    James
    http://www.ehostdirect.com
    Reliable web hosting from $12/year.

    Slor, Aug 9, 2011

  2. Slor

    Miod Vallat Guest

    > I have a Tadpole SparcBook 3 that I would like to revive, and it appears I
    > don't have a transceiver that will work for it. I don't know the technical
    > specifications for the interface that it has onboard, but it's basically 2
    > densely-packed connection squares where the network icon is printed. If
    > someone can tell me what I need to get to hook this up to a modern RJ45-
    > based network, or even if someone has the part I need, I'd be grateful for
    > the help. If need be, I can take a picture of the back of the book to show
    > the exact connector it uses.

    The cable you need is the same used to connect to the mini-aui connector
    found on SPARCstation 5 and 20. I think the Sun partnumber for it was
    530-1812, but I am not 100% sure (and I gave my last one to a fellow
    SPARCbook user earlier this year...)

    Miod Vallat, Aug 9, 2011

  3. Slor <> writes:
    >I have a Tadpole SparcBook 3 that I would like to revive, and it appears I
    >don't have a transceiver that will work for it. I don't know the technical
    >specifications for the interface that it has onboard, but it's basically 2
    >densely-packed connection squares where the network icon is printed. If
    >someone can tell me what I need to get to hook this up to a modern RJ45-
    >based network, or even if someone has the part I need, I'd be grateful for
    >the help. If need be, I can take a picture of the back of the book to show
    >the exact connector it uses.

    It was a fairly standard Sun part..
    (But the SCSI connectors on those things certainly weren't).

    http://www.unixhub.com/SB-FAQ.html

    6b. Where can I buy the MINI-26 to AUI cable?

    NOTE: You will still need a transceiver to use with the cable. A
    10baseT transceiver should not cost more than $20.00 USD. However, I
    think that the Tadpole cable has a 10baseT transceiver built into it.

    Tadpole
    P/N 908030
    $75.00

    Ultraspec Cables, Inc. 40 Riordan Place Shrewsbury, NJ 07702-4305
    USA
    Tel: 800-222-5337 (USA only) Tel: (732)-450-1900
    www.ultraspec.com
    Slimline D26M to D15 (AUI Only) AUI Cables for SPARCstation
    Models 4, 5, 10 & 20, SPARCclassic & LX Ethernet port adaptor
    Cable (#2610) - 1 foot
    $52.00

    A-1 Net Inc. 135 Commerce Way Walnut, CA 91789 USA
    Tel: (909)595-0450 FAX: (909)594-7617
    Sun Micro SPARC 10 / AUI SUN-615F 6' HDB26M to AUI DB15F
    $18.00 (However this one has not yet been tried.)

    The SUN part number is X981A.

    Maybe Ultraspec can dig up one out of some warehouse
    someplace. Prepare to pay over $100 for it though.

    I did get a hit on the Sun X981A at http://www.memoryX.net/ which I've
    bought lots of Sun memory and such at over many many years. While the
    page doesn't list a price or stock levels (and may be left over
    cruft), it would be worth asking them as well.

    After you get the AUI, you'll need an AUI to 10-Base-T transceiver,
    which are probably a dime a dozen if you can find anybody listing them
    still. (well, since they are "rare" I suppose they'll get $20 for them now).

    Doug McIntyre, Aug 9, 2011
  4. Slor

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2011-08-09, Slor <> wrote:
    > I have a Tadpole SparcBook 3 that I would like to revive, and it appears I
    > don't have a transceiver that will work for it. I don't know the technical
    > specifications for the interface that it has onboard, but it's basically 2
    > densely-packed connection squares where the network icon is printed. If
    > someone can tell me what I need to get to hook this up to a modern RJ45-
    > based network, or even if someone has the part I need, I'd be grateful for
    > the help. If need be, I can take a picture of the back of the book to show
    > the exact connector it uses.

    I was working with one for a while, and I found that those grod
    connectors were the same as used on some early Mac laptops. I was able
    to find the ones needed for the adaptor to SCSI from the local
    MicroCenter -- just as they were closing out their stocks of those
    connectors (about three or four years back, I think). I thought that
    the second of those connectors was used for an interface to the printer,
    and the actual ethernet connector was the common AUI connector (DA-15 --
    which a lot of people mis-call DB-15). So -- for that, you need a
    transceiver to the network format which you want to use. Probably a
    10BaseT would be the one to use these days.

    You might want to visit this site for useful information:

    <http://www.unixhub.com/SB-FAQ.html>

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Remove oil spill source from e-mail
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

    DoN. Nichols, Aug 10, 2011