Excessive CPU Usage

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Al Pal, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Al Pal

    Al Pal Guest

    Howdy,
    I have a stand alone box with my DVD burner in it
    Gigabyte 7VRX M\B
    Xp1800 CPU
    Runs XP Pro
    No network card or internet connection
    I just use it for burning Dvd's
    Problem is that the cpu usage with no programs running is quite often
    running at 60 -79%
    I've done a clean install of windows no change, I've tried shutting down
    most back ground programs that are running.
    Does any one have any ideas

    Thanks in advance

    1. Advertising

  2. Ben Pope

    Ben Pope Guest

    Al Pal wrote:
    > Howdy,
    > I have a stand alone box with my DVD burner in it
    > Gigabyte 7VRX M\B
    > Xp1800 CPU
    > Runs XP Pro
    > No network card or internet connection
    > I just use it for burning Dvd's
    > Problem is that the cpu usage with no programs running is quite often
    > running at 60 -79%
    > I've done a clean install of windows no change, I've tried shutting down
    > most back ground programs that are running.
    > Does any one have any ideas

    How is the CPU usage 60-80% with no programs running? SOMETHING must be
    taking up the CPU time.

    Fire up task manager, click on Processes and then click on CPU to order the
    list by CPU usage. That should throw some light on it.

    Ben