    wondering what is the fastes CPU (NON OVERCLOCKED) this board will
    support?

    Thanks

    Sam, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Sam

    tcsenter Guest

    I could find no CPU support info for 5.0A version of this board, all I
    could find was BIOS and manual. Based on my experience with this model
    (but not your version), I believe you would have no problem using up to
    Pentium 4 2.8GHz 533MHz (Northwood) or Celeron 2.8GHz. No Prescott or
    Celeron D support.

    tcsenter, Aug 18, 2005

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Is this P4 2.8 (Northwood) still made or do I have to get a used one?
    How can I tell if it is a Northwood?

    :

    Sam, Sep 25, 2005
  4. Sam

    tcsenter Guest

    >>Is this P4 2.8 (Northwood) still made or do I have to get a used one? How can I tell if it is a Northwood?<<

    I doubt the 2.8 NW is still in production, but I suspect there is still
    an inventory of new processors out there. Northwood will have 533MHz
    processor bus and 512KB L2 cache. If the processor has 1MB L2 cache,
    it is a Prescott and is not supported.

    There are 800MHz Northwoods available, too, but your board will only
    support up to 533MHz processor bus.

    tcsenter, Oct 6, 2005
  5. Sam

    tcsenter Guest

    I would add, it is possible your board can support as high as 3.06GHz
    Northwood in 533MHz, but I am not nearly as confident that your board
    will support the 3.06GHz. Not enough to say 'go ahead'.

    tcsenter, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "tcsenter" <> wrote in message
    : I doubt the 2.8 NW is still in production, but I suspect there is still
    : an inventory of new processors out there. Northwood will have 533MHz
    : processor bus and 512KB L2 cache. If the processor has 1MB L2 cache,
    : it is a Prescott and is not supported.
    :
    : There are 800MHz Northwoods available, too, but your board will only
    : support up to 533MHz processor bus.

    You sure know your stuff. :)
    I just got an email back from ECS and you're right, 512KB L2. I cant
    find any new CPU's around. I also tried to add an AGP video card onto
    the board. The onboard video kicks in. I regret buying the extra memory
    (512 MB PC3200-200MHZ) last spring for this board. Not sure what I
    should do now.

    Sam, Oct 13, 2005
  7. You are not that bad off. You just need a new CPU and MB. The newest AMD
    chips love your memory. You need a new motherboard, but if you shop
    carefully, you can get a cpu and MB for the price you would have to pay
    for a 2.4 ghz Intel, and it would be much faster to boot!

    Sam
    () wrote:

    : "tcsenter" <> wrote in message
    : news:...:
    : : I doubt the 2.8 NW is still in production, but I suspect there is still
    : : an inventory of new processors out there. Northwood will have 533MHz
    : : processor bus and 512KB L2 cache. If the processor has 1MB L2 cache,
    : : it is a Prescott and is not supported.
    : :

    Brian Campbell, Oct 13, 2005
  8. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Hmm. Which current MB and AMD processor would work with my memory? I
    want something faster than a Celeron for multimedia applications.

    Sam, Oct 14, 2005
  9. Sam

    robm Guest

    are you looking to stay with ECS brand MB ?
    looking to go cheap ? are you interested in OC'ing ?

    robm, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Sam

    tcsenter Guest

    >>Hmm. Which current MB and AMD processor would work with my memory? I want something faster than a Celeron for multimedia applications.<<

    I just finished rebuilding a friend's computer that had a lowly Duron
    1300 and way-old KM133 mainboard, 256MB PC133 memory, integrated
    graphics, and 6.8GB 5400RPM HDD manufactured in 1999. I upgraded to an
    ECS KT600-A mainboard, 512MB PC2700, 40GB 7200RPM HDD, and ATI Radeon
    9200SE 64MB AGP, using the onboard audio and LAN. I stuck the old
    Duron 1300 back in, and when paired with these newer components, the
    difference in performance is like night and day.

    The moral of this story is, there are several potential performance
    bottlenecks in any system. Removing just one or two of the biggest
    bottlenecks, while retaining other components, can make a real
    difference. I have had several clients very satisfied with the
    increase in performance and responsiveness just by replacing an older
    5400RPM hard drive with a new 7200RPM (8MB buffer) drive, even with a
    low-end processor.

    Upgrading your motherboard, using your new PC3200 memory, but keeping
    your Celeron, might prove adequate. The new Celeron D processors are
    good performers for the money.

    tcsenter, Oct 19, 2005