Finding a reputable domain name provider

Discussion in 'Apple' started by paris2venice, Aug 18, 2012.

  1. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

    1. Advertising

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    paris2venice <> wrote:

    > Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
    > domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
    > domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
    > year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
    > company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

    It would be nice if the company actually advertised their prices
    upfront without having to negotiate and do painfully slow things on
    their website (pretending to buy). That is a clue to be wary of them.

    --
    dorayme

    1. Advertising

  3. Salvatore

    Salvatore Guest

    On 2012-08-18, paris2venice <> wrote:
    > However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com domain.

    I'd be surprised if they were offering a *.com* domain for $3.99 per
    year. It's usually a .info that's offered at that price.

    --
    Blah blah bleh...

    GCS/CM d(-)@>-- s+:- !a C++$ UBL++++$ L+$ W+++$ w M++ Y++ b++

  4. Tim Lance

    Tim Lance Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
    > domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
    > domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
    > year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
    > company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

    Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.

    My $.02 goes to

    https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net

    --

    Tim

  5. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 08-18-2012 01:50, paris2venice wrote:
    > Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

    I'm so pleased with the technical competence of TigerTech.net
    that I don't mind the _slightly_ higher price.

    I fired GoDaddy--they used to be pretty good AND cheap.
    Now they're just cheap.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    ¡Qué quiero realmente hacer es comer un perrito caliente!
    ç§ãŒå®Ÿéš›ã«ã—ãŸã„ã¨æ€ã†ä½•ã‚’ホットドッグを食ã¹ã‚‹ã“ã¨ã§ã‚ã‚‹!
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=463

  6. paris2venice

    paris2venice Guest

    On Saturday, August 18, 2012 5:57:28 PM UTC-7, Tim Lance wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
    >
    > (in article <>):
    >

    > > Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a

    > > domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com

    > > domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a

    > > year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this

    > > company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

    > Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.
    >

    > My $.02 goes to
    >

    > https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net
    >

    > --
    >

    > Tim

    Thanks a bunch. I like what I see!

  7. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 08-18-2012 20:57, Tim Lance wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
    >> domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
    >> domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
    >> year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
    >> company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

    > Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.
    >
    > My $.02 goes to
    >
    > https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net

    Two cents? More like two hundred dollars annually for my two very low
    volume websites. These two are currently using about two percent of
    their allowed volume at TigerTech, where they cost a bit over $150/year.

    GoDaddy is cheaper, but I couldn't accept their screw-up rates any more.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    You always have time for what you do first.

  8. Tim Lance

    Tim Lance Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 19:57:28 -0500, Tim Lance wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 00:50:35 -0500, paris2venice wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> Mostly because I admin'd my own DNS server, I never had any need to use a
    >> domain name. However, my daughter has grown up and now wants her own .com
    >> domain. I saw that http://www.register.com offers domain names for $4.00 a
    >> year. Is this about what I should expect now? Has anyone ever used this
    >> company? Do you know of a company that you would recommend? Many thanks.

    > Sometimes the first year's price is nice. Then they get ya.
    >
    > My $.02 goes to
    >
    > https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net

    Volume is relative. It's easy to calculate relative costs. Mine is so low in
    all the time I've been there (3 years approx) that I've spent less than I
    would have in half a year with a more prominent host. And the registration
    fee/renewal is nominal.

    --

    Tim

  9. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 08-19-2012 01:52, Wes Groleau wrote:
    > GoDaddy is cheaper, but I couldn't accept their screw-up rates any more.

    Bu that I do not mean the rates the charge, but the frequency at which
    they screw things up. Never had a complaint for years, but the last two
    years it has been terrible.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Words of the Wild Wes
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW

  10. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > > GoDaddy is cheaper, but I couldn't accept their screw-up rates any more.

    > > Bu that I do not mean the rates the charge, but the frequency at which
    > > they screw things up. Never had a complaint for years, but the last two
    > > years it has been terrible.

    > GoDaddy has been in the news several times for using questionable
    > practices like purchasing domain names people search for to see if they
    > are available and then turning around and offering to sell those domain
    > names to those people to make a profit, and squatting on those names
    > indefinitely if you don't purchase them from GoDaddy. They also have
    > very shoddy support - you are just a number. I wouldn't trust them,
    > personally.

    they're not the only ones who do that. trapping searches is an old
    trick that's been going on for *years*.

  11. gtr

    gtr Guest

    On 2012-08-21 16:22:07 +0000, nospam said:

    >>> Bu that I do not mean the rates the charge, but the frequency at which
    >>> they screw things up. Never had a complaint for years, but the last two
    >>> years it has been terrible.

    >> GoDaddy has been in the news several times for using questionable
    >> practices like purchasing domain names people search for to see if they
    >> are available and then turning around and offering to sell those domain
    >> names to those people to make a profit, and squatting on those names
    >> indefinitely if you don't purchase them from GoDaddy. They also have
    >> very shoddy support - you are just a number. I wouldn't trust them,
    >> personally.

    > they're not the only ones who do that. trapping searches is an old
    > trick that's been going on for *years*.

    Is "register.com", the site indicated by the OP, actually GoDaddy? If
    not is register.com a suitable place for domain registration?

  12. Bread

    Bread Guest

    On 2012-08-21 15:29:38 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

    > In article <k0ul1m$bol$>,
    > Wes Groleau <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 08-19-2012 01:52, Wes Groleau wrote:
    >>> GoDaddy is cheaper, but I couldn't accept their screw-up rates any more.

    >> Bu that I do not mean the rates the charge, but the frequency at which
    >> they screw things up. Never had a complaint for years, but the last two
    >> years it has been terrible.

    > [GoDaddy] has very shoddy support - you are just a number. I wouldn't
    > trust them,
    > personally.

    FWIW, I've used GoDaddy as well as a couple of others. The only reason
    I've ever found to go with GoDaddy was that they were cheap. I *hate*
    their website, interface, and their constant "buy more crap" screens.

    That said, I've found their support to be mostly okay.

    I have had some nightmare experiences which make GoDaddy seem like a
    walk in the park. Look into the history of RegisterFly for one of them.

    I've recently been working with NameCheap.com and been very happy with
    them. I don't do anything but register domain names with these
    registrars, or at absolute most, forward some e-mail. Any actual
    hosting of anything important is done elsewhere, partly because I want
    more control over features, and partly because I should be free to
    change registrars without having to change hosting arrangements.
    GoDaddy's hosting was the main source of problems I ever had with them.
    I have no idea if NameCheap's hosting services are good or bad, but as
    a domain registrar, they've been perfectly nice to deal with and pretty
    close in price to GoDaddy.

  13. In article <2012082110581426187-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <> wrote:

    > Is "register.com", the site indicated by the OP, actually GoDaddy? If
    > not is register.com a suitable place for domain registration?

    register.com is not GoDaddy. register.com was at one time the only place
    you could register domain names.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

  14. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    In message <2012082110581426187-xxx@yyyzzz>
    gtr <> wrote:
    > On 2012-08-21 16:22:07 +0000, nospam said:

    >>> GoDaddy has been in the news several times for using questionable
    >>> practices like purchasing domain names people search for to see if they
    >>> are available and then turning around and offering to sell those domain
    >>> names to those people to make a profit, and squatting on those names
    >>> indefinitely if you don't purchase them from GoDaddy. They also have
    >>> very shoddy support - you are just a number. I wouldn't trust them,
    >>> personally.

    >> they're not the only ones who do that. trapping searches is an old
    >> trick that's been going on for *years*.

    > Is "register.com", the site indicated by the OP, actually GoDaddy? If
    > not is register.com a suitable place for domain registration?

    I use Hover.com.

    I won't do business with GoDaddy.

    --
    Naked blonde walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm, and two-foot
    salami under the other. The bartender says, I guess you won't be needing

  15. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 08-21-2012 11:29, Jolly Roger wrote:
    > indefinitely if you don't purchase them from GoDaddy. They also have
    > very shoddy support - you are just a number. I wouldn't trust them,

    That's what I was talking about. My first few years with them, the
    support was excellent. But the last two, they screw up royally, and
    then try to blame me.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    I won't burn your Koran because I don't want you to burn my Bible;
    but if you burn my Bible, no one's going to die.
    — Robert Rhee