    JayOxO Guest

    Does having devices (all firewire 400) in a daisy chain degrade performance.

    Jay

    JayOxO, Nov 3, 2007

  2. JayOxO

    Király Guest

    JayOxO <> wrote:
    > Does having devices (all firewire 400) in a daisy chain degrade performance.

    Not in my experience. I have two FW400 drives daisy chained right now
    and do not notice any difference when they are both hooked to the Mac's
    own FW ports.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    Király, Nov 3, 2007

  3. JayOxO

    Jeff Wiseman Guest

    Király wrote:

    > JayOxO <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does having devices (all firewire 400) in a daisy chain degrade performance.

    > Not in my experience. I have two FW400 drives daisy chained right now
    > and do not notice any difference when they are both hooked to the Mac's
    > own FW ports.

    Try turning the power off on the one in the middle of the chain
    and see if the other one continues to "perform" as well :)

    Some firewire ports will drag the bus down or not pass data
    through if you shut them off. I have two OWC Mercury external
    drives which I like very much but they do this. If they are daisy
    chained and the one in the middle is turned off, the one on the
    end dies. I use one for bulk storage and the other for backups.
    usually they are both turned off but 95% of the time when I need
    one, I only need ONE, and if they are not both connected directly
    to my iMac G5, I have to always turn both on at the same time.

    --
    Jeff Wiseman
    to reply, just remove ALLTHESPAM

    Jeff Wiseman, Nov 3, 2007
  4. JayOxO

    Király Guest

    Jeff Wiseman <> wrote:
    > Try turning the power off on the one in the middle of the chain
    > and see if the other one continues to "perform" as well :)

    I just tested it - no difference. 2 minutes and 10 seconds to copy a 4.7
    GB file to the outbound firewire drive, regardless of whether the drive
    in the middle of the chain was on and mounted, or powered off. These are
    LaCie d2 drives connected on the FW400 bus.

    Not all FW devices are created equal, though. Your drives are a case in
    point. I have a Canon camcorder that will not work with my Mac unless
    all other FW devices are disconnected!

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    Király, Nov 3, 2007
  5. JayOxO

    JayOxO Guest

    Király at wrote:

    I just tested it - no difference. 2 minutes and 10 seconds to copy a 4.7
    GB file to the outbound firewire drive, regardless of whether the drive
    in the middle of the chain was on and mounted, or powered off. These are
    LaCie d2 drives connected on the FW400 bus.

    Not all FW devices are created equal, though. Your drives are a case in
    point. I have a Canon camcorder that will not work with my Mac unless
    all other FW devices are disconnected!

    --
    K.

    I will be using all LaCie D2 drives, so that's good news. At the moment I
    have a daisy chain of DVD burner, D2 HD and Canon camcorder (works OK), soon
    to be joined by a 500GB HD. Having two HDs in the chain was the reason for
    my question.

    John

    JayOxO, Nov 3, 2007
  6. JayOxO

    Ilgaz Öcal Guest

    On 2007-11-03 03:17:26 +0200, JayOxO <> said:

    > Does having devices (all firewire 400) in a daisy chain degrade performance.
    >
    > Jay

    As far as I know, Firewire 400/800 is more like SCSI which doesn't
    degrade performance. In fact many professional external firewire disks
    have "passthrough" firewire connectors to make them easy to set as RAID.

    It is not like USB in that sense.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Öcal, Nov 3, 2007