    snowleopar
    snowleopard's Profile: http://unixadmintalk.com/3
    View this thread: http://unixadmintalk.com/showthread.php?t=24936
    snowleopard, Nov 13, 2006

  2. snowleopard

    Trinean Guest

    > Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
    > Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Part Numbers for the Expert3D: X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987.

    Does the E250 even have the right kind of slot to plug in an Expert3D card?
    The E450 does, but it looks like the E250 may only take PCI cards.

    Trinean
    Trinean, Nov 13, 2006

  3. snowleopard

    Rich Teer Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, snowleopard wrote:

    > Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
    > Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
    > Thanks.

    Not sure. I'm also not sure why anyone would want to use something
    as noisy as an E250 as a deskside machine!

    --
    Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA, OpenSolaris CAB member

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
  4. snowleopard

    snowleopard Guest

    Primarily I use it as a Server, but on occassion I run some EDA/CA
    stuff on it and having a decent frame buffer helps. The E250 is base
    on the same system board as the U60 and shares some similarities wit
    the E450. That being the case many parts are interchangable (though no
    all defined in the individual system parts matrix). The Expert3
    (X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987) is PCI based and is a valid PN for th
    U60, so I'm interested in knowing if anyone has used this card in a
    E250. Thanks again for the input

    snowleopard, Nov 14, 2006
  5. Hi,

    Trinean wrote:
    >>Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
    >>Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>Part Numbers for the Expert3D: X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987.

    > Does the E250 even have the right kind of slot to plug in an Expert3D card?
    > The E450 does, but it looks like the E250 may only take PCI cards.
    >
    > Trinean

    Only PCI slots.

    /michael
    Michael Laajanen, Nov 14, 2006
  6. Hi,

    Rich Teer wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, snowleopard wrote:
    >

    >>Has anyone tried a Sun Expert3D 24-Bit Color Frame Buffer in a Sun E250
    >>Server, I'm looking to replace the PGX64 with something better.
    >>Thanks.

    > Not sure. I'm also not sure why anyone would want to use something
    > as noisy as an E250 as a deskside machine!

    E250 is not that noisy, a 2500 WS is not better more like worse.

    Myself can't understand why someone would like a full blown computer on
    the desk at all!

    SunRays, ahh :)

    /michael
    Michael Laajanen, Nov 14, 2006
  7. Hi,

    snowleopard wrote:
    > Primarily I use it as a Server, but on occassion I run some EDA/CAD
    > stuff on it and having a decent frame buffer helps. The E250 is based
    > on the same system board as the U60 and shares some similarities with
    > the E450. That being the case many parts are interchangable (though not
    > all defined in the individual system parts matrix). The Expert3D
    > (X3678A, 595-5239, 370-3987) is PCI based and is a valid PN for the
    > U60, so I'm interested in knowing if anyone has used this card in an
    > E250. Thanks again for the input.

    Without tested that combination of boards I find it hard to belive that
    Solaris would exclude a specific framebuffer.

    I could imagine that it would not(but I do think it works) work in
    openboot, but that should not be a issue once Solaris is loaded and
    running.

    For EDA a XVR-100 or 500 would work fine to, if not better but not as
    good as a SunRay I would think, I use SunRays for EDA 100% and only in
    large waveforms it slows down.

    /michael
    Michael Laajanen, Nov 15, 2006