Feature Request: Ability to change language AFTER writing!

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by Michael Moser, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. I am regularly writing in two different languages (English and German).
    Again and again it happens be me, that I start writing and only when the
    input panel recognizes complete garbage I realize that I again forgot to
    select the proper language first.

    Dear MS-developers, let me tell you: This is NOT how people think!

    When I write something down I want to capture a thought. Thoughts are
    precious (after all: that's why we want to capture them and what we are paid
    for) but, alas, thoughts are also volatile and so I want to dump that
    thought or that idea as long as I have it fresh in mind and I have to
    concentrate on the content while doing so! I do NOT want to be interrupted
    BEFORE I write something down! I am NOT a computer! I do NOT have the mental
    capacity to push my ideas onto a "stack" and then first deal with something
    else and later "pop" that idea from the stack again and continue from where
    I left off. If I try that (or have to try that because my machine forces
    me), then my ideas are very often gone by the time when I try to pop them
    off that mental stack!

    Only AFTER I wrote down my thought I accept to be bothered by questions re.
    spelling and what language that last scribble was in. So, it should be
    possible to change the input language AFTER the writing and have the SW
    re-recognize my ink again under the new assumption, i.e. using a different
    dictionary. That's how the input panel should work!

    Regards,
    Michael
    Michael Moser, Jun 9, 2008

  2. >> Dear MS-developers <<

    Unfortunately, ms personnel rarely visit the microsoft forums, so, know
    that feedback posted here is unlikely to make it to anyone within their
    walls.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jun 9, 2008

  3. Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] schrieb:

    >>> Dear MS-developers <<

    > Unfortunately, ms personnel rarely visit the microsoft forums, so,
    > know that feedback posted here is unlikely to make it to anyone
    > within their walls.

    And what woild *You* suggest to get through and/or over the said walls?

    Rainald
    Rainald Taesler, Jun 10, 2008
  4. >> ...what woild *You* suggest to get through and/or over the said
    walls? <<

    I've been a microsoft mvp for another (windows mobile) arena for five
    years, and, despite that connection, have found _no_ reliable way to get
    feedback even acknowledged much less listened to. The idea of getting
    something acted on is the stuff of fantasy.

    I'm here because it's the users who often have solutions and alternative
    workarounds to user issues which will never be addressed at the source.

    imho, the main result from trying to get ms act on a user need will be
    ulcers... and they are not worth it ;-)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jun 10, 2008
  5. Thanks for your kind reply, Beverly!

    On re-read my posting seem rather rude to me and as it was not meant in
    this way, I would have deleted it if this would be possible ...

    "Beverly Howard wrote:
    >>> I'm really wondering where all of the good old folks who used to

    > frequent this forum may have gone ... <<
    >
    > Guess I ran them off... although I do qualify as "old" ;-)

    LOL

    > imho, it's pretty discouraging that several of the primary needs

    posted
    > here can't be addressed by users and ms remains unresponsive to user

    needs.

    Only too true and too sad ...

    Rainald
    Rainald Taesler, Jun 13, 2008
  6. >> my posting seem rather <<

    Didn't take it that way... in fact had been thinking the same thing
    before your post.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jun 14, 2008
  7. Michael Moser

    S. Niemeyer Guest

    go and participate in MS Beta programs to directly influence upcoming
    products.
    Goto connect.microsoft.com and register. You'll read it in the news when a
    new Windows beta will start and new beta testers will be welcomed.

    Stefen

    "Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> schrieb im
    Newsbeitrag news:...

    S. Niemeyer, Jun 30, 2008
  8. >> go and participate in MS Beta programs <<

    unfortunately, my willingness to expect ms to respond positively to
    current user input beyond lip service has been forged with ms experience
    dating back to the introduction of msdos (things were better then) along
    with advancing age and lowered expectations.

    The bulk of my beta participation has been in windows mobile, and while
    I can't comment on ms beta in general, it has been evident, where I have
    participated, that the feature sets are already set in concrete long
    before beta testing begins and all such requests from all participants
    have essentially been "black holed" by the ms development teams.

    ms is a 500 million ton gorilla which has pushed lead time units into
    decades... the op's request represents such a tiny fraction of their
    perceived market that (imho) the best hope of having his need addressed
    is to look for a third party product which would facilitate the user in
    knowing what the current language status is...

    ....for example, a language setting utility which would set different
    desktop wallpapers when each language is selected.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jun 30, 2008
  9. Michael Moser

    S. Niemeyer Guest

    Hi Beverly,
    from my personal experience I can say yes, there is a chance to make their
    minds change, even for design changes. Of course I did and do not expect all
    my ideas to be realized. It depends on the idea itself, time, ressources,
    budget, support from other testers etc. I can't speak for Windows Mobile
    Betas, never heard of those, but I guess they are currently very open to
    ideas regarding an improved touch interface ;)

    S. Niemeyer, Jul 2, 2008
  10. >> but I guess they are currently very open to ideas regarding an
    improved touch interface ;) <<

    <grin> ...wish that were so ;-)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Jul 3, 2008