failed windows xp pro install - page fault in nonpaged area

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by dbraller@yahoo.com, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Guest

    i attempted to do an upgrade from windows 2000 pro to windows xp pro.
    i made the mistake of doing an in-place install. in the middle of the
    install, with the windows xp load screen up, i get a blue screen with
    the error: "page fault in nonpaged area" and then it restarts.

    i've done the following so far:
    -memtest - no problems
    -taken out multiple memory chips and tried with three different ones by
    themselves
    -flashed bios to the most recent version
    -tried reinstalling fresh and resuming install multiple times
    -made sure to have an updated raid driver to use during install
    -disabled caching

    my motherboard is a soyo p4s dragon ultra. i was having no problems
    with windows 2000, my memory, or any hardware compatibilities.

    any additional suggestions on how to attack this problem?

    or concurrently, how to reverse and uninstall the failed win xp install
    and revert to my tried and true windows 2000? and if so, any way to
    avoid a clean install? i do have backups, but would prefer to avoid
    this if possible.

    much thanks in advance...
    , Jul 17, 2006

  2. Well this is probably no help to you right now, but when I usually "upgrade"
    my OS, I purchase a new Hard Drive and then install things fresh. If there
    is a problem I still have the original with my saved files AND I reload my
    programs. I can then install the original HD as a slave and pull my files
    off of it. ;-)

    You still might be able to install WINXP onto another HD and use your
    original HD to pull the files off of. HDs are so cheap nowadays too!

    good luck,
    dave
    (One out of many daves)

    dave AKA vwdoc1, Jul 21, 2006