    Please suggest ways to determine if mobo is dead, and I must rebuild, or
    some other cause why no POST.

    Suggestions will be much appreciated.
    RobF, Mar 12, 2007

  2. RobF

    JAD Guest

    trade out video card...OB graphics?
    reseat all expansions cards
    any beeps?

    JAD, Mar 12, 2007

  3. RobF

    dave Guest

    Try another PSU.

    DaveL

    dave, Mar 12, 2007
  4. RobF

    RobF Guest

    RobF, Mar 12, 2007
  5. RobF

    JAD Guest

    "RobF" <> wrote in message news:XgiJh.2928$...
    > Thanks, JAD. " Trade out" means remove from sys props, remove from puter,
    > install my one old, old backup?

    see below

    > "OB" graphics means...?

    on board or integrated onto the mainboard (you don't i checked)

    > I'll reseat expansion cards.
    > Video not very old - 5 years, no signs of imminent failing before
    > disaster.

    so you have an expansion card for video

    try a PCI vid card if you can

    > Beeps: After the change/change back jumper at J2, HDD failed to power, then

    This could be a symptom of bad caps and /or Power supply

    > on third try powered and there might have been a ghost of the case speaker's
    > beep - too faint to be sure. Nothing followed.

    Your board is from an era where the mainboards were dying from bad capacitors
    check for bulging tops or leaking from the capacitors> (silos -cylinders) coming up from
    the board

    JAD, Mar 12, 2007
  6. RobF

    RobF Guest

    I had it tested, Dave. It is alive.

    Rob

    RobF, Mar 13, 2007
  7. RobF

    RobF Guest

    JAD, the capacitors, cylinders projecting up from the board, do not look
    damaged.. I have a pci slot for a vid card. Before that, I'll try something
    else and report back. Since now that the HDD no longer powers up, I'm
    guessing that replacing the agp with a pci card might not effect the desired
    POST.

    Your observations are excellent and I appreciate the help from you and from
    Dave.

    Rob

    RobF, Mar 13, 2007
  8. RobF

    RobF Guest

    The something else (mentioned immediately above) didn't work.
    To try to make my previous post somewhat clearer, no power is getting to the
    busses; no card would activate.
    Part of the something else was that I found I had, unaccountably, stupidly,
    changed/rechanged jumpers on j3, not j1, as I'd thought i was doing.
    Whatever j3 is, did I make further probs for the puter by that misstep?

    Becoming more certain i must to the stores go for components, and rebuild.

    Rob

    RobF, Mar 13, 2007
  9. RobF

    dave Guest

    "RobF" <> wrote in message
    > The something else (mentioned immediately above) didn't work.
    > To try to make my previous post somewhat clearer, no power is getting to
    > the
    > busses; no card would activate.
    > Part of the something else was that I found I had, unaccountably,
    > stupidly,
    > changed/rechanged jumpers on j3, not j1, as I'd thought i was doing.
    > Whatever j3 is, did I make further probs for the puter by that misstep?
    >
    > Becoming more certain i must to the stores go for components, and rebuild.
    >
    > Rob

    Not so fast, Rob. Try this.

    Put the jumpers back the way they originally were. Disconnect all drives.
    Remove all expansion boards except the video card. Then power it up and see
    if you get anything.

    DaveL
    dave, Mar 13, 2007
  10. RobF

    RobF Guest

    Thanks for your continued attention and advice, Dave. I'll do that right now
    & report back.

    RobF, Mar 14, 2007
  11. RobF

    RobF Guest

    Pardon the top post, Dave, I have to start right in:
    After removing all cards except video, un-powering and de-ribboning *all*
    drives and floppy, the cpu fan operated.
    Again, monitor active: "keyboard error" - "BIOS ROM checksum error"
    "Detecting floppy drive" (not installed).

    Added PCI/IDE card, connected main drive and floppy:
    "primary master - none
    secondary master - CD/RW"
    the BIOS was accessible.

    The boot up sequence continued up to "Updating ESCD"
    couldn't restart with either CAD or restart button.

    I am at complete loss to interpret this. BIOS appears, is accessed, cpu
    active, but no joy.

    I'd much appreciate your observations at this point. Power supply, I didn't
    mention before, is 300 Watts.

    RobF

    RobF, Mar 14, 2007
  12. RobF

    JAD Guest

    "RobF" <> wrote in message news:9lYJh.19$...
    > Pardon the top post, Dave, I have to start right in:
    > After removing all cards except video, un-powering and de-ribboning *all*
    > drives and floppy, the cpu fan operated.
    > Again, monitor active: "keyboard error" - "BIOS ROM checksum error"

    this is after a cmos clear or ALL the time?
    all the time? your cmos battery is dead

    JAD, Mar 14, 2007
  13. RobF

    Paul Guest

    RobF wrote:
    > Pardon the top post, Dave, I have to start right in:
    > After removing all cards except video, un-powering and de-ribboning *all*
    > drives and floppy, the cpu fan operated.
    > Again, monitor active: "keyboard error" - "BIOS ROM checksum error"
    > "Detecting floppy drive" (not installed).
    >
    > Added PCI/IDE card, connected main drive and floppy:
    > "primary master - none
    > secondary master - CD/RW"
    > the BIOS was accessible.
    >
    > The boot up sequence continued up to "Updating ESCD"
    > couldn't restart with either CAD or restart button.
    >
    > I am at complete loss to interpret this. BIOS appears, is accessed, cpu
    > active, but no joy.
    >
    > I'd much appreciate your observations at this point. Power supply, I didn't
    > mention before, is 300 Watts.
    >
    > RobF

    Have you checked the definition of the jumpers yet ? To see what changing
    that other jumper may have done.

    "Updating ESCD" is where the BIOS flash upgrades a segment of the BIOS
    chip, with the hardware configuration changes. If the BIOS chip is in
    bad shape, maybe it isn't completing the flash upgrade. You could try
    reflsahing the BIOS, but if that doesn't work, you could get another
    BIOS chip from badflash.com. Assuming the BIOS chip is sitting in a
    socket and is removable.

    Maybe that other jumper was a write protect or something.

    Paul

    Paul, Mar 15, 2007
  14. RobF

    RobF Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message news:eta2rk$pnr$...
    > RobF wrote:
    > > Pardon the top post, Dave, I have to start right in:
    > > After removing all cards except video, un-powering and de-ribboning

    *all*
    > > drives and floppy, the cpu fan operated.
    > > Again, monitor active: "keyboard error" - "BIOS ROM checksum error"
    > > "Detecting floppy drive" (not installed).
    > >
    > > Added PCI/IDE card, connected main drive and floppy:
    > > "primary master - none
    > > secondary master - CD/RW"
    > > the BIOS was accessible.
    > >
    > > The boot up sequence continued up to "Updating ESCD"
    > > couldn't restart with either CAD or restart button.
    > >
    > > I am at complete loss to interpret this. BIOS appears, is accessed, cpu
    > > active, but no joy.
    > >
    > > I'd much appreciate your observations at this point. Power supply, I

    didn't
    > > mention before, is 300 Watts.
    > >
    > > RobF

    > Have you checked the definition of the jumpers yet ? To see what changing
    > that other jumper may have done.
    >
    > "Updating ESCD" is where the BIOS flash upgrades a segment of the BIOS
    > chip, with the hardware configuration changes. If the BIOS chip is in
    > bad shape, maybe it isn't completing the flash upgrade. You could try
    > reflsahing the BIOS, but if that doesn't work, you could get another
    > BIOS chip from badflash.com. Assuming the BIOS chip is sitting in a
    > socket and is removable.
    >
    > Maybe that other jumper was a write protect or something.
    >
    > Paul

    ****** snip
    Thanks, Paul. I have never flash-updated the BIOS. I'll re-check the jumper
    definitions.

    Rob
    RobF, Mar 15, 2007
  15. RobF

    RobF Guest

    JAD wrote:

    > this is after a cmos clear or ALL the time?
    > all the time? your cmos battery is dead

    Thanks, JAD. This was after cmos clear and after removing all but video,
    then adding pci/ide drive.
    I was thinking that cmos battery may be the prob. Epox didn't catch that
    possibility. I'll see if I can get it tested (Radio Shack?), and replaced.

    Rob

    ******snip
    RobF, Mar 15, 2007
  16. RobF

    RobF Guest

    "JAD" <john > wrote in message

    > this is after a cmos clear or ALL the time?
    > all the time? your cmos battery is dead

    It Lives ! Tested. 98% battery power remaining.
    RobF, Mar 15, 2007