External screen resolutions with a R50p

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Thomas Luzat, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. Thomas Luzat

    Thomas Luzat Guest

    Hi,

    quite similar to Rainer R. Friedrichs post about X31 and X41:

    What external resolutions are supported through the VGA port of a R50p
    or more specifically: Can I attach an external 1920x1200 LCD display and
    use it at full resolution? I wouldn't mind switching of the notebook's
    display itself while doing that. Unfortunately I couldn't find any
    information on the net so far and don't have a display to test with yet.

    Thanks!

    Cheers,

    Thomas Luzat

    --
    PGP: 0xBACEB25A, F359 C1B4 A8B7 4C9E E379 B9C9 0213 1A27 BACE B25A

    1. Advertising

  2. "Thomas Luzat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > quite similar to Rainer R. Friedrichs post about X31 and X41:
    >
    > What external resolutions are supported through the VGA port of a R50p
    > or more specifically: Can I attach an external 1920x1200 LCD display and
    > use it at full resolution? I wouldn't mind switching of the notebook's
    > display itself while doing that. Unfortunately I couldn't find any
    > information on the net so far and don't have a display to test with yet.
    >
    > Thanks!

    I think this depends on the display. The R50p will probably tell you that
    it's detected new hardware, and you'll have to supply it with a driver if it
    can't find the driver for it. Then, its settings will be available to you.
    That's what I found when I used my R51 as a desktop for a while.
    Fortunately, XP had a driver for my Samsung 193v, so I didn't have to go
    looking for a driver. I just set it the way I wanted it, and forgot about
    it.

    HTH.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

    1. Advertising

  3. Thomas Luzat

    Thomas Luzat Guest

    > I think this depends on the display. The R50p will probably tell you that
    > it's detected new hardware, and you'll have to supply it with a driver if it
    > can't find the driver for it. Then, its settings will be available to you.
    > That's what I found when I used my R51 as a desktop for a while.
    > Fortunately, XP had a driver for my Samsung 193v, so I didn't have to go
    > looking for a driver. I just set it the way I wanted it, and forgot about
    > it.

    Thanks. My main concern was that a wide-screen resolution or a
    resolution as high as 1920x1200 might not work well. But given that 60
    Hz are fine, it works with my 2048x1536 CRT and I had the chance to test
    on a 1680x1050 TFT I figure that it'll work. New TFT already ordered... :)

    Cheers

    Thomas

    --

  4. "Thomas Luzat" <> wrote in message
    > > I think this depends on the display. The R50p will probably tell you

    that
    > > it's detected new hardware, and you'll have to supply it with a driver

    if it
    > > can't find the driver for it. Then, its settings will be available to

    you.
    > > That's what I found when I used my R51 as a desktop for a while.
    > > Fortunately, XP had a driver for my Samsung 193v, so I didn't have to go
    > > looking for a driver. I just set it the way I wanted it, and forgot

    about
    > > it.

    > Thanks. My main concern was that a wide-screen resolution or a
    > resolution as high as 1920x1200 might not work well. But given that 60
    > Hz are fine, it works with my 2048x1536 CRT and I had the chance to test
    > on a 1680x1050 TFT I figure that it'll work. New TFT already ordered...

    :)

    Not sure about the odd resolutions. You might have to check with Intel, or
    whoever provided your video chipset (it's Intel for the R51 2888-GRU,
    anyway), but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Back in the late '90s, when
    I was playing with RedHat Linux 5.2 Deluxe, I was able to do some strange
    things with the video clock frequency and different resolutions. That was
    on a cheap video card based on the Tseng Labs ET-4000 chipset. So, I think
    it *should* work.