    again..... so no need lugging that around

    Any ideas which model to get and what options?

    , Sep 10, 2009

  2. Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 09 Sep 2009 in comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, wrote:

    > I'm looking to buy a Lenovo laptop capable of running
    > solids modelers in training mode only. However there
    > might be many parts and assemblies
    >
    > I want a Lenovo unit where the optical drive can be
    > pulled out and replaced with modular battery as once I
    > use the optical drive I seldom if ever use it much
    > again..... so no need lugging that around
    >
    > Any ideas which model to get and what options?

    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has been ordering Thinkpads for
    their entire freshman class for the past decade. Among other software,
    they support CAD and modeling packages. Details on their program:

    http://www.rpi.edu/laptops/overview.html

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/

    Joe Makowiec, Sep 10, 2009

  3. ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Joe Makowiec wrote:
    > On 09 Sep 2009 in comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad, wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking to buy a Lenovo laptop capable of running
    >> solids modelers in training mode only. However there
    >> might be many parts and assemblies
    >>
    >> I want a Lenovo unit where the optical drive can be
    >> pulled out and replaced with modular battery as once I
    >> use the optical drive I seldom if ever use it much
    >> again..... so no need lugging that around
    >>
    >> Any ideas which model to get and what options?

    > Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) has been ordering Thinkpads for
    > their entire freshman class for the past decade. Among other
    > software, they support CAD and modeling packages. Details on their
    > program:
    >
    > http://www.rpi.edu/laptops/overview.html

    There are lots of schools and colleges that use ThinkPads. In fact this T60
    that I'm using was originally an 'acedemic spec' one according to tawbook.
    In fact, just Google 'tawbook' and the first hit is mit.edu. Also lots of
    the folks in the forum.thinkpads.com groups use them because they are the
    school standard. (I see a few posts with people complaining that they aren't
    allowed to modify their laptops until after they graduate.)

    I'm very happy with mine.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 14, 2009