    -
    Peter James
    Remove AT to reply
    Peter James, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Peter James

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Peter James <> wrote:

    > I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
    > Mac.
    > Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.
    >
    > 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

    Yes. You can open them in AppleWorks, or indeed obtain OpenOffice which
    uses that format anyway.

    > 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

    Yes, most apps can handle RTF - even the basic test editor.

    > 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
    > version of Diablo?
    > 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

    Dunno.

    > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

    Absolutely, both of those will even display thumbnails in Finder. Highly
    recommended is Graphic Converter by LemkeSoft. It does more than it says
    on the tin. You can also run GIMP as well.

    > 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
    > will read these?

    No idea.

    > 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

    Yup.

    > 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

    Yup.

    > 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

    Er, yes. There is also a standalone version called NeoOfficeJ, which is
    the same, except it doesn't need to install to Unix to run. Not bad for
    free either, and it's recently been released in a full version too
    (rather than a beta).

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
    Honda Civic: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
    Andy Hewitt, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Peter James

    Tim Murray Guest

    A bit of research could have found this for you, but anyway...

    > 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

    Generally yes. Of course, matching fonts are an issue. Also, the line spacing
    for any setting other than exact is a tiny bit different. The one area that
    may break are objects imported using OLE. Sometimes they show up okay, some
    times not.

    > 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

    Same as 1.

    > 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
    > version of Diablo?
    > 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

    I don't do games.

    > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

    Fine

    > 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
    > will read these?

    Don't know.

    > 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

    Yes. See Firefox FAQ and Tipe & Tricks.

    > 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

    don't know

    > 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

    Basically yes, but be aware that NeoOffice can't import EPS as a graphic.
    Tim Murray, Aug 14, 2005
  4. Peter James

    D P Schreber Guest

    On 2005-08-14, Andy Hewitt <> wrote:
    >> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

    > Er, yes. There is also a standalone version called NeoOfficeJ, which is
    > the same, except it doesn't need to install to Unix to run.

    To clarify: NeoOffice/J uses the native osx window system, whereas
    OpenOffice uses X11. An X11 server is included with osx but isn't
    installed by default ("unix" is of course not something one would
    install in osx -- osx is itself a unix variant). So you can run either
    NeoOffice or OpenOffice in osx, but NeoOffice is friendlier and better
    integrated.
    D P Schreber, Aug 14, 2005
  5. Peter James

    tommy Guest

    On 2005-08-14 07:52:29 -0700, Peter James <> said:

    > I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
    > Mac.
    > Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.

    > 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
    > version of Diablo?

    This is the only one I know. ..and yes, they do work. I played Diablo
    II on my slow Mac, then when I built a gaming PC I transferred my saved
    game info and it actually worked. I was surprised.

    /tommy
    tommy, Aug 14, 2005
  6. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
    > Mac.
    > Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.

    > 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

    Word .DOC files may be readable by Text Edit or AppleWorks. There is a
    version of Word for the Mac.

    > 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

    ..RTF is a "standard" format that should be readable by most word
    processors. It can be read by TextEdit or AppleWorks.

    > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

    Can be read by Preview, AppleWorks or GraphicConverter.

    > 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
    > will read these?

    Yes, Family Tree Maker for Mac may do it, although the OS 9 version I have
    doesn't seem to work in Classic mode. An alternative is to save the data
    in .GED format and import it into some other program. I use Reunion and
    love it.

    > 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

    Check out http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html

    Peter-

    Most of my experience has been helping co-workers transfer their Macintosh
    files when they were forced to use a Windows machine!

    I suggest you go to the Adobe web site and download a copy of the latest
    Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    For the other programs such as Diablo and Firefox, you might check their
    web sites to see if they have a Mac version. If not, look for alternate
    file formats that you can save their data in, that can be read by programs
    on the Mac.

    The latest high-end Macs come with an OEM version of GraphicConverter,
    which is an extremely handy program for manipulating and converting files
    in different graphic formats. Yours probably doesn't have it, so look for
    the Shareware version.

    Most of the iMacs come with AppleWorks, which is a single program that has
    some capabilities of Microsoft Word and Excel plus both bit-mapped and
    vector graphics. If yours doesn't have it, it is cheaper than Microsoft
    Office.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Aug 14, 2005
  7. Peter James

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    D P Schreber <> wrote:

    > On 2005-08-14, Andy Hewitt <> wrote:
    > >> 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

    > > Er, yes. There is also a standalone version called NeoOfficeJ, which is
    > > the same, except it doesn't need to install to Unix to run.

    > To clarify: NeoOffice/J uses the native osx window system, whereas
    > OpenOffice uses X11. An X11 server is included with osx but isn't
    > installed by default ("unix" is of course not something one would
    > install in osx -- osx is itself a unix variant). So you can run either
    > NeoOffice or OpenOffice in osx, but NeoOffice is friendlier and better
    > integrated.

    Yes indeed, I was keeping it as simplified as possible at this stage.

    Andy Hewitt, Aug 14, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

    > > 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

    > Word .DOC files may be readable by Text Edit or AppleWorks. There is a
    > version of Word for the Mac.
    >
    > > 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

    > .RTF is a "standard" format that should be readable by most word
    > processors. It can be read by TextEdit or AppleWorks.

    And Pages (for both formats).

    > > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

    > Can be read by Preview, AppleWorks or GraphicConverter.

    And by Safari or any other web browser. Also by Pages and Keynote.

    Michelle Steiner, Aug 14, 2005
  9. Peter James

    Andre Matuch Guest

    On 2005-08-14 10:52:29 -0400, Peter James <> said:

    > 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

    No problem. Appleworks can read them but might have conversion troubles
    on SOME documents. Pages will also open up .DOCs without any trouble.
    If that isn't enough, go ahead and use Microsoft Word for perfect
    translation.

    > 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

    This is true for not only the Mac but pretty much any OS that has a
    word processor to my recollection.

    > 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
    > version of Diablo?

    If I'm not mistaken, Diablo 2 is one of those games from Blizzard that
    was made for both OS' at once. However, I think it requires Mac OS 9
    (classic) so if you don't have that, you'll be in trouble.

    > 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

    I doubt it would be a problem. I believe the code for the two version
    of the game is virtually identical saves different processor references.

    > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

    No problem.

    > 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
    > will read these?

    No idea, I feel bad for not knowing this one.

    > 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

    No problem.

    > 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

    No problem. In fact, when I migrated from Windows to Mac the first time
    around, I brought over all of my contacts from Mozilla (windows) to
    Mozilla (mac) without any trouble.

    > 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

    Both OpenOffice (through x11) and NeoOffice.
    Andre Matuch, Aug 14, 2005
  10. Peter James

    Gnarlodious Guest

    Entity Peter James spoke thus:

    > I'm about to back up my important files prior to transfering them to a
    > Mac.
    > Can anyone just confirm the following points for me please.
    >
    > 1. Word files can be read by the Mac without trouble.

    Yes.

    > 2. RTF text files will transfer and be read easily.

    Yes

    > 3. Save game files from Diablo II. Will these be readable by the Mac
    > version of Diablo?

    Never heard of it.

    > 4. ditto for Unreal Tournament 2004

    Ditto, never heard of it.

    > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

    Yes, iPhoto is included. A more robust solution is Graphic Converter:
    http://lemkesoft.de/en/index.htm , cost about $30.

    > 6. Data files from Family Tree Maker. Is there a Mac program that
    > will read these?

    Plenty, I use SeeGedcomX:
    http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~keithc/family-history/see-gedcom/
    It's free and fast but limited.

    > 7. Bookmarks from Firefox.

    Yes, it's a plain HTML file, located at:
    ~/Library/Application\ Support/Firefox/Profiles/username/bookmarks.html

    > 8. Mail and address book from Thunderbird.

    Don't know. You can probably export it as a common database file.

    > 9. Will Open Office run on the Mac?

    Yes

    > Many thanks.

    Welcome to Mac

    -- Gnarlie's Applescript page:
    http://Gnarlodious.com/Apple/AppleScript/
    Gnarlodious, Aug 15, 2005
  11. In article <BF25957E.FE36%>, Gnarlodious
    <> wrote:

    > Entity Peter James spoke thus:
    >
    > > 5. JPEG's and TIFF files

    > Yes, iPhoto is included. A more robust solution is Graphic Converter:
    > http://lemkesoft.de/en/index.htm , cost about $30.

    Many scanners also come bundled with Photoshop Elements (the cut-down
    version of Photoshop).

    Helpful Harry
    Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships ;o)
    Helpful Harry, Aug 15, 2005