Fans/Hard Drives/Dvd Drives power up but no display. -.-

Discussion in 'Asus' started by wcperryman@gmail.com, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Okay. So I'm gonna start of by posting my system specs.

    Asus P4V8X-MX Motherboard

    512mb of Ram (2x256)

    2.66 Ghz Pentium 4 Proccesor

    XFX Geforce 6200 video card.

    Ok. So I came home one night last week and went to my computer and
    realized that it was off. I thought it was odd since I left it on when
    I left that morning. So I hit the button to turn it on and nothing
    happened. So, I opened it up and saw that my home wired power switch
    had come unwired. So, thinking it was just a result of my kicking the
    computer or something, I rewired the switch no big deal. Hit the switch
    to turn it on and still nothing. Starting to get pissed I went and got
    another power supply and plugged it in and this time the computer
    turned on but nothing came on the display. Nothing at all. Does it look
    like my mobo is fried or maybe theres something loose. Any ideas would
    help. Thanks.

    , Oct 24, 2006

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Okay. So I'm gonna start of by posting my system specs.
    >
    > Asus P4V8X-MX Motherboard
    >
    > 512mb of Ram (2x256)
    >
    > 2.66 Ghz Pentium 4 Proccesor
    >
    > XFX Geforce 6200 video card.
    >
    > Ok. So I came home one night last week and went to my computer and
    > realized that it was off. I thought it was odd since I left it on when
    > I left that morning. So I hit the button to turn it on and nothing
    > happened. So, I opened it up and saw that my home wired power switch
    > had come unwired. So, thinking it was just a result of my kicking the
    > computer or something, I rewired the switch no big deal. Hit the switch
    > to turn it on and still nothing. Starting to get pissed I went and got
    > another power supply and plugged it in and this time the computer
    > turned on but nothing came on the display. Nothing at all. Does it look
    > like my mobo is fried or maybe theres something loose. Any ideas would
    > help. Thanks.

    You could try a bit more testing. Unplug the computer before adding
    or removing any hardware. Remove the RAM and the video card. Fire
    up the machine. Does it beep ? If it does, the processor has been
    able to execute a bit of BIOS code. If it doesn't beep, then processor,
    motherboard, or power supply are faulty. Since the replacement power
    supply has managed to run the fans, it suggests the replacement
    supply is not faulty. So, if you get no beeps, that leaves processor
    or motherboard. Motherboards probably fail more often than processors,
    so if you get no beeps, it could be a warranty repair for the
    motherboard.

    It could be the power supply died, and took out the motherboard.
    Does the power supply have a burnt smell ?

    What was the weather like in your location today ? Were there
    any lightning storms ? Are any other appliances damaged ?

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 24, 2006

  3. DaveW Guest

    Sounds like either your PSU or motherboard has failed. The easiest thing to
    try first is to replace the PSU with a known working one.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Oct 25, 2006
  4. Guest

    I think the motherboard got fried. I tested it with known working PSU
    and nothing happened still no beeps, nothing. BTW the PSU that I've
    been using doesn't fire up at all. All it does is turn the standby
    light on. It hasn't really worked good for awhile. Everytime I pluged
    network cable in to the onboard network card the standby light went
    dim. But anyways, I didn't have it in a surge protector for some
    reason that day so I think it got zapped. -.-. I sent it off today for
    a replacement (I hope). I will probably test the CPU tommorrow. (That's
    safe isn't it.) And I'm going to buy a new case with a new PSU pretty
    soon because the case I have now is a crappy old dell case that doesn't
    let the motherboard sit right for some reason.

    , Oct 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    I think the motherboard got fried. I tested it with known working PSU
    and nothing happened still no beeps, just the fans and stuff. BTW the
    PSU that I have been using in the case doesn't fire up at all. All it
    does is turn the standby light on. It hasn't really worked good for
    awhile. Everytime I plugged a network cable in to the onboard network

  6. Major Ninth Guest

    since you have a dell case I'm assuming you used a dell power supply to
    test. You do know that they have different cable pinouts from the standard
    ones?

    -john

    Major Ninth, Oct 27, 2006
  7. Guest

    The Dell power supply is the one that I've been using that doesn't
    work anymore. I tested with 3 different 250 watt power supplies. One
    that is without a doubt good that I use in another computer. The other
    two were older but I'm pretty sure they still work.

    , Oct 27, 2006
  8. wrote:
    > The Dell power supply is the one that I've been using that doesn't
    > work anymore. I tested with 3 different 250 watt power supplies. One
    > that is without a doubt good that I use in another computer. The other
    > two were older but I'm pretty sure they still work.

    Not all Dell computers can use power supplies from non-Dell computers.
    They use the same connectors but the wiring is different. Using a
    standard power supply with a Dell motherboard may not work and may
    damage the motherboard and components. The best way to find out if your
    computer uses the proprietary power supply is to go to
    pcpowerandcooling.com and use their Dell power supply selector. From
    there you can find out if you use a standard power supply or a Dell
    specific brand. If your computer uses the Dell wiring you can purchase
    an adapter to allow you to use a standard power supply with the mother
    board.

    Michael W. Ryder, Oct 27, 2006
  9. mike6 Guest

    you wiped out the bois chip . call asus tech support they can send you
    a new one . that should get you up and running.

    mike6, Oct 28, 2006