    to give me more trouble. I do regular backups to an external drive and new
    drives are cheap enough these days, so I'm not terribly worried. Just
    curious.

    Martin Walker, Feb 14, 2011

  2. Martin Walker

    Justin Guest

    In article <QC%5p.6060$>,
    "Martin Walker" <> wrote:

    > My trusty old B130 laptop would not boot from the hard drive. I could view
    > the drive partitions and contents after booting to an Acronis rescue disc. I
    > then booted to the Windows XP install disk and ran FIXMBR from the recovery
    > console. Now it boots from the hard drive and everything seems ok. I wonder
    > if this was just bad luck or if it's a sign of an aging drive that's about
    > to give me more trouble. I do regular backups to an external drive and new
    > drives are cheap enough these days, so I'm not terribly worried. Just
    > curious.

    try running a repair from Windows.
    How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer
    1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that
    you want to check.
    2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
    3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the
    Check disk options is displayed,
    4. Use one of the following procedures:
    - To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
    - To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors,
    select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then
    click Start.
    - To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable
    information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
    check box, and then click Start.
    5. Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you
    will receive the following message: The disk check could not be
    performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some
    Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting
    Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time
    you restart the computer?
    Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to
    start the disk check.

    Justin, Feb 14, 2011

  3. Martin Walker

    Eric Parker Guest

    "Martin Walker" <> wrote in message
    > My trusty old B130 laptop would not boot from the hard drive. I could view
    > the drive partitions and contents after booting to an Acronis rescue disc.
    > I then booted to the Windows XP install disk and ran FIXMBR from the
    > recovery console. Now it boots from the hard drive and everything seems
    > ok. I wonder if this was just bad luck or if it's a sign of an aging drive
    > that's about to give me more trouble. I do regular backups to an external
    > drive and new drives are cheap enough these days, so I'm not terribly
    > worried. Just curious.

    Go to the disk manufacturer's website and download their test utility.
    It will probably be a CD image.
    Burn the CD and boot with it.
    The full test may take hours but not as long as having to recover if it
    fails completely.
    If it tells you the drive is failing, replace it.

    Eric

    Eric Parker, Feb 14, 2011
  4. Ok, thanks for the advice. WD's Data Lifeguard diagnostics, Dell
    diagnostics, and checkdisk all found no problem. Looks like I'll just carry
    on and backup regularly.

    Martin Walker, Feb 17, 2011