "turn off". Usually, when a device
    is powered down, it no longer responds to commands unless some part of
    it is actually not powered down but drawing a small amount of current to
    "listen" for power up commands. Some would call it "sleep" rather than
    "power off".

    MacOS's System Preferences has an Energy Saver panel. You can set the
    display and system to sleep after a period. I set mine to blank the
    display after 2 hours. I don't allow my MacPro to sleep. You can set
    the disk drives to 'sleep' from this panel also. There's no granularity
    on this. If the system goes to sleep, the drives will also.

    BUT, if the drive doesn't support this sort of powered down mode, it
    doesn't matter. Note the drives are not 'turn off'.

    Michael Vilain, Aug 16, 2012
  4. micky

    micky Guest

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 09:52:26 -0700, Michael Vilain
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > micky <> wrote:
    >
    >> When a Mac user, an iMac USB 2.0, has the harddrives set to turn off
    >> after N minutes, does that include USB and Firewire external
    >> harddrives?
    >>
    >> My friend says it didn't,

    That is, he could still feel it vibrating a little, because it was
    spinning.

    >> but he doesn't know how to get into the
    >> right screen so maybe it's not set to turn off. .
    >>
    >> In this case I do't need a detailed answer, because, though it's
    >> inconvenient, I can go over there for a few minutes. .
    >>
    >> If the computer is marked Energy Star, which this one is, would that
    >> make any difference?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >Can you discuss your definition of "turn off". Usually, when a device

    Sorry. I meant spin down.

    >>is powered down, it no longer responds to commands unless some part of

    >it is actually not powered down but drawing a small amount of current to
    >"listen" for power up commands. Some would call it "sleep" rather than
    >"power off".
    >
    >MacOS's System Preferences has an Energy Saver panel. You can set the
    >display and system to sleep after a period. I set mine to blank the
    >display after 2 hours. I don't allow my MacPro to sleep. You can set
    >the disk drives to 'sleep' from this panel also. There's no granularity
    >on this. If the system goes to sleep, the drives will also.

    That would be perfect, except like y ou sayin the next line.

    >BUT, if the drive doesn't support this sort of powered down mode, it
    >doesn't matter.

    That's very important. Thanks.

    >Note the drives are not 'turn off'.

    Okay.

    Thanks Michael and Salvatore.

    micky, Aug 16, 2012
  5. micky

    JF Mezei Guest

    USB remains powered during sleep. Your iPhone continues to charge for
    instance, and a wired keyboard continues to respond to a keypress (to
    wake the machine up).

    I have a USB-Bluetooth dongle and it remains on to listed to the mouse
    so that if I move the mouse, the machien wakes up.

    So if a USB drive is to spin down, it would be because the mac would
    send it a "spin down" command (if such a thing exists for USB drives)
    and not because the USB bus is being powered down.

    JF Mezei, Aug 16, 2012
  6. micky

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    Salvatore <> wrote:

    > I know from experience that some external USB 2.0 drives will
    > spin down after a period of inactivity on their own, no matter what the
    > operating system is set to do.

    If one does not want that, there are several solutions. For instance,
    Keep Drive Spinning.
    --
    <http://www.decohen.com>
    The Labyrinth of the Heart: Changed Myths for Changing Lives

    Daniel Cohen, Aug 16, 2012
  7. micky

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <>,
    micky <> wrote:

    > >BUT, if the drive doesn't support this sort of powered down mode, it
    > >doesn't matter.

    > That's very important. Thanks.

    In general, USB drives do not spin down. In general Firewire drives do,
    if they use the right Oxford bridge board. Ask the enclosure maker about
    this. While you're at it, confirm that the enclosure can boot the Mac.
    Some can't.

    --
    Remember, I'm pullin' for ya.
    We're all in this together.

    Fred Moore, Aug 17, 2012
  8. micky

    micky Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 10:20:31 -0400, Fred Moore <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > micky <> wrote:
    >
    >> >BUT, if the drive doesn't support this sort of powered down mode, it
    >> >doesn't matter.

    >> That's very important. Thanks.

    >In general, USB drives do not spin down. In general Firewire drives do,

    An important distinction.

    >if they use the right Oxford bridge board. Ask the enclosure maker about
    >this. While you're at it, confirm that the enclosure can boot the Mac.
    >Some can't.

    Well, I called G-Technology a week ago and confirmed that they can
    boot, but didn't think to ask about spinning down. I hate to call
    again, but maybe I have too. I wish they would say all this stuff
    on their product webpages. (For example, Ebay puts questions and
    answers on their listings automatically (although I think the seller
    chooses which questions get there.)

    Right now my friend is using my USB drive, which spun for a solid week
    though it read and wrote nothing, , but I'm going to get him firewire
    soon.

    Thanks.

    micky, Aug 17, 2012
  9. micky

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    Fred Moore <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > micky <> wrote:

    >> >BUT, if the drive doesn't support this sort of powered down mode, it
    >> >doesn't matter.

    >> That's very important. Thanks.

    > In general, USB drives do not spin down.

    That is not at all accurate.

    --
    "Your stepmom is cute"
    "Shut up, Ted"

    Lewis, Aug 17, 2012
  10. micky

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <-september.org>
    > Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > >> That's very important. Thanks.

    > > In general, USB drives do not spin down.

    > That is not at all accurate.

    Then please supply some references/documentation to support your claim.

    Fred Moore, Aug 17, 2012
  11. micky

    Lewis Guest

    In message <-september.org>
    Fred Moore <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Lewis <> wrote:

    >> In message <-september.org>
    >> Fred Moore <> wrote:

    >> > In general, USB drives do not spin down.

    >> That is not at all accurate.

    > Then please supply some references/documentation to support your claim.

    How about the USB3 drive connected to my PC which clearly pauses and
    whirrs up when you first access it after an hour or two of not using it?

    --
    "Woof bloody woof."

    Lewis, Aug 17, 2012
  12. micky

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <-september.org>
    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Lewis <> wrote:

    > >> That is not at all accurate.

    > > Then please supply some references/documentation to support your claim.

    > How about the USB3 drive connected to my PC which clearly pauses and
    > whirrs up when you first access it after an hour or two of not using it?

    Okay, USB 3 is only recently available. I have no experience with USB 3
    hard drives. If yours spins down on system sleep, good. Thanks, now I
    know. Please note that I took the care to preface my remark about USB HD
    spin down with the phrase 'In general'. The only USB <3 drives I've ever
    encountered which did spin down with system sleep had special drivers.
    The run of the mill don't, in general.

    Fred Moore, Aug 17, 2012
  13. In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Lewis <> wrote:
    >
    > > In message <-september.org>
    > > Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > > > Then please supply some references/documentation to support your claim.

    > > How about the USB3 drive connected to my PC which clearly pauses and
    > > whirrs up when you first access it after an hour or two of not using it?

    > Okay, USB 3 is only recently available. I have no experience with USB 3
    > hard drives. If yours spins down on system sleep, good. Thanks, now I
    > know. Please note that I took the care to preface my remark about USB HD
    > spin down with the phrase 'In general'. The only USB <3 drives I've ever
    > encountered which did spin down with system sleep had special drivers.
    > The run of the mill don't, in general.

    I have a LaCie Q2 1TB and a Seagate Freeagent 1TB drive. They spin down
    when attached with Firewire and also via USB 2. So I guess it's the
    interface inside the enclosure that does this. If it was a cheaper
    enclosure, like say Western Digital (all three of their drives died
    within 3 months), that might not be the case. The only way to test this
    hypothesis is with a large array of drives and enclosures from various
    vendors.

    Why don't I just cut to the chase.

    Girls, you're both pretty.

    Boys, you dick isn't big enough. Come back when you're older.

    Michael Vilain, Aug 18, 2012
  14. micky

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Lewis <> wrote:
    >
    > > In message <-september.org>
    > > Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > > > Then please supply some references/documentation to support your claim.

    > > How about the USB3 drive connected to my PC which clearly pauses and
    > > whirrs up when you first access it after an hour or two of not using it?

    > Okay, USB 3 is only recently available. I have no experience with USB 3
    > hard drives. If yours spins down on system sleep, good. Thanks, now I
    > know. Please note that I took the care to preface my remark about USB HD
    > spin down with the phrase 'In general'. The only USB <3 drives I've ever
    > encountered which did spin down with system sleep had special drivers.
    > The run of the mill don't, in general.

    The USB 2 drives attached to my iMac spin down. In fact, the one I use
    for backup just came up now. I do know if my iMac goes to sleep and I
    have a USB flash drive plugged in, on waking I get an error that a disk
    wasn't ejected properly so I assume that doesn't like sleep...

    --
    Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
    'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'

    Invid Fan, Aug 18, 2012
  15. micky

    micky Guest

    On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 22:07:21 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    wrote:

    >In article <-september.org>,
    >Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> Lewis <> wrote:

    >> > How about the USB3 drive connected to my PC which clearly pauses and
    >> > whirrs up when you first access it after an hour or two of not using it?

    >> Okay, USB 3 is only recently available. I have no experience with USB 3
    >> hard drives. If yours spins down on system sleep, good. Thanks, now I
    >> know. Please note that I took the care to preface my remark about USB HD
    >> spin down with the phrase 'In general'. The only USB <3 drives I've ever
    >> encountered which did spin down with system sleep had special drivers.
    >> The run of the mill don't, in general.

    >The USB 2 drives attached to my iMac spin down. In fact, the one I use
    >for backup just came up now. I do know if my iMac goes to sleep and I
    >have a USB flash drive plugged in, on waking I get an error that a disk
    >wasn't ejected properly so I assume that doesn't like sleep...

    IIUC, since the iMac doesn't go to sleep if it's in the middle of
    doing something, your flash drive data and data structure is still
    fine, even though you got that error on it whn the computer woke up.
    Right?

    And the bigger question I've had is, "If you know you have NOT copied
    anything to an external drive for say, 10 minutes -- you have no
    automatic backups or anything else automatic that would write to the
    drive without your knowing-- is it it really necessary to eject a USB
    drive properly?

    What about "write behind" or "write ahead" (read ahead?)? Does that
    apply and cause problems, when 10 minutes or more have passed since
    you wrote to the drive?

    micky, Aug 18, 2012
  16. micky

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:19:22 -0400, micky wrote:

    > And the bigger question I've had is, "If you know you have NOT copied
    > anything to an external drive for say, 10 minutes -- you have no
    > automatic backups or anything else automatic that would write to the
    > drive without your knowing-- is it it really necessary to eject a USB
    > drive properly?
    >
    > What about "write behind" or "write ahead" (read ahead?)? Does that
    > apply and cause problems, when 10 minutes or more have passed since you
    > wrote to the drive?

    Windows has a setting called something like "safe removal" for USB
    sticks. I assume this simply flushes buffers ASAP after write operations.

    FWIW I was running my old iBook booted off an external Firewire drive.
    In the event of a power cut the iBook would survive on battery power but
    the disk would go down. If I was doing anything at the time, the disk
    wouldn't come back in time and the system would freeze. Sometimes I
    would get lucky and it would come back, but that was quite rare. I
    assumed that page file activity was the culprit and OS X (10.4) couldn't
    cope with that stalling.

    --
    Paul Sture

    Paul Sture, Aug 18, 2012