    Or can i install my friends vista home version and use this serial
    number

    thanks for any help
    drksage01, Jun 10, 2007

  2. drksage01

    Ben Myers Guest

    I have know experience with Gateway "upgrade" versions. What you received
    could be generic or it could also be somehow keyed to a Gateway BIOS. You won't
    know until you try. But why would you want to mess up a perfectly good
    computer?

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 10, 2007

  3. drksage01

    Ikaros Guest

    On Jun 9, 11:56 pm, drksage01 <>
    wrote:
    > Or can i install my friends vista home version and use this serial
    > number

    You definately cannot do that. Microsoft will detect that serial
    number is already registered when your friend (or his vendor)
    activated the product. You won't be able to activate Windows on your
    PC with his serialized copy after a short period of time, but it won't
    let you because it was already activated before. You then won't be
    able to do any function at all in Windows except the activation
    program but you will be blocked since its already registered from your
    friends computer.
    Ikaros, Jun 10, 2007
  4. drksage01

    drksage01 Guest

    oh no, it hasnt been activated at all. I have it sitting right here. I
    havnt gotten a response yet from gateway, but it says express upgrade to
    home basic on it. So i just wanna know if i can use it on any computer.
    Theres a sept cd with drivers from gateway/emachines, lol

    Id love to upgrade to vista
    drksage01, Jun 10, 2007
  5. drksage01 has brought this to us :

    > Id love to upgrade to vista

    * * *
    drksage01,

    Why ruin a computer?

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, Jun 11, 2007
  6. drksage01

    Tom from WI Guest

    I guess you are still happy with DOS on your Apple II+?
    Tom

    Tom from WI, Jun 12, 2007
  7. drksage01

    Ben Myers Guest

    Really, though, why ruin a good computer? Especially upgrading to Vista over
    whatever is currently installed. Despite Micro$oft hype about the WOW! of
    Vista, there are plenty of pitfalls in an upgrade. No matter what, I would
    proceed carefully... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 12, 2007
  8. On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:54:38 +0000, Tom from WI wrote:

    > I guess you are still happy with DOS on your Apple II+? Tom
    >

    > "Postman Delivers" <> wrote in message
    >> drksage01 has brought this to us :
    >>
    >>> Id love to upgrade to vista

    >> * * *
    >> drksage01,
    >>
    >> Why ruin a computer?
    >>
    >> JR the postman

    * * *

    Tom I guess you have not read what Vista does with premium content, or
    what the HDMI and Blue Ray standards will do to the average user.

    Vista's content protection mechanism only allows protected content to be
    sent over interfaces that also have content-protection facilities built
    in. Currently the most common high-end audio output interface is S-PDIF
    (Sony/Philips Digital Interface Format). Most newer audio cards, for
    example, feature TOSlink digital optical output for high-quality sound
    reproduction, and even the latest crop of motherboards with integrated
    audio provide at least coax (and often optical) digital output.

    Since S-PDIF doesn't provide any content protection, Vista requires that
    it be disabled when playing protected content. In other words if you have
    sunk a pile of money into a high-end audio setup fed from an S-PDIF
    digital output, you will not be able to use it with protected content.
    Instead of hearing premium high-definition audio, you get treated to
    premium high-definition silence.

    Say you've purchased Pink Floyd's (The Dark Side of the Moon),
    released as a Super Audio CD (SACD) in its 30th anniversary edition in
    2003, and you want to play it under Vista (I'm just using SACD as a
    representative example of protected audio content because it's a
    well-known technology, in practice Sony has refused to license it for
    playback on PCs). Since the S-PDIF link to your amplifier-speakers is
    regarded as insecure for playing the SA content, Vista would disable it,
    and you'd end up hearing a performance by Marcel Marceau instead of Pink
    Floyd.

    My XP set-up and several Linux instalations are performing well, without
    Vista. However I do have a vista install that i use most every week. Tis
    a new computer, that came with Vista basic. Was less than $250 including
    the states 7.5 sales tax in my local brick and mortar computer store.

    On the brighter side of things my Gateway Pentium 11 is working better
    than when it was delivered with win98 installed. Tom, it is not running an
    apple system inside of the Linux distro as you might think, remember this
    is a pent 11, and does not quite have that type of performance. But linux
    has given this solid computer a new lease on life, not in the fast lane
    but tis a solid performer used every day...

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, Jun 12, 2007
  9. drksage01

    Tom from WI Guest

    Quite a response! You clearly have a more complicated system than I have
    (and you clearly know more acronyms).

    I suspect that the original poster (drksage01) and I are far away from the
    needs you have. I have read some about the problems with Vista for high end
    users, but for most of us, I believe Vista is working just fine. There are
    some annoyances even for us "plain" users, but I suspect we have forgotten
    the annoyances we had upgrading to Win95, then WIn98, then (for some) WinME,
    then WinXP, then WinXP SP2. Every change has caused problems, but we all got
    over them. I don't believe that upgrading to Vista, for most of us, is
    "ruining" the computer.

    Tom from WI, Jun 12, 2007
  10. drksage01

    drksage01 Guest

    somehow i think we lost sight of the original question that no ones
    answered, lol.

    I wanted to know if i can use the express upgrade on any desktop
    computer or is it specf for gateway/emachines. Thers nothing on it that
    says it is, just says express upgrade to home basic. So can i install
    this ONCE on any of my computers or does it have to be a
    gateway/emachine.
    It has not been activated and all the gateway/emachine drivers come on
    a sept disc

    thanks
    drksage01, Jun 12, 2007
  11. drksage01

    Ben Myers Guest

    Unless someone else has tried doing what you want to do, only Gateway and
    Micro$oft know for sure if the content of the Vista upgrade is keyed to a
    Gate-machines BIOS. All you can do is try it and see... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 12, 2007
  12. On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:51:16 -0700, Tom from WI wrote:

    > Quite a response! You clearly have a more complicated system than I have
    > (and you clearly know more acronyms).
    >
    > I suspect that the original poster (drksage01) and I are far away from
    > the needs you have. I have read some about the problems with Vista for
    > high end users, but for most of us, I believe Vista is working just
    > fine. There are some annoyances even for us "plain" users, but I suspect
    > we have forgotten the annoyances we had upgrading to Win95, then WIn98,
    > then (for some) WinME, then WinXP, then WinXP SP2. Every change has
    > caused problems, but we all got over them. I don't believe that
    > upgrading to Vista, for most of us, is "ruining" the computer. Tom
    >
    > "Postman Delivers" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:54:38 +0000, Tom from WI wrote:
    >>
    >>> I guess you are still happy with DOS on your Apple II+? Tom
    >>>

    >>> "Postman Delivers" <> wrote in message

    >> * * *
    >>
    >> Tom I guess you have not read what Vista does with premium content, or
    >> what the HDMI and Blue Ray standards will do to the average user.

    * * *
    Tom,

    Vista, HDMI, and Blue Ray standards all are designed to degrade quality or
    block any commercial DVD or CD if it perceives that you are not using the
    original media, or if the hardware in your computer is not designed to
    block content. The key to this is older hardware was not designed to
    block content, so expect degradation of sound and video quality with
    original media unless your system is very up-to date when running Vista.

    What that means is it will effect everyone using Vista, HDMI, or Blue Ray.
    Yes, ATI, Nvida and AMD are also kneeling to the Gods of music and Movies,
    AMD has publicly admitted they are going to implement the protection
    system. Vista is/was designed to revoke compatibility with hardware that
    has been modified, or does not pass the hardware standards testing.

    OK, I agree that the new Vista, Nvida and ATI copy protection developed by
    Intel has already been cracked, and it has been shown that the content
    can be distributed via mIRC the day it is released, but why run an
    operating system that degrades your computers compatibility. I do not
    understand why people are not angry and demonstrating that anger with
    their pocketbook.

    Just because the users has an older video card, that they can not afford
    to exchange for the smoking hot new model, with the approved content
    blocking, they are going to suffer.

    Tom it is only the average users that are going to suffer, and accept the
    higher prices for hardware and pay to have the convoluted driver set fixed
    or installed because your computer is not working. For years we have been
    evolving towards similar driver sets, now because of the content blocking
    requirements for hardware, the drivers sets are going to be very different
    again, every 3 or 4 months.

    The point the majors are missing is that heavy DRM is adding to the
    problem. If customers can not use the media they buy in ways they consider
    to be fair it is a major problem. Not to mention all the craziness in
    HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, CableCard and Windows Vista, they will opt for non-DRM
    media. And the main source for that today is unfortunately P2P.

    That is only one reason why I question why anyone would ruin a good
    computer by installing Vista. When the crackers, and other experimenters
    find ways to circumvent this situation, or pressure is applied to the
    hardware manufactures upgrading to Vista is going to take a larger part of
    your pocketbook.

    MY 2 cents for today...

    JR the postman
    Postman Delivers, Jun 12, 2007
  13. drksage01

    drksage01 Guest

    postman, i dont care. Stop posting in here. Im here to find out info,
    not here for you to rant about yoru views on vista. So shut it, go spam
    another board
    drksage01, Jun 13, 2007
  14. Take a break will you, The Postman is passing on some very well thought
    about problems for anyone who may be thinking about installing Vista and or
    buying a new computer. I provides answers as to the low display quality to
    be realized with all the new rights protection "advances".

    Tom Clydesdale, Jun 13, 2007