    later on the alarm goes off again, etc etc. I don't know but it seems the
    more fans I add inside the hotter its been getting. hmmm.

    Hugh
    F Sutherland, Jun 7, 2005

  2. F Sutherland

    DaveL Guest

    Were into June now and ambient temps are climbing. Could that be the
    reason?

    DaveL

    DaveL, Jun 7, 2005

  3. F Sutherland

    ROEKing Guest

    On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:54:04 -0400, "F Sutherland"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an EPOX EP-8RDA+ MB and for the past couple of months the CPU temp
    >has been going up. It used to be at 49 degrees regulare and idle use and
    >now has climed up to 54 and sometimes 62 degrees. Everytime I set the temp
    >monitor systems to a certain degree it will eventually exceed it and the
    >alarm goes off. I then change the CPU max temp up a couple of degrees and
    >later on the alarm goes off again, etc etc. I don't know but it seems the
    >more fans I add inside the hotter its been getting. hmmm.
    >
    >Hugh

    Try cleaning out your cpu heat sink. I noticed the same thing in my
    P4 (it went up about 15 degrees in the course of 2 months). I took
    off the heat sink fan and found a lot of dust crammed in the heat sink
    fins. I cleaned it out and to make sure this problem did not happen
    again, I replaced it with a new heat sink- a swiftech heat sink
    coupled with avariable speed fan (a thermal take 80mm smart fan II).

    check out the heat sink: http://www.swiftnets.com/ (they have both AMD
    and Intel versions)

    the fan: http://www.thermaltake.com/dcfans/smartfan/a1357.htm

    Since I have done this, I have yet to see the cpu go beyond
    52 degrees C (with an Intel 3.2 Ghz processor, this is almost unheard
    of), even when heavily taxed by a 3-d application. Most of the time,
    it sits idle at 42 degrees C. In fact, I have even noticed at times
    that the *ambient* system temperature was higher than the CPU
    temperature (by as much as 5 degrees). WOW !!! I had never seen this
    before !

    This was not a cheap cooler, but it was worth it. I can guarantee the
    next time I upgrade, I'll use a swiftech cooler.

    Hope this helps....

    Good Luck....

    RoeKing
    MCSE on Windows NT, MCSE on Windows 2000
    ROEKing, Jun 21, 2005