    modem click but - no dial tone. Someone indicated in an old thread
    that the line voltage might be low. Are there phone-line signal
    boosters? any other fixes? thanx Ъ×

    dax, May 6, 2004

  2. dax

    Pen Guest

    I spent a lot of years in the entertainment/news business and never
    saw such a booster. If in fact the line voltage is low the phone
    company has to fix it. Do all the phones work ok?

    Pen, May 6, 2004

  3. Dax:

    I suggest that you try to "talk to the modem" independent
    of the phone line connection. You can do this as follows from
    Win98:

    1) Click on Start/Programs/Accessories/Communicatoins and choose
    HyperTerminal.

    2) Double-click the HyperTerminal Icon

    3) For Name: on the New Connection screen enter: Test
    and then click OK

    4) On the next Connect To screen, set the Connect Using:
    to your modem name. E.g., Sportster Voice 33.6 Fax Modem.
    Erase the Area Code and set the phone number to the character: minus sign
    then click OK

    5) On the next screen click: Cancel

    6) When you see a blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner
    fo the HyperTerminal screen, type: AT and then press Enter
    If you see OK on the screen, you are successfully communicating
    with your modem. If not, then you may have an incorrect system
    setting or pin setting on the card.

    7) If you saw the OK, try issuing: ATDT phonenumber
    where phonenumber is the phone number as you would
    dial it from the handset. If there is call waiting on this line,
    this would cause major problems if you did not first cancel
    Call Waiting for this call: e.g., ATDT *70,,,phonenumber
    where ,,, are three commas for a three second pause.

    There are other trouble-shooting items you may wish to check at web page:
    http://ftp.cac.psu.edu/pub/access/win95/PennStateStuff/drop.txt

    Good luck with it.
    Skip Knoble, Penn State

    On 6 May 2004 06:06:56 -0700, (dax) wrote:

    -|...trying to set up an ancient NEC pc to dialup the net for a girl i
    -|like.
    -|... a 166Mhz P1 with 64mb RAM, WIN98.It has an ethernet 3 modem - is
    -|this for local networks or the internet too? alleged to be a
    -|33,something modem...
    -| AANNYYWAY this is an old farmhouse, old wiring... i can hear the
    -|modem click but - no dial tone. Someone indicated in an old thread
    -|that the line voltage might be low. Are there phone-line signal
    -|boosters? any other fixes? thanx Ъ×

    Herman D. (Skip) Knoble, Research Associate
    (a computing professional for 38 years)
    Email: SkipKnobleLESS at SPAMpsu dot edu
    Web: http://www.personal.psu.edu/hdk
    Penn State Information Technology Services
    Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
    Graduate Education and Research Services
    Penn State University
    214C Computer Building
    University Park, PA 16802-21013
    Phone:+1 814 865-0818 Fax:+1 814 863-7049

    Herman D. Knoble, May 6, 2004
  4. dax

    CJT Guest

    dax wrote:

    > ...trying to set up an ancient NEC pc to dialup the net for a girl i
    > like.
    > ... a 166Mhz P1 with 64mb RAM, WIN98.It has an ethernet 3 modem - is
    > this for local networks or the internet too? alleged to be a
    > 33,something modem...
    > AANNYYWAY this is an old farmhouse, old wiring... i can hear the
    > modem click but - no dial tone. Someone indicated in an old thread
    > that the line voltage might be low. Are there phone-line signal
    > boosters? any other fixes? thanx Ъ×

    How do you know there's no dial tone? Maybe the speaker's just off.

    CJT, May 6, 2004
  5. On 6 May 2004 06:06:56 -0700, (dax) wrote:

    >...trying to set up an ancient NEC pc to dialup the net for a girl i like.
    >... a 166Mhz P1 with 64mb RAM, WIN98.It has an ethernet 3 modem - is
    >this for local networks or the internet too? alleged to be a
    >33,something modem...
    > AANNYYWAY this is an old farmhouse, old wiring... i can hear the
    >modem click but - no dial tone. Someone indicated in an old thread
    >that the line voltage might be low. Are there phone-line signal
    >boosters? any other fixes? thanx Ъ×

    You've checked that the phone line uses digital dialing rather
    than the old style pulse dailing?
    If it's pulse you have to change the modem dailing command
    ATDT vs ATDP (without checking a modem manual)

    I assume it's a private telephone line rather than a party line (which
    used to be common in many rural areas).
    Party lines don't support modems.

    Dennis Mullin, May 6, 2004
  6. dax

    Ðª× Guest

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:11:47 GMT, (Dennis Mullin)
    wrote:

    >On 6 May 2004 06:06:56 -0700, (dax) wrote:
    >
    >>...trying to set up an ancient NEC pc to dialup the net for a girl i like.
    >>... a 166Mhz P1 with 64mb RAM, WIN98.It has an ethernet 3 modem - is
    >>this for local networks or the internet too? alleged to be a
    >>33,something modem...
    >> AANNYYWAY this is an old farmhouse, old wiring... i can hear the
    >>modem click but - no dial tone. Someone indicated in an old thread
    >>that the line voltage might be low. Are there phone-line signal
    >>boosters? any other fixes? thanx Ъ×

    >You've checked that the phone line uses digital dialing rather
    >than the old style pulse dailing?
    >If it's pulse you have to change the modem dailing command
    >ATDT vs ATDP (without checking a modem manual)
    >
    >I assume it's a private telephone line rather than a party line (which
    >used to be common in many rural areas).
    >Party lines don't support modems.

    it is digidialing, and there is an error message that sez the modem
    can't hear a dial tone. This 'speaking to the modem' looks useful.
    One thing i did not try - there is a 'don't wait for dial tone'
    option... the idea is that maybe on a country line and with a long
    (60') cable twixt pc and bellbox, maybe there wasn't enuff oomph
    coming up the line to wake up the modem.
    Thanks. I'm gonna try tomorrow and will follow up here. - Ъ×

    Ъ×, May 7, 2004
  7. dax

    wrote:

    >On 6 May 2004 06:06:56 -0700, (dax) wrote:
    >
    >>...trying to set up an ancient NEC pc to dialup the net for a girl i like.
    >>... a 166Mhz P1 with 64mb RAM, WIN98.It has an ethernet 3 modem - is
    >>this for local networks or the internet too? alleged to be a
    >>33,something modem...
    >> AANNYYWAY this is an old farmhouse, old wiring... i can hear the
    >>modem click but - no dial tone. Someone indicated in an old thread
    >>that the line voltage might be low. Are there phone-line signal
    >>boosters? any other fixes? thanx Ъ×

    >You've checked that the phone line uses digital dialing rather
    >than the old style pulse dailing?
    >If it's pulse you have to change the modem dailing command
    >ATDT vs ATDP (without checking a modem manual)
    >
    >I assume it's a private telephone line rather than a party line (which
    >used to be common in many rural areas).
    >Party lines don't support modems.

    i was actually on a party line HERE when i first went online -
    absolutely forbidden but it does work... I used to surf late at
    night... finally they gave me a line - Ð

    Ъ×, May 7, 2004