Essential security/utility software

Discussion in 'HP' started by Steve, Sep 4, 2003.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,

    My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
    on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
    of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
    ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
    necessaries:

    Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
    bloating things up

    Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable modem
    service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how to
    set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
    overly vunerable or overly restricted.

    Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
    especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it does.

    Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to find
    the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.

    If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
    favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
    this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.

    Thanks very much.

    Steve, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Steve

    David Guest

    Kill the Norton utilities it's more trouble than it's worth

    Adkiller/AdAware --- Yes

    NAV ---- yes

    Firewall -- Yes get a router with a firewall built in , much safer and
    uses next to no resources

    POP-up stopper , don't go on the hacker/pirate or porno sites and
    save some money

    David, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Adkiller: either Spybot or Adaware

    Antivirus - Nortons Antivirus, McAfee Antivirus plus free ones like AVG

    Firewall: Like David said, get a router that has a firewall built in.
    Safer and uses next to no resourses. If you don't want to get a firewall.
    ZoneAlarm is free and is very good.

    Pop: I use Mozilla Browser, it has a pop up blocker. So does the Slim
    Browser. I only use IE to do Windows Update.

    Dan Sgambelluri, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Steve

    PC Gladiator Guest

    PC Gladiator, Sep 4, 2003
  5. Dan Sgambelluri, Sep 4, 2003
  6. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

    little
    > on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

    thought
    > of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
    > ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
    > necessaries:
    >
    > Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
    > bloating things up
    >
    > Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

    modem
    > service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

    > set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
    > overly vunerable or overly restricted.
    >
    > Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
    > especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

    does.

    > Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to

    find
    > the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.
    >
    > If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
    > favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California)

    for
    > this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.
    >
    > Thanks very much.

    In addition to the items you mention I would consider a simple wired router,
    even if you will only have the one computer. I frequently see models like
    the Linksys BEFSR11 (
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=142 ) for
    less than $50.00. It provides an excellent additional layer of protection.

    I run my 4 PC LAN with a cable connection through a router and have not seen
    an incoming hit on any of the computers firewalls ever (3+years). Simply put
    from behind a router your computer(s) appear not to exist from the outside.

    In my opinion (others will disagree) in addition to the router it is prudent
    to continue to run a software firewall as well. While the router provides
    good incoming protection a software firewall will alert you to and protect
    you from "phone home" type malware (trojans, spyware, adware etc..) that
    might conceivably find their way into your system despite other measures.

    I use Norton Personal Firewall on two of my computers and Zonealarm's free
    version on the others. I find them both adequate.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Steve <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
    >on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
    >of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
    >ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
    >necessaries:

    >Anti-Virus
    >
    >Firewall
    >
    >Norton-like Utilities
    >
    >Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer

    >If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
    >favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
    >this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.

    I can agree with your list, save the lack of an anti-spyware program.
    However, what I like is not going to agree with what someone else
    likes. Only you know your own likes and dislikes for any of the
    things individual programs within your categories might or might not
    do. e.g., I like Norton, but can assure you that there are thousands
    out there that will disagree with me and thousands of other Norton
    users. Go to comp.security.firewalls and watch the wall-to-wall
    slamming and spirited defenses of every software firewall program
    mentioned.

    Go to the websites of the programs in your categories, see what they
    say they do, and compare with what other programs say they do. Find
    the best match for what you want to see, and go with it. Expect at
    least one disappointment with something you spent $$s on and will have
    to replace.

    OJ III

    Ogden Johnson III, Sep 4, 2003
  8. Steve

    RobeFortu1 Guest

    >Hi,

    >My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
    >on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
    >of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
    >ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
    >necessaries:
    >
    >Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
    >bloating things up
    >
    >Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable modem
    >service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how to
    >set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
    >overly vunerable or overly restricted.
    >
    >Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
    >especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it does.
    >
    >Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to
    >find
    >the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.
    >
    >If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
    >favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
    >this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.

    Norton SystemWorks 2003 includes Norton
    Anti-Virus, defragger, system doctor and can be gotten on eBAY for $5.00-$10.00
    The manual is on the CD.

    -Robert

    RobeFortu1, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Steve

    S.Lewis Guest

    "HillBillyBuddhist" <> wrote in
    message news:bj7unr$gd75v$-berlin.de...
    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

    > little
    > > on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

    > thought
    > > of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure

    the
    > > ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following

    are
    > > necessaries:
    > >
    > > Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
    > > bloating things up

    Computer Associates ETrust Anti-virus.

    > > Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

    > modem
    > > service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

    > > set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves

    you
    > > overly vunerable or overly restricted.

    A hardware firewall would be nice. At one time I was fond of Zone Alarm
    software firewall, but the newer versions seemed as much to intrusive and a
    hassle to use.

    > > Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
    > > especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

    > does.

    Bloatware.

    > > Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is

    > find
    > > the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.

    Pow! from analogX pop up stopper, and Lavasoft's AdAware for spyware/ad
    cleaning.

    <snip>

    A hardware router is a wonderful thing.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Sep 4, 2003
  10. Steve

    jmnugent Guest

    I have to agree with others about Norton for anti-virus. I've used it for
    years--and never had problems.
    Although I strongly suggest againest any of the Norton Utility packages
    (System Doctor,etc).
    They're all bloatware and (in my past experience) just mess thinks up more
    than they fix.
    Personally, I just use the Windows built in Defragger and Disk Cleanup.

    Ad-Aware is a great spyware/malware scanner.

    I also strongly agree with what others have said about a hardware firewall.
    I'm using a Linksys WRT54G (4port switch, firewall and wireless router)

    I'm also using BlackIce software firewall on my main box, mostly because as
    others have noted,
    the hardware firewall wont alert you if programs are making outgoing
    connections. A software firewall will do this...

    -jmnugent

    jmnugent, Sep 5, 2003
  11. "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

    little
    > on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

    thought
    > of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
    > ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
    > necessaries:
    >
    > Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
    > bloating things up

    I'd go for Norton or Trend's PC Cillin.

    > Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

    modem
    > service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

    > set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
    > overly vunerable or overly restricted.

    It depends on what you want to spend. Don't rely on the low-cost routers to
    have much of an effective firewall - though there are good hardware
    firewalls, they cost quite a bit more than a SOHO router - I'm referring to
    the Symantec SOHO Raptors, SonicWalls, WatchGuard, etc.
    appliances.

    Zone Alarm is as effective a software firewall as you'll find - you don't
    need it with one of the true hardware firewalls, but you do with a simple
    router-firewall.

    > Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
    > especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

    does.

    VCom/Ontrack's System Suite is less intrusive than Norton and its utilities
    just as useful.

    > Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to

    find
    > the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.

    AdSubtract works well; so does the new Google Toolbar (which is free and
    has search features).

    Edward J. Neth, Sep 5, 2003
  12. Steve

    HH Guest

    My LinkSys cable/DSL router + PC Cillin 2002 works fine for my home network.
    HH

    HH, Sep 5, 2003
  13. I would agree if you're using the firewall feature of PC Cillin 2002/3/4,
    but not if you're relying on the Linksys firewall - these are just not
    sufficiently secure. They'll block casual attacks, but they're not a
    serious level of protection.

    Edward J. Neth, Sep 5, 2003
  14. Steve

    louise Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Kill the Norton utilities it's more trouble than it's worth
    >
    > Adkiller/AdAware --- Yes
    >
    > NAV ---- yes
    >
    > Firewall -- Yes get a router with a firewall built in , much safer and
    > uses next to no resources
    >
    > POP-up stopper , don't go on the hacker/pirate or porno sites and
    > save some money
    >

    > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:14:08 -0700, Steve <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a little
    > >on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't thought
    > >of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
    > >ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
    > >necessaries:
    > >
    > >Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
    > >bloating things up
    > >
    > >Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable modem
    > >service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how to
    > >set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
    > >overly vunerable or overly restricted.
    > >
    > >Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
    > >especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it does.
    > >
    > >Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to find
    > >the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.
    > >
    > >If you can add/subtract from this list please feel free and if you have a
    > >favorite hunting ground (online or offline - I'm in southern California) for
    > >this type of software I'd be glad to hear about it.
    > >
    > >Thanks very much.

    I have had wonderful experiences with Norton Utilities for
    many years. Install it and then set ALL the options that
    run automatically to off.

    Then, when you want to defrag, just use the defrag.

    If windows starts acting wierd, as it inevitably does, go
    to Win Doctor and run it and let Norton fix everything, or
    at least anything you don't understand.

    Use Norton to scan your hard drive from time to time.

    But NEVER leave any of these processes running - use them
    only when you need them and you will be glad to have them.

    BTW, I use a Linksys router with NAT and I run Norton
    Internet Security - have a cable modem connection. It is
    extremely rare that anything pops up on NIS and you
    probably can do without a software firewall if you have a
    good router.

    Louise

    louise, Sep 5, 2003
  15. Steve

    HH Guest

    Haven't used the firewall in PC Cillin at all. Router only. No problems in 4
    years since I got the router.

    HH, Sep 5, 2003
  16. Steve

    donut Guest

    Steve <> wrote in

    > Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable
    > modem service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to
    > learn how to set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one
    > that leaves you overly vunerable or overly restricted.

    >ZoneAlarm is free and is very good.

    Zone Alarm is exactly the opposite of what he says he wants.

    Kerio is the one for you.

    donut, Sep 5, 2003
  17. Steve

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My new system will be arriving shortly and although this question is a

    little
    > on the generic side I'm sure some will have suggestions that I hadn't

    thought
    > of. Basically, I'm polling to see which softwares people use to secure the
    > ship and keep it running smoothly. So far, it seems that the following are
    > necessaries:
    >
    > Anti-Virus - seems like Norton's Corporate Edition does the job without
    > bloating things up

    Not sure why you want Corporate Edition. NAV 2003 or 2004 is fine. I've been
    using NAV 2002 and 2003 with no problems that I can detect.

    > Firewall - not sure which is best here (I'll be subscribing to a cable

    modem
    > service through Adelphia) although I would rather take time to learn how

    > set up a complex yet effective firewall than a simple one that leaves you
    > overly vunerable or overly restricted.

    If you have broadband (cable or DSL), you really want to have a hardware
    router. They all provide some kind of hardware firewall. However, many of us
    also install a software firewall for added protection. One nice thing is I
    get prompted when a program tries to access (or send from) my system. *I*
    decide whether it should or not. I found the Sygate firewall to be easy to
    install and use and doesn't seem to have a large footprint. They have a free
    one for personal use.

    > Norton Utilities - people seem to say it is good for tuning a system,
    > especially the defrager, but all the added thingies negate the good it

    does.

    From what I've seen, I'd stay away from that program. Many people swear by
    it, but the frequency of major problems that I've seen is just too high.

    > Pop-up Stopper and Ad-killer - lots of varieties. I guess the trick is to

    find
    > the ones that do the job yet don't plant their own scripts/bots.

    Absolutely. Spy and ad ware are major problems these days. I personally like
    Ad Aware, but I have no problems with the others being marketed. I've been
    using Popup Stopper from PanicWare and it seems to be very good.

    Hank Arnold, Sep 5, 2003
  18. Steve

    Leer Guest

    "donut" <> wrote in message
    > "HH" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Spybots Serarch and Destroy easily betters AdAware.

    > Wrong. You need both of them. Spyware and ad ware are 2 different things.

    donut,

    Please explain the differences between Spyware and ad ware you mentioned. I
    am interested in them and would like to know the differences before I choose
    one of them to download.

    Thank you in advance,

    Leer

    Leer, Sep 5, 2003