External Drives Connected Internally

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nullcode, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Nullcode

    Nullcode Guest

    Im looking to build my own external dvd drive enclosure using Internal
    Drives.

    I already have more than enough drives, so I dont really want to buy an
    external drive. What I want to do convert the molex and ide to connect
    into the back of the base system via USB, Im happy to have some mod to
    convert the molex to the mains AC. Ive seen IDE->USB adapters which look
    ideal, but they are a little big and expensive. The power cabling is the
    most troubling part as I dont really know where to start, what would be
    the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
    and resources would be greatfully recieved.

    Thanks

    --
    Nullcode
    "Suffering is a result of desire"

    1. Advertising

  2. Jan Alter

    Jan Alter Guest

    I guess it's a commendable idea but there are already so many external drive
    enclosures out there that it's like reinventing the wheel. Before you
    continue your quest why don't you check newegg.com out. They've got at least
    50 drive enclosure cases and many will take either a hard drive or
    CD-ROM/DVD player or burner. I've had good luck with the Bytec that listed
    below for less than $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145342

    --
    Jan Alter

    or
    12.pa.us
    "Nullcode" <dev@null> wrote in message
    > Im looking to build my own external dvd drive enclosure using Internal
    > Drives.
    >
    > I already have more than enough drives, so I dont really want to buy an
    > external drive. What I want to do convert the molex and ide to connect
    > into the back of the base system via USB, Im happy to have some mod to
    > convert the molex to the mains AC. Ive seen IDE->USB adapters which look
    > ideal, but they are a little big and expensive. The power cabling is the
    > most troubling part as I dont really know where to start, what would be
    > the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
    > and resources would be greatfully recieved.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > --
    > Nullcode
    > "Suffering is a result of desire"
    > bnVsbGNvZGVAbnVsbGNvZGUuY29t
    > www.hidemyemail.net

    1. Advertising

  3. kony

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:26:04 +0100, Nullcode <dev@null>
    wrote:

    >Im looking to build my own external dvd drive enclosure using Internal
    >Drives.
    >
    >I already have more than enough drives, so I dont really want to buy an
    >external drive. What I want to do convert the molex and ide to connect
    >into the back of the base system via USB, Im happy to have some mod to
    >convert the molex to the mains AC.

    Frankly, "do some mod to convert" makes me wonder if you'd
    end up electrocuting yourself. The solution is not a mod to
    power it from AC, it is a complete switching power supply.
    There are other ways, not as optimal, efficient, or tidy.

    >Ive seen IDE->USB adapters which look
    >ideal, but they are a little big and expensive.

    Big? It's an adapter, a circuit not just a pin converter so
    it can only get so small. You make no reference to specific
    products though so there is no frame of reference for how
    big, "big" is.

    >The power cabling is the
    >most troubling part as I dont really know where to start, what would be
    >the best way to achieve this and what parts would I be looking for. Help
    >and resources would be greatfully recieved.
    >
    >Thanks

    Either get an extension cable to take the computer power
    over to the enclosure or buy an adapter that comes with a
    small power supply. For example,
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=USB2IDE-N&cat=CBL

    However, if your system supports SATA, you might be better
    off getting an SATA to IDE adapter (since the drive is
    presumably IDE, PATA) as it will be significantly faster
    than USB2 and less system overhead.

  4. Nullcode

    Nullcode Guest

    Jan Alter wrote:

    > I guess it's a commendable idea but there are already so many external drive
    > enclosures out there that it's like reinventing the wheel. Before you
    > continue your quest why don't you check newegg.com out. They've got at least
    > 50 drive enclosure cases and many will take either a hard drive or
    > CD-ROM/DVD player or burner. I've had good luck with the Bytec that listed
    > below for less than $40
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145342

    The reason I ask is that Im building the whole case from scratch and Ill
    be constructing the enclosures to match. I did consider buying an
    enclosure and taking out the circuitry, but it would be an expensive way
    to do it.