    I have a USB Netgear wifi adaptor, should I use this to set up wifi? I am really
    ignorance to wifi and IBM Thinkpad.

    Thanks
    dwn, Jan 25, 2010

  2. On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:27:12 -0800, dwn <> wrote:

    > I have a used IBM Thinkpad T30 2336 96U
    > How to find if a wifi installed? Checking the System Hardware;
    >
    > Modem - Agere System AC'97 Modem
    > Network Adapter Name - [00000001] Infared Port
    > Product Name - [00000002] Network adaptor Intel(R) Pro/100
    > VE Network connection
    > PCMICA Texas Instruments PCI-520 cardbus controller
    >
    > There are no wifi in System's Hardware. What's the Fast Infared Port for?
    > I have a USB Netgear wifi adaptor, should I use this to set up wifi? I am really
    > ignorance to wifi and IBM Thinkpad.

    I believe you have a 2366-96U, and from your tests you don't have one with
    the built-in Cisco wireless card installed. The IR port is to connect to
    close-by equipment such as another computer or a cell phone but I don't
    believe it is useful for TCP/IP networking. Yes, you can use either a USB
    wireless dongle or a PC Card adapter for WiFi. Maybe find a local buddy
    with some knowledge of networking with whatever operating system you use.
    The Thinkpad itself is just any other notebook when it comes to networking.

    Tony
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 25, 2010

  3. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:05:58 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    wrote:

    Oops, made a mistake it is T30 2366 96U, thanks for your reply.

    Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
    installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
    adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

    Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
    re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
    (I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

    Thank

    dwn, Jan 25, 2010
  4. On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:14:37 -0800, dwn <> wrote:

    > Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
    > installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
    > adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

    The "original description" of your system shows that it came without WLAN:
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=236696U

    It's likely possible to install a inside WLAN card inside, but I would
    think - even if you could find all the parts for the antenna and cabling
    etc. - it would be far more work than worthwhile in that 2003 era system.
    The antennas are mounted inside the screen part of the hinged case, so
    there's quite a lot of disassembly needed in order to thread those cables
    in order to perform such an installation.

    > Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
    > re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
    > (I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

    Before I look around - what operating system are you using? And do you
    already have a wireless Access Point to which you wish to connect?

    Tony
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 25, 2010
  5. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:37:25 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:14:37 -0800, dwn <> wrote:
    >
    >> Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
    >> installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
    >> adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

    >The "original description" of your system shows that it came without WLAN:
    >http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=236696U

    "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
    Operating system: Windows XP
    Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
    SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
    Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"

    The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
    found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
    port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
    an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
    not in the System Device manager?

    >It's likely possible to install a inside WLAN card inside, but I would
    >think - even if you could find all the parts for the antenna and cabling
    >etc. - it would be far more work than worthwhile in that 2003 era system.
    >The antennas are mounted inside the screen part of the hinged case, so
    >there's quite a lot of disassembly needed in order to thread those cables
    >in order to perform such an installation.

    Yea, no point installing one, I will use the Linksys USB G Adaptor. This work
    flawlessly when I blindly messing around with it. I need to understand what do I
    have in this T30 and how to config the wifi, to avoid being hack and etc. BTW I
    am posting, online using a Dell's Latitude D600 with a Linksys wireless router.
    O/S Win XP PRO.

    >> Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
    >> re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
    >> (I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

    >Before I look around - what operating system are you using? And do you
    >already have a wireless Access Point to which you wish to connect?
    >
    >Tony

    Thanks Tony, really appreciate it.
    dwn, Jan 25, 2010
  6. On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 15:37:25 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:14:37 -0800, dwn <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Were all Thinkpad came with installed/built-in WIFI, and if they don't can you
    >>> installed yourself or have anyone installed them? I have a Linksys G USB
    >>> adaptor, I plug it in Thinkpad and it work after messing around.

    >> The "original description" of your system shows that it came without WLAN:
    >> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=236696U

    > "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
    > Operating system: Windows XP
    > Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
    > SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
    > Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"
    >
    > The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
    > found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
    > port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
    > an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
    > not in the System Device manager?
    >
    >> It's likely possible to install a inside WLAN card inside, but I would
    >> think - even if you could find all the parts for the antenna and cabling
    >> etc. - it would be far more work than worthwhile in that 2003 era system.
    >> The antennas are mounted inside the screen part of the hinged case, so
    >> there's quite a lot of disassembly needed in order to thread those cables
    >> in order to perform such an installation.

    > Yea, no point installing one, I will use the Linksys USB G Adaptor. This work
    > flawlessly when I blindly messing around with it. I need to understand what do I
    > have in this T30 and how to config the wifi, to avoid being hack and etc. BTW I
    > am posting, online using a Dell's Latitude D600 with a Linksys wireless router.
    > O/S Win XP PRO.
    >>
    >>> Know any good sites and Youtube where I can learn and understand ABC...How to
    >>> re/config wireless routers, USB/built-in wifi adaptors especially for Thinkpad?
    >>> (I google and found some, maybe you have better sites..)

    >> Before I look around - what operating system are you using? And do you
    >> already have a wireless Access Point to which you wish to connect?
    >>
    >> Tony

    > Thanks Tony, really appreciate it.

    Maybe slow down a bit - I already responded to your previous question about
    IR and I asked you which OS you were using and whether you had a wireless
    Access Point so I could perhaps find a relevant guide on WLAN installation.

    Tony
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 25, 2010
  7. On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <> wrote:

    > "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
    > Operating system: Windows XP
    > Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
    > SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
    > Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"
    >
    > The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
    > found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
    > port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
    > an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
    > not in the System Device manager?

    Okay on XP - sorry that I missed that before.

    As to BlueTooth, both the spec and the icon suggest you do have it. In
    device manager the BT device is not among Network adapters but higher,
    between Batteries and Computer. Is nothing there?

    Tony
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 25, 2010
  8. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:06:21 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    wrote:

    >Maybe slow down a bit - I already responded to your previous question about
    >IR and I asked you which OS you were using and whether you had a wireless
    >Access Point so I could perhaps find a relevant guide on WLAN installation.
    >
    >Tony

    My O/S Win XP PRO. I have a Linksys WRT54C Wireless-G on a Dell Latitude D600
    laptop to post and access Internet. I can either use wired connection or wifi. I
    use wired as it's faster and safer.

    I like to know and understand as much as possible wifi, I use a spare laptop
    Thinkpad t30 to mess around, should I make a mistake, I can format, recover and
    start all over again. I will be moving shortly and need to go wireless. I must
    be sure and able to setup later. Thanks again.
    dwn, Jan 26, 2010
  9. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:28:34 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
    >> Operating system: Windows XP
    >> Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD, 14.1
    >> SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM, Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM),
    >> Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion battery, WinXP Pro"
    >>
    >> The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System Device manger,
    >> found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast infrared port. I have infrared
    >> port and what can I use it for? Also in the taskbar lower right side, there is
    >> an Bluetooth device icon, is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's
    >> not in the System Device manager?

    >Okay on XP - sorry that I missed that before.

    XP Pro.

    >As to BlueTooth, both the spec and the icon suggest you do have it. In
    >device manager the BT device is not among Network adapters but higher,
    >between Batteries and Computer. Is nothing there?

    I can see the infrared icon, but none BT in the between Batteries and computer
    or anywhere in the device manager. I may have ticked or loaded the driver it
    somewhere when I messed around, without knowing it? I download PC Doctor and
    could not determine if I have a BT. Tony thanks for being so patient.

    dwn, Jan 26, 2010
  10. dwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:28:34 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:34:28 -0800, dwn <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Product: ThinkPad T30 2366-96U
    >>> Operating system: Windows XP
    >>> Original description: P4-M 2.0GHz (512KB), 256MB RAM, 60.0GB HDD,
    >>> 14.1 SXGA+(1400x1050) TFT LCD, 16x10x24x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM,
    >>> Modem(CDC), Ethernet(LOM), Secure Chip(TCPA), UltraNav, Li-Ion
    >>> battery, WinXP Pro"
    >>>
    >>> The above is what I got from Lenovo's site. When I enter System
    >>> Device manger, found icon - infrared device - IBM Thinkpad fast
    >>> infrared port. I have infrared port and what can I use it for? Also
    >>> in the taskbar lower right side, there is an Bluetooth device icon,
    >>> is this laptop installed with Bluetooth? How come it's not in the
    >>> System Device manager?

    >> Okay on XP - sorry that I missed that before.

    > XP Pro.
    >>
    >> As to BlueTooth, both the spec and the icon suggest you do have it.
    >> In device manager the BT device is not among Network adapters but
    >> higher, between Batteries and Computer. Is nothing there?

    > I can see the infrared icon, but none BT in the between Batteries and
    > computer or anywhere in the device manager. I may have ticked or
    > loaded the driver it somewhere when I messed around, without knowing
    > it? I download PC Doctor and could not determine if I have a BT.
    > Tony thanks for being so patient.

    A couple of things to add...

    Most ThinkPads that had wireless as an option but didn't have a card fitted
    when sold were "wireless ready" meaning that the antenna are already in
    place. To confirm that (or otherwise) download the Hardware Maintenace
    manual by clicking on the link on the following page, right below the specs:
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30
    Find where the miniPCI card goes (I'm not familiar with the T30, it's likely
    under a cover or under the keyboard or palm rest) and see if there are
    antenna wires there. If so you can fit a wireless card quite easilly althoug
    it would need to either be an IBM one or you'd have to modify your BIOS to
    accept it. That's not too hard. BTW this is a great site for ThinkPad stuf"
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/
    You can search that site for "1802 hack" to find an ISO for a bootable CD
    (or floppy I believe) that will allow you to use non-IBM wireless cards.

    Also, that model can have either a modem or a bluetooth module, as the
    did you get it second-hand with the current OS install? If so someone may
    have used a USB bluetooth adapter and the icon persists. Or maybe someone
    replaced the modem DC with a bluetooth one (although it would show in Device
    Manager). Therefore I'm guessing the former.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2010
  11. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:53:20 +1300, "~misfit~"

    >A couple of things to add...
    >
    >Most ThinkPads that had wireless as an option but didn't have a card fitted
    >when sold were "wireless ready" meaning that the antenna are already in
    >place. To confirm that (or otherwise) download the Hardware Maintenace
    >manual by clicking on the link on the following page, right below the specs:
    >http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30

    The above link new to me. I will digest it later. Thanks

    >Find where the miniPCI card goes (I'm not familiar with the T30, it's likely
    >under a cover or under the keyboard or palm rest) and see if there are
    >antenna wires there. If so you can fit a wireless card quite easilly althoug
    >it would need to either be an IBM one or you'd have to modify your BIOS to
    >accept it. That's not too hard. BTW this is a great site for ThinkPad stuf"

    I only remove the HD, memory and DVD/CDRW without damaging it. It's impossible
    to see if there is an antenna and wires installed unless you remove the frame's
    screen and I am not going to do it. I have downloaded and read the PDF manual
    and hardware's. I also installed PC-Doctor, did not learn anything new. I am
    still not sure if an infrared port or BT installed. However, I am sure it does
    not have wifi installed.

    >http://forum.thinkpads.com/

    Will check here later.

    >You can search that site for "1802 hack" to find an ISO for a bootable CD
    >(or floppy I believe) that will allow you to use non-IBM wireless cards.

    >Also, that model can have either a modem or a bluetooth module, as the
    >did you get it second-hand with the current OS install? If so someone may
    >have used a USB bluetooth adapter and the icon persists. Or maybe someone
    >replaced the modem DC with a bluetooth one (although it would show in Device
    >Manager). Therefore I'm guessing the former.

    (Below, may sound confuse. Tying to explain as simply as possible)
    Got it used with HD format "Clean." When I startup it was BLANK. Spend days to
    recovery the O/S. With a used Dell Laptop, I Goggle and found the motherboard
    where the memory socket seat maybe crack. I shim it and it works, but unable to
    bootup DVD/CDRW nor the floppy disk. I bought a used HD with IBM recovery
    installed as "factory installed." Tested the DVD/CDRW, "dead." Mess around IBM
    patch. Manage to fix the DVD/CDRW.

    There is a modem installed. I am not going back to stoneage dial-up. I just
    migrated from Win98SE desktop to a used Laptop WinXP pro. I would like to know
    what in the T30 and learn how to setups the router, and laptop wifi before I
    move in a few week time.

    Thanks for your help.
    dwn, Jan 26, 2010
  12. On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:46:17 -0800, dwn <dwn <>> wrote:

    > I only remove the HD, memory and DVD/CDRW without damaging it. It's impossible
    > to see if there is an antenna and wires installed unless you remove the frame's
    > screen and I am not going to do it.

    Not quite. Yes, the two antennas would be in the screen frame. But if
    they are installed then their presence can be discovered by looking for the
    presence of the two leads that would be laying near to the miniPCI socket.

    > I have downloaded and read the PDF manual
    > and hardware's. I also installed PC-Doctor, did not learn anything new. I am
    > still not sure if an infrared port or BT installed. However, I am sure it does
    > not have wifi installed.

    I have never seen any thinkpad that did not have IR installed.

    On the BT front I suggest you install and run the Belarc Advisor which is a
    free program that will give you a complete inventory of all hardware and
    installed/registered software in your machine.

    Tony
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 26, 2010
  13. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:39:45 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:46:17 -0800, dwn <dwn <>> wrote:
    >
    >> I only remove the HD, memory and DVD/CDRW without damaging it. It's impossible
    >> to see if there is an antenna and wires installed unless you remove the frame's
    >> screen and I am not going to do it.

    >Not quite. Yes, the two antennas would be in the screen frame. But if
    >they are installed then their presence can be discovered by looking for the
    >presence of the two leads that would be laying near to the miniPCI socket.
    >
    >> I have downloaded and read the PDF manual
    >> and hardware's. I also installed PC-Doctor, did not learn anything new. I am
    >> still not sure if an infrared port or BT installed. However, I am sure it does
    >> not have wifi installed.

    >I have never seen any thinkpad that did not have IR installed.
    >
    >On the BT front I suggest you install and run the Belarc Advisor which is a
    >free program that will give you a complete inventory of all hardware and
    >installed/registered software in your machine.
    >
    >http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    >
    >Tony

    Can't sleep so pick up where I left off.
    I ran Belarc and found I have infrared fast port and no BT.
    Tony, thanks a really good stuff and dangerous too if anyone can see what I see.
    It also include all installed software keys and missing MS security hotfix. I
    will continue to digest it tomorrow and update what needed.

    Now, can you suggest where I can find a good ABC..... step by step setting my
    router and install my Linksys USB wireless adaptor. The initial setting of my
    router and Dell Latitude D600 wifi was done by Cisco, with their robot and it
    took about 3 hours. I would like to do it myself using Thinkpad T30 as a guinea
    pig and won't screwup my Dell laptop. Thanks, everyone should installed Belarc!
    dwn, Jan 26, 2010
  14. dwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:53:20 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >
    >> A couple of things to add...
    >>
    >> Most ThinkPads that had wireless as an option but didn't have a card
    >> fitted when sold were "wireless ready" meaning that the antenna are
    >> already in place. To confirm that (or otherwise) download the
    >> Hardware Maintenace manual by clicking on the link on the following
    >> page, right below the specs:
    >> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T30

    > The above link new to me. I will digest it later. Thanks

    No problems. It's a useful site although it is oriented towards running
    linux on a ThinkPad.

    >> Find where the miniPCI card goes (I'm not familiar with the T30,
    >> it's likely under a cover or under the keyboard or palm rest) and
    >> see if there are antenna wires there. If so you can fit a wireless
    >> card quite easilly althoug it would need to either be an IBM one or
    >> you'd have to modify your BIOS to accept it. That's not too hard.
    >> BTW this is a great site for ThinkPad stuf"

    > I only remove the HD, memory and DVD/CDRW without damaging it. It's
    > impossible to see if there is an antenna and wires installed unless
    > you remove the frame's screen and I am not going to do it.

    You don't have to remove the screen.

    > I have
    > downloaded and read the PDF manual and hardware's.

    I just did as well to help you. If you go to page 80 you'll see that there's
    a cover on the bottom that you can remove (two 'captured' screws) that gives
    you acces to both the miniPCI slot and the DC slot. From what you've said
    there will be a modem in the DC slot (MDC) so no bluetooth. However you'll
    be able to see if there are antenna wires for the wireless and I'm betting
    that there are.

    > I also installed
    > PC-Doctor, did not learn anything new.
    > I am still not sure if an
    > infrared port or BT installed. However, I am sure it does not have
    > wifi installed.

    All ThinkPads (at least that age and newer) have infrared.

    >> http://forum.thinkpads.com/

    > Will check here later.

    It's a great site.

    >> You can search that site for "1802 hack" to find an ISO for a
    >> bootable CD (or floppy I believe) that will allow you to use non-IBM
    >> wireless cards.

    >> Also, that model can have either a modem or a bluetooth module, as
    >> the previous page states. It wasn't fitted with bluetooth from the
    >> factory so did you get it second-hand with the current OS install?
    >> If so someone may have used a USB bluetooth adapter and the icon
    >> persists. Or maybe someone replaced the modem DC with a bluetooth
    >> one (although it would show in Device Manager). Therefore I'm
    >> guessing the former.

    > (Below, may sound confuse. Tying to explain as simply as possible)
    > Got it used with HD format "Clean." When I startup it was BLANK.
    > Spend days to recovery the O/S. With a used Dell Laptop, I Goggle and
    > found the motherboard where the memory socket seat maybe crack. I
    > shim it and it works,

    Lucky! www.thinkwiki mention this possible problem with memory slot on their
    T30 page.

    > but unable to bootup DVD/CDRW nor the floppy
    > disk. I bought a used HD with IBM recovery installed as "factory
    > installed." Tested the DVD/CDRW, "dead." Mess around IBM patch.
    > Manage to fix the DVD/CDRW.

    There's your bluetooth mystery solved. The recovery partition that is on the
    drive that you bought isn't for your specific machine type, it's for one
    that has bluetooth. That's why there's the bluetooth icon, the software is
    installed but the hardware isn't there. If your machine was factory-fitted
    with bluetooth there would also be an icon on the lid where the battery
    indicator and hibernate LEDs are. (See ThinkWiki page.)

    > There is a modem installed. I am not going back to stoneage dial-up.
    > I just migrated from Win98SE desktop to a used Laptop WinXP pro. I
    > would like to know what in the T30 and learn how to setups the
    > router, and laptop wifi before I move in a few week time.

    Well, no need to take the screen to bits that's for sure. I believe that all
    ThinkPads that are from a range where wireless was a factory option had the
    antenna and wires fitted into the lid even if the final configuration didn't
    have a wireless miniPCI card fitted. Otherwise it would have made the
    production line too complicated and the wires and bits of metal they use for
    antennas aren't very expensive. That's why I'm betting that if you remove
    that cover on the bottom you'll see a pair of wires, one black and one grey.

    > Thanks for your help.

    No problem. Welcome to the wonderful world of ThinkPads. I have four at the
    moment, I just can't seem to part with them. I think that they're worth far
    more than I could get for them so, when I upgrade I tend to keep the 'old'
    one. <g>
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 26, 2010
  15. On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:42:21 -0800, dwn <dwn <>> wrote:

    > Now, can you suggest where I can find a good ABC..... step by step setting my
    > router and install my Linksys USB wireless adaptor. The initial setting of my
    > router and Dell Latitude D600 wifi was done by Cisco, with their robot and it
    > took about 3 hours. I would like to do it myself using Thinkpad T30 as a guinea
    > pig and won't screwup my Dell laptop. Thanks, everyone should installed Belarc!

    Do you know both the wireless ESSID (name) and security key for the Access
    Point of your router? If not then things are more risky because most
    routers will not display the current security key - only allow you to
    change it to a new known one. And doing that will mean that the wireless
    setting on the Dell will stop working and need to be changed. But if you
    have that information then try to proceed on the T30 with these guides:

    1) http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-adapter.html

    2) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx
    and jump down to the section "Connect your computers and devices".

    3) http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/configwlan.htm

    They all seem to be simple and they say things in different ways.

    Let us know if you make progress or where you get stuck.

    Tony
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 26, 2010
  16. dwn

    dwn Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:51:48 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:42:21 -0800, dwn <dwn <>> wrote:
    >
    >> Now, can you suggest where I can find a good ABC..... step by step setting my
    >> router and install my Linksys USB wireless adaptor. The initial setting of my
    >> router and Dell Latitude D600 wifi was done by Cisco, with their robot and it
    >> took about 3 hours. I would like to do it myself using Thinkpad T30 as a guinea
    >> pig and won't screwup my Dell laptop. Thanks, everyone should installed Belarc!

    >Do you know both the wireless ESSID (name) and security key for the Access
    >Point of your router? If not then things are more risky because most
    >routers will not display the current security key - only allow you to
    >change it to a new known one. And doing that will mean that the wireless
    >setting on the Dell will stop working and need to be changed. But if you
    >have that information then try to proceed on the T30 with these guides:

    I did something very stupid. I start by checking my wireless network "XXXXX" to
    activate it, I connect using the password. I found instead connecting to my
    wireless Router, it pickup a familiar nearby wireless network which I remember
    seeing it very often in the past. I immediately did something to prevent
    connecting it. Now, I believe it gone (Lower l/H corner of taskbar). I think I
    lost it.

    Now, I really don't know what to do. I am connect to Internet using cable
    connect. Wireless GONE "MAYBE?

    I try to setup my router before I migrate to Dell Laptop after countless try, I
    gave up and called Cisco. They charge me just $9 (about 3 hrs) to setup
    the WRT 54G router and Dell Linksys USB G adaptor (I did not know I have a
    built-in Intel Mini adaptor earlier). If my wireless are gone, the safest way is
    to call Cisco again, with their robot, This time I will ask more questions and
    WRITE it down.

    What your suggestion? If I ask Cisco to it I will have to do it late in the
    evening when everything a quiet so I can concentrate.

    dwn, Jan 26, 2010
  17. dwn

    wrote:

    >On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:42:21 -0800, dwn <dwn <>> wrote:
    >
    >> Now, can you suggest where I can find a good ABC..... step by step setting my
    >> router and install my Linksys USB wireless adaptor. The initial setting of my
    >> router and Dell Latitude D600 wifi was done by Cisco, with their robot and it
    >> took about 3 hours. I would like to do it myself using Thinkpad T30 as a guinea
    >> pig and won't screwup my Dell laptop. Thanks, everyone should installed Belarc!

    >Do you know both the wireless ESSID (name) and security key for the Access
    >Point of your router? If not then things are more risky because most
    >routers will not display the current security key - only allow you to
    >change it to a new known one. And doing that will mean that the wireless
    >setting on the Dell will stop working and need to be changed. But if you
    >have that information then try to proceed on the T30 with these guides:
    >
    >1) http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-adapter.html
    >
    >2) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx
    >and jump down to the section "Connect your computers and devices".
    >
    >3) http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/configwlan.htm
    >
    >They all seem to be simple and they say things in different ways.
    >
    >Let us know if you make progress or where you get stuck.
    >
    >Tony

    Sorry, I did not check the above links before I screwed up. I should have digest
    #3 setting wireless router and try it before I before I call Cisco?

    Thanks again.
    dwn, Jan 26, 2010
  18. On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:11:22 -0800, dwn <dwn <>> wrote:

    > On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:51:48 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 01:42:21 -0800, dwn <dwn <>> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now, can you suggest where I can find a good ABC..... step by step setting my
    >>> router and install my Linksys USB wireless adaptor. The initial setting of my
    >>> router and Dell Latitude D600 wifi was done by Cisco, with their robot and it
    >>> took about 3 hours. I would like to do it myself using Thinkpad T30 as a guinea
    >>> pig and won't screwup my Dell laptop. Thanks, everyone should installed Belarc!

    >> Do you know both the wireless ESSID (name) and security key for the Access
    >> Point of your router? If not then things are more risky because most
    >> routers will not display the current security key - only allow you to
    >> change it to a new known one. And doing that will mean that the wireless
    >> setting on the Dell will stop working and need to be changed. But if you
    >> have that information then try to proceed on the T30 with these guides:

    > I did something very stupid. I start by checking my wireless network "XXXXX" to
    > activate it, I connect using the password. I found instead connecting to my
    > wireless Router, it pickup a familiar nearby wireless network which I remember
    > seeing it very often in the past. I immediately did something to prevent
    > connecting it. Now, I believe it gone (Lower l/H corner of taskbar). I think I
    > lost it.
    >
    > Now, I really don't know what to do. I am connect to Internet using cable
    > connect. Wireless GONE "MAYBE?
    >
    > I try to setup my router before I migrate to Dell Laptop after countless try, I
    > gave up and called Cisco. They charge me just $9 (about 3 hrs) to setup
    > the WRT 54G router and Dell Linksys USB G adaptor (I did not know I have a
    > built-in Intel Mini adaptor earlier). If my wireless are gone, the safest way is
    > to call Cisco again, with their robot, This time I will ask more questions and
    > WRITE it down.
    >
    > What your suggestion? If I ask Cisco to it I will have to do it late in the
    > evening when everything a quiet so I can concentrate.

    If Cisco can reconnect your Linksys router to your Dell for $9 then I agree
    that you should go for it. And yes, do make note of the wireless AP name
    or SSID and the encryption key that are assigned, to use them with the T30.

    Tony
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 26, 2010