    empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
    anything about firewire .

    Thanks
    Von Fourche, Jan 29, 2011

  2. Von Fourche

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 28, 9:47 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    wrote:
    >     I have a Dell E510 Windows XP.  It's about five years old.  Imay soon
    > buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC.  My computer
    > does not have a firewire card.  Can I simply buy one and install it?  Will
    > my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in an
    > empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports?  I don't know
    > anything about firewire .
    >
    > Thanks

    You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
    drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.
    Bob Villa, Jan 29, 2011

  3. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message
    On Jan 28, 9:47 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    wrote:
    > I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. It's about five years old. I may soon
    > buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. My computer
    > does not have a firewire card. Can I simply buy one and install it? Will
    > my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in
    > an
    > empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
    > anything about firewire .
    >
    > Thanks

    >You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
    >drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.

    After I posted my question I remembered - I want to make my laptop my
    editing machine. It does not have firewire. Can I install a firewire in
    that? It's a Dell Inspiron 6400.
    Von Fourche, Jan 29, 2011
  4. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    "Von Fourche" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 28, 9:47 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    > wrote:
    >> I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. It's about five years old. I may soon
    >> buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. My
    >> computer
    >> does not have a firewire card. Can I simply buy one and install it? Will
    >> my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in
    >> an
    >> empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
    >> anything about firewire .
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >>You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
    >>drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.

    > After I posted my question I remembered - I want to make my laptop my
    > editing machine. It does not have firewire. Can I install a firewire in
    > that? It's a Dell Inspiron 6400.

    I just looked at the side of my 6400. I see a small port that says 1394.
    So I'm assuming it already has a firewire card in it .
    Von Fourche, Jan 29, 2011
  5. Von Fourche

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Jan 29, 12:30 am, "Von Fourche" <>
    wrote:
    > "Von Fourche" <> wrote in message

    > > "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message
    > > On Jan 28, 9:47 pm, "Von Fourche" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> I have a Dell E510 Windows XP. It's about five years old. I may soon
    > >> buy a device (camcorder) that uses firewire to transfer to PC. My
    > >> computer
    > >> does not have a firewire card. Can I simply buy one and install it? Will
    > >> my PC/motherboard support this technology? Do you simply install them in
    > >> an
    > >> empty PCI port or do they go in special firewire ports? I don't know
    > >> anything about firewire .

    > >> Thanks

    > >>You are correct, they install in a PCI slot and XP will install the
    > >>drivers. I think mine cost $10 at Newegg.

    > >  After I posted my question I remembered  - I want to make my laptop my
    > > editing machine.  It does not have firewire.  Can I install a firewire in
    > > that? It's a Dell Inspiron 6400.

    >   I just looked at the side of my 6400.  I see a small port that says1394.
    > So I'm assuming it already has a firewire card in it .

    You're good to go then.
    Bob Villa, Jan 29, 2011