    I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
    TIA

    Roy

    Roy, May 29, 2010

  2. Roy

    BillW50 Guest

    On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:
    > Hello group
    > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > wireless internet connection ?
    >
    > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > regain wireless internet connectivity
    > I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
    > TIA
    >
    > Roy

    Sounds like BS to me Roy. It is like less than a 5% chance it is the
    motherboard (unless the WiFi is on the motherboard, then maybe). So what
    kind of HP Tablet is this anyway? And what OS is running on it now?

    --
    Bill
    Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

    BillW50, May 29, 2010

  3. Roy

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Roy wrote:
    > Hello group
    > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > wireless internet connection ?
    >
    > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > regain wireless internet connectivity
    > I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
    > TIA
    >
    > Roy

    Convince her that wireless is unsafe, and slow.

    Sjouke Burry, May 29, 2010
  4. Roy

    BillW50 Guest

    On 5/28/2010 6:58 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
    > Roy wrote:
    >> Hello group
    >> One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    >> wireless internet connection ?
    >>
    >> Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    >> unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    >> it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    >> Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    >> regain wireless internet connectivity
    >> I would like to ask if there is any remedy to her problem?
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Roy

    > Convince her that wireless is unsafe, and slow.

    It depends! ;-)

    BillW50, May 29, 2010
  5. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Re: Faulty Wifi in HP tablet notebook

    On 29 Mayo, 07:54, BillW50 <> wrote:
    > On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:

    > Sounds like BS to me Roy. It is like less than a 5% chance it is the
    > motherboard (unless the WiFi is on the motherboard, then maybe). So what
    > kind of HP Tablet is this anyway? And what OS is running on it now?
    >
    > --
    > Bill
    > Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)

    That
    thanks bill!
    That has also been mysuspicion, that the technician just want to get
    some money from this lady....
    She says the model is HPTX1200.

    Sjourke...
    Why would it unsafe and slow when its a home network?

    Roy, May 29, 2010
  6. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Re: Faulty Wifi in HP tablet notebook

    On 29 Mayo, 07:54, BillW50 <> wrote:
    > On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:

    And what OS is running on it now?

    > --

    Ooops, she said the O/S is window vista home premium...

    Roy

    Roy, May 29, 2010
  7. Roy

    Pen Guest

    On 5/28/2010 9:02 PM, Roy wrote:
    > On 29 Mayo, 07:54, BillW50 <> wrote:
    >> On 5/28/2010 6:43 PM, Roy wrote:

    > And what OS is running on it now?
    >>
    >> --

    > Ooops, she said the O/S is window vista home premium...
    >

    > Roy

    HP says it has a plug in wireless card.
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00853874.pdf

    Pen, May 29, 2010
  8. Roy

    On 29 Mayo, 12:31, AJL <> wrote:
    > Roy <> wrote:
    > >Hello group
    > >One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > >wireless internet connection ?

    > >Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > >unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > >it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > >Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > >regain wireless internet connectivity
    > >I would like to ask if there is any  remedy to her problem?

    > Assuming the hardware us really broken, a cheaper way to stay on the
    > air might be to get one of those little USB plug in WiFi modules. My
    > local Walmart sells them for US$35. Plug one in, run the software, and
    > you're on the air...

    Does that USB plug in wifi work with any kind of wifi connections?
    I mean some provide USB 3G type wirless internet connection but that
    lady is not into that at the moment.
    He just want to connect to his home network wirelessly.
    I was thinking of getting also PCI wireless card but not sure if its
    as good as the internal in built wireless device in the notebook.

    Roy

    Roy, May 29, 2010
  9. Roy

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 28, 6:43 pm, Roy <> wrote:
    > Hello group
    > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > wireless internet connection ?
    >
    > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > regain wireless internet connectivity
    > I would like to ask if there is any  remedy to her problem?
    > TIA
    >
    > Roy

    Nearly the same set of circumstances here Roy. A lady friend took her
    2 yr old HP dv6000 with no WiFi and a guy said the same.
    I replaced the BroadCom PCIe card and it still will not work. Put a
    USB WiFi dongle on it (re-cert LinkSys $10)
    Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    Bob Villa, May 29, 2010
  10. Roy

    On 29 Mayo, 14:53, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On May 28, 6:43 pm, Roy <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello group
    > > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > > wireless internet connection ?

    > > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > > regain wireless internet connectivity
    > > I would like to ask if there is any  remedy to her problem?
    > > TIA

    > > Roy

    > Nearly the same set of circumstances here Roy.  A lady friend took her
    > 2 yr old HP dv6000 with no WiFi and a guy said the same.
    > I replaced the BroadCom PCIe card and it still will not work.  Put a
    > USB WiFi dongle on it (re-cert LinkSys $10)
    > Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    That is a surprising coincidence Bob... This implies that HP had
    really lousy wifi that it will not last long compared to other
    manufacturers...
    I had an HP compact model 9040 that had the same problem some years
    back ( wifi problem) and never bought another HP unit again...
    But anyway I will relay that PCIe information to this lady...
    Thanks for that!
    Roy

    Roy, May 29, 2010
  11. Roy

    On 29 Mayo, 14:58, AJL <> wrote:
    > AJL <> wrote:

    AJL ,I will relay that info also to the lady...
    Thanks!

    Roy

    Roy, May 29, 2010
  12. Roy

    Roy Guest

    Re: Faulty Wifi in HP tablet notebook

    On 29 Mayo, 14:53, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On May 28, 6:43 pm, Roy <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello group
    > > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > > wireless internet connection ?

    > > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > > regain wireless internet connectivity
    > > I would like to ask if there is any  remedy to her problem?
    > > TIA

    > > Roy

    > Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    Huh,,? vista does not recognize it.......?

    Roy, May 29, 2010
  13. Roy

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 29, 3:20 am, Roy <> wrote:
    > On 29 Mayo, 14:53, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    >

    > > On May 28, 6:43 pm, Roy <> wrote:

    > > > Hello group
    > > > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > > > wireless internet connection ?

    > > > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > > > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > > > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > > > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > > > regain wireless internet connectivity
    > > > I would like to ask if there is any  remedy to her problem?
    > > > TIA

    > > > Roy

    > > Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    > Huh,,?  vista does not recognize it.......?

    Two people (one very knowledgeable and experienced with repair) said a
    re-install may wake Vista up and see the hardware. (If it was mine I
    would XP or Win7)
    But, on the other hand...I tried a Ubuntu Live CD and it didn't see
    the new card either.
    No one can make much sense of it...especially me!
    bob

    Bob Villa, May 29, 2010
  14. Roy

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 29, 3:20 am, Roy <> wrote:
    > On 29 Mayo, 14:53, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    >

    > > On May 28, 6:43 pm, Roy <> wrote:

    > > > Hello group
    > > > One lady friend of mine asked if there is a way to regain her notebook
    > > > wireless internet connection ?

    > > > Her notebook is already 2 years old and having that fault She had the
    > > > unit brought to an HP service center and the guy there told her that
    > > > it needs to replace the motherboard that will set her back by 300USD.
    > > > Now she is using a wired internet connection but she still wants to
    > > > regain wireless internet connectivity
    > > > I would like to ask if there is any  remedy to her problem?
    > > > TIA

    > > > Roy

    > > Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    > Huh,,?  vista does not recognize it.......?

    Something related: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp.hardware/browse_thread/thread/7ca8c98f03ad2363#

    bob

    Bob Villa, May 29, 2010
  15. Roy

    On May 29, 10:11 pm, Bob Villa <> wrote:
    > On May 29, 3:20 am, Roy <> wrote:

    > > > Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    > > Huh,,?  vista does not recognize it.......?

    > Something related:http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp.hardware/browse_thread/thr...
    >
    > bob- Hide quoted text -

    Thats interesting Bob!
    Thanks!

    Roy, May 29, 2010
  16. Roy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bob Villa wrote:
    > On May 29, 3:20 am, Roy <> wrote:

    >>> Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    >> Huh,,? vista does not recognize it.......?

    > Two people (one very knowledgeable and experienced with repair) said a
    > re-install may wake Vista up and see the hardware. (If it was mine I
    > would XP or Win7)
    > But, on the other hand...I tried a Ubuntu Live CD and it didn't see
    > the new card either.
    > No one can make much sense of it...especially me!
    > bob

    It's obvious to me; The slot or slot contacts are unreliable. Either the
    point of failure is the soldering onto the planar or the slot itself is
    poorly designed.
    --
    Shaun.

    "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.

    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2010
  17. Roy

    On May 29, 2:39 pm, AJL <> wrote:
    > Roy <> wrote:
    > >On 29 Mayo, 12:31, AJL <> wrote:
    > >> Assuming the hardware us really broken, a cheaper way to stay on the
    > >> air might be to get one of those little USB plug in WiFi modules. My
    > >> local Walmart sells them for US$35. Plug one in, run the software, and
    > >> you're on the air...

    > >Does that USB plug in wifi work with any kind of wifi connections?
    > >I mean some provide USB  3G type wirless internet connection  but that
    > >lady is not into that at the moment.

    > There are several different makes. Most will do G which is quite
    > adequate for most needs, but N is available at higher cost. Here is
    > one like what I mean:
    >
    > http://www.belkin.com/iwcatproductpage.process?product_id=179211
    >
    > >He just want to connect to his home network wirelessly.
    > >I was thinking of getting also  PCI wireless card but not sure if its
    > >as good as the internal in built wireless device in the notebook.

    > I used one several years back when I had a laptop with no wireless.
    > Worked just fine. The thing sticking out the laptop's side was kind of
    > a PITA, but what you gonna do... ;)
    >
    > BTW mine came with an extension cable so that I could elevate and
    > orient the antenna for best reception when working in fringe areas
    > (like my back porch) so that was one advantage over the built in
    > wireless.

    Hello Guys!
    The lady recently bought that USB type
    http://www.belkin.com/iwcatproductpage.process?product_id=179211
    and it works well for her laptop
    She is relaying her deep appreciation for all your comments and
    suggestions.
    Thanks alot!
    Best Regards
    Roy

    Roy, Jun 1, 2010
  18. Roy

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Faulty Wifi in HP tablet notebook

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bob Villa wrote:
    > On May 29, 3:20 am, Roy <> wrote:

    >>> Vista could not see the new (or old) card?!

    >> Huh,,? vista does not recognize it.......?

    > Something related:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp.hardware/browse_thread/thread/7ca8c98f03ad2363#
    >
    > bob

    Yeah, as I thought, it seems like it's the slot / motherboard / solder....

    ~misfit~, Jun 1, 2010
  19. Roy

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jun 1, 2:14 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bob Villa wrote:

    > >> Huh,,? vista does not recognize it.......?

    > > Two people (one very knowledgeable and experienced with repair) said a
    > > re-install may wake Vista up and see the hardware. (If it was mine I
    > > would XP or Win7)
    > > But, on the other hand...I tried a Ubuntu Live CD and it didn't see
    > > the new card either.
    > > No one can make much sense of it...especially me!
    > > bob

    > It's obvious to me; The slot or slot contacts are unreliable. Either the
    > point of failure is the soldering onto the planar or the slot itself is
    > poorly designed.
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.

    Being obvious, after the fact...is pretty arrogant of you!

    Bob Villa, Jun 1, 2010
  20. Roy

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jun 2, 9:17 am, John LaBella <> wrote:
    > I don't know if this is related or a Red Herring but ....
    > I have a Compaq Pressario 2800. I purchased the WiFi "Bump" for it.
    > All was well.
    > I had to replace my WiFi ROuter and started getting BSOD (running WinXP
    > Professional).
    >
    > Tried all of the usual - checked memory replaced Hard Drive Introduced A
    > PCMCIA Cooler ran it on a notebook cooling pad etc etc etc. It still
    > would BSOD but then got a string from the error that suggested the WiFI
    > was to blame. I could not locate any newer drivers for it.
    > Then Tried a USB Dongle Again BSOD - Did more digging and found the HP
    > "sort of" acknowledges that their "Bump" will cause BSOD. I tried a
    > PCMCIA WiFi Card ans I haven't had a BSOD.
    > However When I re installed WinXP (to try and solve the problem - the
    > install could not identify it as a Laptop and would not install the
    > Battery meter & processes).
    >
    > Eventually I gave up and now have purchased a New Laptop NOT HP and I
    > won't buy another HP/Compaq! So sad for a company that used to have
    > really solid products.

    Thanks for the info...my 1st PC was an HP in '99...I would not buy
    another, either!

    bob

    Bob Villa, Jun 2, 2010