fire GL 4

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Tom, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi ,
    I plan to purchase an agp ati fire GL 2nd hand.
    its first use should be for 3dsmax, but i'd like to know if the 3D games (direct3d-directdraw,
    openGL, direct-X) shall run with ATI's default drivers, or omega's,...
    Tia

    1. Advertising

  2. Tom schrieb:

    > I plan to purchase an agp ati fire GL 2nd hand.

    Do You like ancients? ;-)

    > its first use should be for 3dsmax, but i'd like to know if the 3D games (direct3d-directdraw,
    > openGL, direct-X) shall run with ATI's default drivers, or omega's,...

    Forget that! The FireGL 4 has _nothing_ in common with the more modern
    FireGL variants. The FireGL 4 design is still from Diamond Technologies
    and is based on an IBM RT1000 Rastierizer and IBM GT1000 Geometry
    Processor. The card does OpenGL 1.0 quite good (for a card from 2001
    vintage) but has _no_ Direct3D support, hence no Direct3D games on it.
    There are drivers for WinXP, but they are somewhat dated. Besides that,
    you'll need a mainboard that has AGP Pro on it. Standard AGP won't work.

    If I were You I'd look around for a FireGL 8800. Unlike the FireGL 4 the
    8800 is an ATI design, uses the modern FireGL drivers which are based on
    the Catalyst drivers for Radeons, supports Direct3D, works in a generic
    AGP slot, and is way faster than the FireGL 4. The FireGL 8800 should be
    obtainable for well below 50 bucks today.

    Benjamin

    1. Advertising

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Le Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:37:25 +0100, Benjamin Gawert <> a écrit :

    >Tom schrieb:
    >
    >> I plan to purchase an agp ati fire GL 2nd hand.

    >Do You like ancients? ;-)
    >
    >> its first use should be for 3dsmax, but i'd like to know if the 3D games (direct3d-directdraw,
    >> openGL, direct-X) shall run with ATI's default drivers, or omega's,...

    >Forget that! The FireGL 4 has _nothing_ in common with the more modern
    >FireGL variants. The FireGL 4 design is still from Diamond Technologies
    >and is based on an IBM RT1000 Rastierizer and IBM GT1000 Geometry
    >Processor. The card does OpenGL 1.0 quite good (for a card from 2001
    >vintage) but has _no_ Direct3D support, hence no Direct3D games on it.
    >There are drivers for WinXP, but they are somewhat dated. Besides that,
    >you'll need a mainboard that has AGP Pro on it. Standard AGP won't work.
    >
    >If I were You I'd look around for a FireGL 8800. Unlike the FireGL 4 the
    >8800 is an ATI design, uses the modern FireGL drivers which are based on
    >the Catalyst drivers for Radeons, supports Direct3D, works in a generic
    >AGP slot, and is way faster than the FireGL 4. The FireGL 8800 should be
    >obtainable for well below 50 bucks today.
    >
    >Benjamin

    Thanks for the reply.