    management settings such that the machine never turns off. So, any
    idea how to close the lid and keep the external display on?

    , Mar 28, 2006

  2. Larry Guest

    Power management options. Set the action to perform when the lid is closed
    as required.

    -Larry

    Larry, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Guest

    I have the options to "Do nothing," "Stand by," and "Hibernate."
    Currently I have "Do nothing."

    Any other ideas?

    , Mar 28, 2006
  4. John Doue Guest

    wrote:
    > Running WinXP Pro SP2 on a T40. I have my external display set up just
    > like I want it, with the Thinkpad LCD off. The only thing is I have to
    > keep the lid of the laptop open so that the external monitor stays on.
    > Whenever I close the lid, the external monitor goes out. I'd like to
    > be able to close the lid. I don't think it matters, but I've got power
    > management settings such that the machine never turns off. So, any
    > idea how to close the lid and keep the external display on?

    May be against the conventional thinking of ThinkPad owners, I
    personally would not close the lid on a working laptop for fear of heat
    build-up. Remember, the display is not the component which generate
    heats ... I have had this debate already with a Thinkpad owner, but I am
    against taking chances. Buy a laptop if you want to mimick one!

    --
    John Doue

    John Doue, Mar 28, 2006
  5. Josh Guest

    John, this is certainly an option but I don't see any reason why
    closing the lid would cause a heat problem. I'm willing to take my
    chances... :)

    Any other ideas?

    Josh, Mar 28, 2006
  6. Larry Guest

    That should be the one!

    -Larry

    Larry, Mar 28, 2006
  7. Josh Guest

    Ok Larry, thanks for the suggestion, but I think you might be
    misunderstanding. I'm saying that I *already have* that option set.
    These options control whether your computer goes in sleep or hibernate
    mode when you close the lid. The computer does not go in sleep or
    hibernate mode, it's ONLY that the monitor turns off. Please reread my
    original post.

    Josh, Mar 28, 2006
  8. Josh Guest

    Problem solved. The problem is that the monitor blacks out when the
    lid is partially closed, and then when it's closed completely it comes
    back on. So there was a few seconds of delay and I just had to wait it
    out. Thanks for the suggestions, and I apologize for such a dumb
    mistake on my part!! :-/

    Josh, Mar 28, 2006
  9. Larry Guest

    No, I understood fully :)

    I'm just saying that _should_ be the one that takes care of it.

    I know it works if you are in a docking station or Port Replicator. I have
    thousands of users doing just that.

    -Larry

    Larry, Mar 28, 2006