ep45-ds3l : No Power?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by (PeteCresswell), Aug 22, 2009.

  1. Last nite my EP45-DS3L suddenly would not boot - no power light,
    no mobo led, nothing.

    This followed a few losses of power due to a flaky surge
    protector under the desk.

    First thing that occurred to me was that the power supply had
    bitten the big one.

    But I swapped it out for a known good power supply and the
    symptoms were the same: no sign of power.

    That seems to suggest it's not the power supply.

    Then I took an old power supply, plugged it in, and tried turning
    it on - with no connections to a mobo. Fan sort of twitched,
    and then nothing.

    This led me to believe that the power supply somehow senses
    something on the mobo that tells it whether it's safe to go or
    not.

    Am I on the right track?

    If so, could there be something on the mobo like a fuse or a
    circuit breaker that's blown/tripped?

    Or is the mobo toast?

    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 22, 2009

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    andy Guest

    On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:22:33 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <>
    wrote:

    >Last nite my EP45-DS3L suddenly would not boot - no power light,
    >no mobo led, nothing.
    >
    >This followed a few losses of power due to a flaky surge
    >protector under the desk.
    >
    >First thing that occurred to me was that the power supply had
    >bitten the big one.
    >
    >But I swapped it out for a known good power supply and the
    >symptoms were the same: no sign of power.
    >
    >That seems to suggest it's not the power supply.
    >
    >Then I took an old power supply, plugged it in, and tried turning
    >it on - with no connections to a mobo. Fan sort of twitched,
    >and then nothing.

    When you turn on the power supply using the switch that's on the power
    supply, the only power that turns on is the standby power (5Vsb on the
    ATX power connector).

    >This led me to believe that the power supply somehow senses
    >something on the mobo that tells it whether it's safe to go or
    >not.

    5Vsb powers control circuitry on the motherboard that allows the
    motherboard to turn on the power supply (PS_ON on the ATX power
    connector) when the power button on the front of the PC case is
    depressed.

    >Am I on the right track?

    The sequence of events is:
    1. Turning on power supply switch causes 5Vsb to go to +5 volts.
    2. Pressing power button on case causes PS_ON to go from > +2.4 volts
    down to < +0.8 volts, turning on full power to the motherboard and
    drives.

    andy, Aug 22, 2009

  3. Per andy:
    >>Am I on the right track?

    >The sequence of events is:
    >1. Turning on power supply switch causes 5Vsb to go to +5 volts.
    >2. Pressing power button on case causes PS_ON to go from > +2.4 volts
    >down to < +0.8 volts, turning on full power to the motherboard and
    >drives.

    I *think* I'm at the bottom of it all now.

    Seems like if there's a fault somewhere in the drives or other
    devices it can prevent the mobo from telling the power supply to
    turn on power to the mobo.

    I didn't have the expertise to check for the +5 volts, but I got
    it down to where if my data drive was connected the power supply
    would not turn on when I pressed the case's Start button.

    Disconnected the drive, mobo fired right up.

    Took the problem drive to work, hooked it into my HP PC there...
    HP booted up, but took a looooong time.... and the drive was not
    visible, albeit spinning.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 24, 2009