Finder: launch from terminal command line?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Robert A Moeser, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. hi!

    Something I did made the Finder crash. I don't remember clearly - I may,
    at some point, have decided it had become unresponsive and "relaunched" it.

    Only it didn't. Relaunch, that is.

    I was able to log in as another user and there was the Finder.

    I finally restarted the machine (which actually took two restarts) and I
    have the Finder again, just fine or so it seems. This is the first time
    I have ever had to restart besides Apple software updates.

    Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal? I did happen to have a
    terminal window open but couldn't find out how.

    What else might I have tried less drastic than shutting down? Is there
    anything I should check now?

    It all seemed to start when I plugged in a USB flash memory keychain
    thing. Now I have to regain confidence before I do that again.

    --
    rob

    Robert A Moeser, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Robert A Moeser

    D P Schreber Guest

    On 2005-01-30, Robert A Moeser <> wrote:
    > Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal?

    Run 'open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app'.

    D P Schreber, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Robert A Moeser

    Király Guest

    Robert A Moeser <> wrote:
    > What else might I have tried less drastic than shutting down? Is there
    > anything I should check now?

    How about clicking the Finder icon in the Dock?

    Király, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Robert A Moeser

    Greg Shenaut Guest

    Robert A Moeser <> exponit:
    > Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal?

    I put the following trivial scripts in ~/bin (make sure that that ~/bin in your PATH
    and that you make the script files executable):

    in a file called "run":

    exec osascript <<EOF
    tell app "$*"
    activate
    end tell

    in a file called "quit":

    exec osascript <<EOF
    tell app "$*"
    quit
    end tell

    They are quite handy in spite of being incredibly simple. Type "run finder" to start
    Finder, or "quit dvd player" to quit DVD Player, etc.

    Greg Shenaut

    Greg Shenaut, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Robert A Moeser

    jdak Guest

    has anyone tried running disk utilities lately??? or running a fcsk???

    jdak, Jan 30, 2005
  6. D P Schreber <> wrote:

    > On 2005-01-30, Robert A Moeser <> wrote:
    > > Can the Finder be launched from the Terminal?

    > Run 'open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app'.

    $ open -a Finder

    should be sufficient

    --
    Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

    PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 300+80GB Disk, 8xDVD+/-RW, Bluetooth
    mus+tastatur, R9600Pro, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT

    Morten Reippuert Knudsen, Jan 31, 2005
  7. Robert A Moeser

    news Guest

    Robert A Moeser said the following on 30/01/2005 04:46 pm:
    > hi!
    >
    > Something I did made the Finder crash. I don't remember clearly - I may,
    > at some point, have decided it had become unresponsive and "relaunched" it.

    <...>

    > What else might I have tried less drastic than shutting down? Is there
    > anything I should check now?

    Would cmd+alt esc work, then click finder then 'relaunch'?

    Andy

    news, Feb 11, 2005